Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss WDW neglected? in the Ask The Experts forums; That's how I've felt... It may not specifically fit, but the architecture and the description make it a fit within Liberty Squares limits......
    JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: WDW neglected?

That's how I've felt... It may not specifically fit, but the architecture and the description make it a fit within Liberty Squares limits...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Yes it does, though I'm not sure we care. The Haunted Mansion fits with the theming of Liberty Square, although it is more in the architecture than the ride itself. The WDW mansion is supposed to be styled after the mansions in NY along the Hudson River. I got married at Samuel Clemen's home, now called Abigail Kirsch at Tappan Hill. It's a beautiful old mansion overlooking the Hudson, much in the same style of the Haunted Mansion. In Disneyland, the house is less a mansion, and more styled after a large home in New Orleans. I was disappointed with the facade of the mansion there. In Disneyland Paris, the house is not quite rustic, but the ride's second half and tombstones are US western themed, since their mansion is in Frontierland. The Haunted Mansion is in a different land in each theme park, but I've only been to WDW, DL, and DLP so I can't speak on the others. But if not the ride, then at least the show buildings do fit with the theme of their locations, and that includes WDW's.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    That's how I've felt... It may not specifically fit, but the architecture and the description make it a fit within Liberty Squares limits...
    I think it's more the facade than the ride, though the ghost costumes suggest that it's taking place a long time ago. The bride and care taker? Not so much. The flow of the layout is odd, though, as the mansion appears to be built later than the rest of Liberty Square, and the expansion west as the years progressed moves towards Frontierland.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

As I said...

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Yes it does, though I'm not sure we care. The Haunted Mansion fits with the theming of Liberty Square, although it is more in the architecture than the ride itself. The WDW mansion is supposed to be styled after the mansions in NY along the Hudson River. I got married at Samuel Clemen's home, now called Abigail Kirsch at Tappan Hill. It's a beautiful old mansion overlooking the Hudson, much in the same style of the Haunted Mansion. In Disneyland, the house is less a mansion, and more styled after a large home in New Orleans. I was disappointed with the facade of the mansion there. In Disneyland Paris, the house is not quite rustic, but the ride's second half and tombstones are US western themed, since their mansion is in Frontierland. The Haunted Mansion is in a different land in each theme park, but I've only been to WDW, DL, and DLP so I can't speak on the others. But if not the ride, then at least the show buildings do fit with the theme of their locations, and that includes WDW's.
    Yep, nice explanation. From my understanding, the Hudson River Valley was aslo a good choice in themeing for the location of the mansion because it is the setting for the famous "Legend of Sleepy Hollow," which would have a been a popular story in the era in which Liberty Square is set. I guess the imagineers thought the creepy feel of the mansion would fit well in the Hudson River Valley since it already had a haunted backstory for it itself. Sleepy Hollow Refreshments, the small quick-service snack place on your right hand side just as you enter Liberty Square, is supposed to be themed to look like the home of Washington Irving, author of the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow", so the theming does go further than most people actually know.

Sorry to get the thread further off topic, just thought I'd throw that out there for those interested.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I think it's more the facade than the ride, though the ghost costumes suggest that it's taking place a long time ago. The bride and care taker? Not so much. The flow of the layout is odd, though, as the mansion appears to be built later than the rest of Liberty Square, and the expansion west as the years progressed moves towards Frontierland.
    I find it blends in just fine. HM is set back, the decor outside doesn't have a modern Hearst out front.
    The Riverboat helps blend the transition further. There are other areas where we could knit-pick apart the various land transitions. Tea Cups at the end of Tomorrowland. Seeing Tomorrowland corridor from the castle and hub. Does the Rabbit in Splash really represent Frontierland or the Magic Carpets represent the days of the Pirates or the Jungle. None of the above items are enough to get my undies in knot over. The one I am interested to see if the Imagineers cure is the Circus from Indy. They have added some landscaping but it still is odd to see from Indy however they might not be finished yet. Still not something that will ruin any experience for me. I'd rather they focus on keeping the E attractions like Splash and Space up and running, the transition doesn't matter much when they can't keep the major attractions operational.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    As I said...
    You mean as HE said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper10 View Post
    Yep, nice explanation. From my understanding, the Hudson River Valley was aslo a good choice in themeing for the location of the mansion because it is the setting for the famous "Legend of Sleepy Hollow," which would have a been a popular story in the era in which Liberty Square is set. I guess the imagineers thought the creepy feel of the mansion would fit well in the Hudson River Valley since it already had a haunted backstory for it itself. Sleepy Hollow Refreshments, the small quick-service snack place on your right hand side just as you enter Liberty Square, is supposed to be themed to look like the home of Washington Irving, author of the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow", so the theming does go further than most people actually know.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

LTTCMJAKE is offline A-Ticket holder

That would make this new version about five minutes too long.

Here's their chance to throw an overlay onto the Speedway and incorporate it into Fantasyland somehow. The world of tomorrow should not have lawnmower engine racing cars.
    I forgot where I read this but I read from an imagineer that Tomorrowland was supposed to showcase the true future of our society but technology was moving to fast to keep up so the imagineers just settled with a "fictional picture of tomorrow" hint monsters and stitch.
    JAKE

Yeh... Tomorrowlandgazette is supposed mirror more of a Buck Rogers sort of future... Like a 1950's glorified future... It worked soo much better... See the major problem with Futureworld in Epcot... This is one of the reasons...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yep. That was a point I made last year when we were discussing the problems with Future World. One of the things that helped seal it's fate was the internet that Spaceship Earth predicted it all those years ago.

Think about the World Key kiosks. Touch screens and video conferencing. Now we carry that kind of thing in our pocket. A universe of information is at our fingertips, imagineers really don't have the power to wow us with the future anymore. Not when we can go back to our rooms and play with our iPad that has more processing power than most of the original Future World attractions.

That is like Back to the Future part 2... Its funny to look back at those scenes and laugh at what they got completely wrong... Hover boards and the idea of still using pay phones and such... And then see what little they got right... Like hands free phones and the house thermostat... It makes you laugh... But there in lies the problem with a land based on the future... It ages quickly and at what point will it be outdated and what new technology can they possibly predict these days...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by LTTCMJAKE View Post
    I forgot where I read this but I read from an imagineer that Tomorrowland was supposed to showcase the true future of our society but technology was moving to fast to keep up so the imagineers just settled with a "fictional picture of tomorrow" hint monsters and stitch.
    I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not it is still Tomorrowland. We are questioning if the Speedway belongs there. Which, of course, it does not.

I love the smell of gasoline from likely a single cylinder engine in the morning...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    That is like Back to the Future part 2... Its funny to look back at those scenes and laugh at what they got completely wrong... Hover boards and the idea of still using pay phones and such... And then see what little they got right... Like hands free phones and the house thermostat... It makes you laugh... But there in lies the problem with a land based on the future... It ages quickly and at what point will it be outdated and what new technology can they possibly predict these days...
    Well, that's the whole thing.

It didn't used to age quickly. Things weren't as readily available in those days.

And on top of that, things weren't going from R&D to market with the blinding speed they do these days. Back then, the future looked amazing, and filled the imagination with a sense of wonder. These days? It's right before our eyes. And available at a store near you!

There's simply no way for Epcot to compete with that.

LTTCMJAKE is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Well, that's the whole thing.

It didn't used to age quickly. Things weren't as readily available in those days.

And on top of that, things weren't going from R&D to market with the blinding speed they do these days. Back then, the future looked amazing, and filled the imagination with a sense of wonder. These days? It's right before our eyes. And available at a store near you!

There's simply no way for Epcot to compete with that.
    I'm a design major and they've taught us how fast we need to get things out these days... hint: the reason why things are so poorly put together these days there's no time to make it a long lasting product (I hate saying that because I would rather make reliable products but that's how business runs these days)and I think Imagineering is in that problem to they don't get the time or resources they used to, to make mind blowing attractions like they used to...
    JAKE

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by LTTCMJAKE View Post
    I'm a design major and they've taught us how fast we need to get things out these days... hint: the reason why things are so poorly put together these days there's no time to make it a long lasting product (I hate saying that because I would rather make reliable products but that's how business runs these days)and I think Imagineering is in that problem to they don't get the time or resources they used to, to make mind blowing attractions like they used to...
    I'm with you on the time frame part. Disney did much better when their plans were not disclosed way in advance. Lesson learned maybe from FLE and the Wharf. Could be why Disney is pretty silent about Avatar, not likely but maybe.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast