Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Surprise for Sister - What to do? in the Ask The Experts forums; Next month my Mom, sister, brother-in-law, neice and myself are going to be going to the world for a few days. My Mom was talking to my brother-in-law the other ...
    Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Surprise for Sister - What to do?

Next month my Mom, sister, brother-in-law, neice and myself are going to be going to the world for a few days. My Mom was talking to my brother-in-law the other day and he mentioned a plan he had in mind. When they got married last year, he didn't have enough money for a ring, and he wants to give her one while they are at Disney.

His idea was while we are all watching Wishes, to get down on one knee and give her the ring. He wants me to video tape it.

I didn't think about it much at first, but I got to thinking and I don't know how well his idea will work. He hasn't been to Disney in probably 10+ years and I'm not sure if he's really remembering how things are. First off, it will be dark, which may hamper video taping attemps, it will be nosiy because of the fireworks and her reaction to the ring may be totally lost on video, and thirdly, Main Street (where we would watch the fireworks) tends to be crowded, and I'm not sure he would actually have room to get down on one knee, let alone me be at an angle in the crowd where I could really get a good shot with the camera.

That being said, I don't quite feel its my place to tell my brother-in-law that I don't think his plan is very good and probably won't work that well. I was thinking other things that I could possibly suggest to him, but I'm not sure.

First off, do you think his plan will work, or should I urge him to do something else, or perhaps get Disney invovled?

We already have an ADR at Artist Point; my thought was to call the restaurant and see if there was anything they could do. Other than that, we will be spending one day in the Magic Kingdom, and one day at our resort, OKW. My only other thought was after our Artist Point dinner, to take the boat to MK and then to the Poly and see the fireworks from there, and he can do the ring thing on the beach there, where at least it will be less crowded; but with an ADR time of 7:15 pm, I don't know if time is going to allow that.

If you don't think my brother-in-laws plan will work, what would you suggest doing to surprise my sister with the ring?

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Surprise for Sister - What to do?

There are plenty of places deep in the park that would not be crowded, with sufficient lighting, while wishes is playing. Back where the Dumbo ride used to be is my favorite spot to watch wishes. Always plenty of room and the large burst seem twice as big. I am with you though on his choice of location. That area is always crowed with people trying to get the perfect view. He would be lost in the crowd if he dropped to one knee, and you could catch it on video while being bumped or ran over by a cranky stroller pushing Mama.

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Surprise for Sister - What to do?

As for the suggestion on how to surprise her, make the ring part of a hidden mickey.