Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and Christmas Season 2012 in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi guys! A couple of questions for you. We're hoping that we're going to be able to squeeze in a trip to MVMCP at the end of our trip this ...
    missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Question Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and Christmas Season 2012

Hi guys! A couple of questions for you. We're hoping that we're going to be able to squeeze in a trip to MVMCP at the end of our trip this year (planning on 9th November, based on park hours and last year's party dates).

When do the tix normally go on sale? Also, what does the party offer that regular guests can't experience during a normal day at the park? Will there still be Xmas decs up on Main St., etc? We've never done a Christmas visit to WDW before and even though it will be right at the begining of the season, would like to know what sort of stuff to expect.

Also, regarding the Osborne Family lights at DHS, how early do they normally start showing that?

Thanks for your help!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and Christmas Season 2012

Hey Cara,

I checked the official Disney site but there is still nothing announced yet. Normally, the two year-end parties for Halloween and Christmas have their schedules and ticket sale dates announced at the same time. Since it's April, I would assume by June everything should be online (if not before). As for the extras, the characters are in holiday attire, for one. Then they will send out groups of characters to take nice pictures (Snow White and all the Dwarves two years ago, last year had five Pooh characters in a group as well a all of the Cinderella characters together). The music changes over to all-holiday music for the night, they have soap snow on Main Street, and there is a special parade with two showings, some stage shows (at the Castle and in Tomorrowland, plus a special Holiday Wishes show. And all of the mini street and side shows (Dapper Dans, the pirates sing-along show, Storytime with Belle, etc, are all holiday-themed.

A for rides, Fantasyland attractions are generally packed, Adventureland attractions are generally closed except for Pirates (sometimes the Magic Carpets are on, sometimes they're off). Splash Mountain is operating but is usually dead, Big Thunder is usually moderate, as is the Haunted Mansion. Tomorrowland Indy Speedway is moderate, though the rest of Tomorrowland is normally a ghost town, especially later on into the night. I have never NOT walked right onto Space Mountain. Literally walked on.

Be sure to eat BEFORE you go to the party. Most restaurants are closed that night, the others offer limited menus. For example, Liberty Tree Tavern turns into one of the hot chocolate/apple juice and cookies/fruit stations. So does Cosmic Ray's, and the back seating area becomes an all-night Dance Party for kids. Not sure if the back stations are serving food or not. Also, there are no Dole Whips sold that evening.

The Osboune lights are normally up for mid November. The Magic Kingom's holiday change is usually pretty quick after Halloween comes down.

Overall it is a nice experience to do at least once, but as the price keeps going up and up I am wondering if it's worth it to keep attending. They advertise it as running from 7-midnight, though I know you can unofficially get in much earlier and spend more time at the parks. The BEST advice I can give to you, which too many people don't listen to, is that unless Disney has conned/guilted you into buying length-of-stay passes (the pressure is on to keep guests at WDW for their whole stay so they don't get tempted to visit Sea World and Universal (both worthwhile destinations), if you are travelling on your own Magic Your Way tickets, DO NOT visit another park that day. If you're there for seven days and the forced you to buy seven day tickets as part of a package (I mean really... the parks for seven days straight?? umm, no), then there is no reason to waste an entire day's ticket on half a day at the park. Buy one less day on your pass, spend the day at the pool or DTD or at your resort (or heck, other resorts). Go shopping, have a nice lunch out, anything. But do NOT go to Epcot for a few hours. It is a total waste of a whole-day ticket when you are going to be paying over $60 to get into the Magic Kingdom as well. Just doesn't make sense.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Thanks for the info Supernova - exactly what I was after! Just need to be patient and wait a few more weeks for tix by the sounds of things. We've done Christmas at Disneyland Paris a few times, so interested to see how WDW do it, even though it will be so early in the season. It will be odd wandering around the parks with all the Xmas decs up and still in shorts - LOL! Whenever we've been at DLRP, it's been absolutely FREEZING! We even had REAL snow on one visit, which was amazing.

Anyway, I digress... great tips - will work this in to my itinerary now to make sure we get best bang for our buck.

Cheers!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

When I visited DLP, I didn't see anything for parties, though I was there at the beginning of November. The two parks were nicely decorated, though. I especially liked the scene with the snowmen they created back behind the Woody / Santa area.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    When I visited DLP, I didn't see anything for parties, though I was there at the beginning of November. The two parks were nicely decorated, though. I especially liked the scene with the snowmen they created back behind the Woody / Santa area.
    Yeah, at the moment, there don't have any Christmas parties, but like you said, the decor in the parks is lovely. The cold weather always helps the atmosphere as well. They are now doing Halloween parties, but there are only a few each year and not to the scale of MNSSHP. Although Frontierland always looks fantastic as they completely re-vamp the whole land so it's been invaded with pumpkin men who are trying to paint everything orange. Lots of great photo opportunities there alone.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

MY DISNEY TRIPS: