Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss How many miles? in the Ask The Experts forums; Dear Disney experts, how many miles will the average guest walk during an all day visit to the Magic Kingdom?...
    prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

How many miles?

Dear Disney experts, how many miles will the average guest walk during an all day visit to the Magic Kingdom?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: How many miles?

Probably not that many since 50%+ of their day will be standing in a slow moving line.

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder

There was an answer I saw on Google Answers that say 5-7 miles.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

Funny my feet tell me 50-60 lol!

manutdserg is offline A-Ticket holder

I think it is closer to 10 miles a day. We took a pedometer two trips ago and it was closer to the 10 mile-realm.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Did you turn the pedometer off while you were standing in line? And while you were riding rides.

Why turn it off in line? You are still walking, just alot slower.

Pedometers have to be properly calibrated to show accurate mileage, prickle. You have to walk taking normal strides, measure the distance walked, and then calibrate the pedo. Now, let's say your normal stride covers three feet. OK. Well, your normal stride in a queue line is going to be absolutely nowhere near three feet.

See the conundrum? The pedometer will not know this, it will still rack each step up as three feet of distance.

Plus, on any rides with bumps or up and down movements that thing would be going crazy. Adding three feet several times when you never took a single step.

If pedometers are not used properly they will tell you all sorts of fairy tales.

manutdserg is offline A-Ticket holder

To be honest, I hadn't thought about taking it off. In any event, the number is still quite high; and on average I would put it closer to 10.

I don't agree. The MK is about half a mile wide.

You telling me you're going to criss-cross that park 20 times over the course of the day? I would have to seriously doubt that.

I think 5 miles is much closer.

Am_hawthorne is offline A-Ticket holder

The first time I went to the world as an adult I read all the books and did a ton of research for my family. I too was curious about how much walking we would do so, i wore a pedometer. Because I thought this would be our only trip to Disney (we have gone three times since) I wanted to make sure we saw it all, therefor we really covered the parks. Here are my results:

Animal Kingdom............ 7.05 miles
    Magic Kingdom day 1 (fantasy land, frontier land, liberty square) ....7.01 miles
    Magic Kingdom day 2 (tomorrow land, adventure land, toon town) ...6.90 miles
    Hollywood Studios ........ 7.13 miles
    Epcot ..............10.26 miles

these are by no means accurate the ride attractions would shake me adding to the total number of steeps. Also while waiting in line i am sure i shifted my weight causing steps to be added without actually moving anywhere and the steps i took moving forward in line were much smaller in length than my actual stride.

Even though this data is admittedly flawed it helped to justify the dole whip and desserts !!
    Have Fun,
    Am_Hawthorne

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I think many people under estimate how many blocks they walk in the queues. Just look at how far you walk once inside Space Mountain.

In April when I was the only person entering Soarin after Illuminations, it took forever to get all the way into the final queue area. As many times as I had walked both the FP and Stand-bye I never had a concept of actually how far back the ride entrance was until I was completely alone. Wooba.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

Quote Originally Posted by prickle View Post
    Why turn it off in line? You are still walking, just alot slower.
    my thoughts too.

Why think about it? Go back and read my post explaining why.

Or, do some research on how a pedometer works.

Or, read the post above by Am-hawthorne.

Pedometers are only mostly accurate when you are taking full strides. Like I said, if one stride is three feet, and that's how you calibrate your pedometer, then that's how it will read every jolt it takes. You could stand in one place and jump up and down 1760 times and your pedometer would say you walked a mile.

Are you getting it?

The bottom line is this: due to slow moving queues (i.e. you will be taking far smaller strides) and rides that will bounce you around (hence triggering the pedometer) you CANNOT accurately gauge how many miles you walk around Disney using a pedometer.

Period.

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Why think about it? Go back and read my post explaining why.

Or, do some research on how a pedometer works.

Or, read the post above by Am-hawthorne.

Pedometers are only mostly accurate when you are taking full strides. Like I said, if one stride is three feet, and that's how you calibrate your pedometer, then that's how it will read every jolt it takes. You could stand in one place and jump up and down 1760 times and your pedometer would say you walked a mile.

Are you getting it?

The bottom line is this: due to slow moving queues (i.e. you will be taking far smaller strides) and rides that will bounce you around (hence triggering the pedometer) you CANNOT accurately gauge how many miles you walk around Disney using a pedometer.

Period.
    we read your post.
    Last edited by nicholas; 06-18-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast