Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss WDW neglected? in the Ask The Experts forums; See, now I disagree on the timeframe idea. Groundbreaking took place in a dense swampland during the summer of 1967 and the WHOLE park (minus a few areas and attractions) ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: WDW neglected?

See, now I disagree on the timeframe idea. Groundbreaking took place in a dense swampland during the summer of 1967 and the WHOLE park (minus a few areas and attractions) was open to the public in the fall of 1971. To go from nothing but trees and swamps to a complete amusement park in three and a half years, don't tell me that they need more than two years to build up an extention of Fantasyland. This project does NOT include the tearing down of trees, the filling of swamps, the creation of utilidors, the creation of a huge man-made body of water...
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

They built EPCOT Center in 2 years.

Though, I have no idea how the statement i made about keeping ahead of the future turned into this.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I suppose we could say the slow construction times are antiquating attractions before they ever open. Although even if they could update something like Future World yearly it still wouldn't be enough to keep it "futuristic". We are truly living in an age where "if we can dream it, we can do it".

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Yeh... Often even though we want to know everything... It might be better to keep things quiet...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I suppose we could say the slow construction times are antiquating attractions before they ever open. Although even if they could update something like Future World yearly it still wouldn't be enough to keep it "futuristic". We are truly living in an age where "if we can dream it, we can do it".

I disagree with the last line.

We are living in the age of "if we can dream, there's probably going to be an app for it tomorrow".

thats what makes FutureWorld almost impossible to keep up with the times with...unless they completely go bogus with things that probably might never happen, and then they might get somewhere... but then again, eventually technology will reach that point as well...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

I still say they go with a retro-futuristic theme. Kind of like Tomorrowland and The Contemporary used to be. That slick, sterile, "this is the future according to folks in the 50's and 60's" kind of thing. Throw in some timeless dark rides, a la Spaceship Earth, and there you have it.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    See, now I disagree on the timeframe idea. Groundbreaking took place in a dense swampland during the summer of 1967 and the WHOLE park (minus a few areas and attractions) was open to the public in the fall of 1971. To go from nothing but trees and swamps to a complete amusement park in three and a half years, don't tell me that they need more than two years to build up an extention of Fantasyland. This project does NOT include the tearing down of trees, the filling of swamps, the creation of utilidors, the creation of a huge man-made body of water...
    I do agree with what you said. My mind was not going in the direction of a whole theme park. I do agree that it is nutty that in 2009 already had concept art and blueprints leaked, so having to wait until 2014 to get all the construction walls down does seem movement in slow motion in comparison to the MK, Epcot and even MGM if you could call that a park during the grand opening. It is not an excuse for the long time frame for FLE however Disney didn't have to clear trees or swamps but that might have been easier than what they did have to remove and relocate back in that area all while being aware of the activity beneath the Fantasyland area. Again, not an excuse for the start/stop, re-imagineer, start again mode Disney seems to be stuck in lately that drags on any improvements. Even Test Track quickly fell behind its target date for September to the end of November. We'll have to see if they hit that November target date.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I disagree with the last line.

We are living in the age of "if we can dream, there's probably going to be an app for it tomorrow".
    The age of computer/tech related attractions are likely going to be obsolete in too short of a time frame yet if they stayed with an imagination and educational based theme there are so many directions researchers are going that we have yet to achieve from farming to transportation. Disney is stuck in their own little time warp, with an antiquated bus system, concrete sidewalks vs moving ones in airports that also have effective monorail systems that operate properly. It is kinda sad that some of the big news this year was bringing
    "WiFi" to the resorts and eventually the parks, and a mighty slow version at that. Talk about being behind the times where they use to be cutting edge. It will take a commitment from Disney in dollars and good imagineers to revamp Future World and Tomorrowland or indeed they will both fall into history as retro-lands.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-19-2012 at 02:19 PM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

LTTCMJAKE is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    The age of computer/tech related attractions are likely going to be obsolete in too short of a time frame yet if they stayed with an imagination and educational based theme there are so many directions researchers are going that we have yet to achieve from farming to transportation. Disney is stuck in their own little time warp, with an antiquated bus system, concrete sidewalks vs moving ones in airports that also have effective monorail systems that operate properly. It is kinda sad that some of the big news this year was bringing
    "WiFi" to the resorts and eventually the parks, and a mighty slow version at that. Talk about being behind the times where they use to be cutting edge. It will take a commitment from Disney in dollars and good imagineers to revamp Future World and Tomorrowland or indeed they will both fall into history as retro-lands.

Ya when every hotel I've stayed at in the last 4 years had free wifi if not wifi free landline internet. When I stayed at Disney last year I was shocked there was no internet and no 3g or 4g tower to power my phone's internet soooo even being on vacation i felt i couldn't get anything done like getting park hours, weather ect
    JAKE

Oddly enough, we used to get all of that information quite easily before the days of the internet. Let's see, theres radio, television, newspaper, concierge desk...

Quote Originally Posted by LTTCMJAKE View Post
    Ya when every hotel I've stayed at in the last 4 years had free wifi if not wifi free landline internet. When I stayed at Disney last year I was shocked there was no internet and no 3g or 4g tower to power my phone's internet soooo even being on vacation i felt i couldn't get anything done like getting park hours, weather ect
    Indeed it is frustrating that Disney can't seem sucessfully enter the 21st century.

My kid, working on Disney property data plan which was adequate both at college and while living at home but not at Disney. It really dings a data plan when WiFi isn't available especially when Disney is moving towards the need for guests to use their own tech.

I had to check on a business delivery that didn't come before I left for my April trip. It took so long to track a package on my rooms WiFi it made AOL dial up of yesteryear seem fast. Yet in any other hotel I've stayed in for years not a problem. Disney did not have the infrastructure issues that NOLA did and yet both hotels had WiFi that operated as expected. The TV's supported a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Oddly enough, we used to get all of that information quite easily before the days of the internet. Let's see, theres radio, television, newspaper, concierge desk...
    Ya, you are right. Simplier days back then. Our Digital connection for our TV in the Coronado kept loosing its digital signal and reloading, you couldn't depend on that anymore. They started replacing the radios with IHomes, hopefully someday WDW FL will be able to support the modern devices instead of just charging them. Back in the day, the analog TV's were more reliable than digital service on property today.

You have a good point, Disney does offer guests the option of going old school and make the pilgrimage to lobby and buying a paper or viewing the postings of park hours and daily temperature expectations. Another example I guess of how far Disney is lagging behind.

I would have never guessed that Disney would lag so far behind the rest of the real world that they are on pace with rural areas of America, getting high speed WiFi at about the same time. If they can't get current times correct there is little hope for Future World which explains the invasion of meet n greets and animation into Epcot along with Duffy.

There has been no reason Disney wasn't able to implement all of this stuff before now, so they obviously have their reasons. Whether or not they ever come forward with their rationale is a different story.
    Last edited by supernova; 08-02-2012 at 05:31 AM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

And I wonder how much of this has been due to guest backlash and how much of it is simply their coming to terms with their being so far behind the times.
    Last edited by supernova; 08-02-2012 at 05:32 AM.

that might be where it truly is at... they realize how far behind they have gotten and this is their way of catching up...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast