Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Questions for D23 expo veterans in the Ask The Experts forums; It's almost a year away, but I'm making plans to attend the 2013 D23 Expo in Anaheim. I have some questions that hopefully some D23 vets can answer. What's an ...
    MrCottonsParrot is offline B-Ticket Holder

Question Questions for D23 expo veterans

It's almost a year away, but I'm making plans to attend the 2013 D23 Expo in Anaheim. I have some questions that hopefully some D23 vets can answer.

What's an ideal hotel choice, to access both the convention center and the parks? Are there any hotel(s) that should be avoided? I'll likely be there w/o a car (unless it's absolutely warranted), and I plan to get around on foot, or complimentary transportation if available. I've been looking at maps of the area, and it's hard for me to gauge distances, or how easy/difficult it may be to get from A to B.

The convention is three days. Is it something like 8AM to 5PM? Earlier or later? Are there any formal events at night?

I hope to pad a few extra days, either before of after the Expo, to spend a few days at DL and DCA. Any tips on ticket packages would be appreciated!
    Too many trips 'home' to list here
    DCL veteran of three trips
    DVC member since 2005
    Contributing writer for Celebrations magazine
    my blog - myhiddendisney.blogspot.com

xojmo is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Questions for D23 expo veterans

Hello!! I have been to both Expos. The first year we stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel (Disney owned) which was the most reasonable "onsite" resort. Very much in walking distance of California Adventure and/or Downtown Disney which can lead you to Disneyland. In walking distance to the Expo as well.

Last year we stayed at Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn. I really disliked it. I won't lie. But again, in walking distance of California Adventure and the Expo.

The Anaheim Tourism Bureau website or perhaps the Convention Center website has a hotel map...which is helpful because you can see what is close by. The Anabella Hotel is very close. We are either going to stay there in 2013 OR stay at the Marriott or Hilton which are right next to the Expo.

Considering people start to line up SUPER early, we think it best to be closer to the Convention Center this next time. We have learned out lesson.

If I remember correctly they did have discounted tickets for the parks if you entered after 4 or 5 pm. Otherwise you pay full price to go into each park (during the days before or after the Expo). It would be awesome if they would let you park hop back and forth between DL and DCA but nope.

Evening stuff at the Expo is: The auction. Movies. Ultimate Trivia Challenge finals. **** Van Dyke. To be honest though, after being up at the crack of dawn and running around all day (more on that in a bit), I never wanted to stay late. Once the last session is over, they close the floor. Which stinks!! Because would love more time to check out the collector's section (or buy stuff!!) or check out the pavilions or the Dream store. I hope they change that next year.

Ok, so...BE PREPARED to never eat (no time). To wait in endless lines. To RUN from one place to another inside of the convention center. To choose between two sessions you really want to do (maybe even more). Accept the fact that you're going to miss something you were dying to do because something came up. Pack snacks!! Make sure you get in line early. There are so many D23 members now. They get to go in first. But again, that line is super long. Last year, the Marvel geeks (sorry guys) just bought a one day admission to see the Disney Films presentation to see scenes from the new Avengers movie...and they didnt even get in to that session.

Are you a charter year member? We have our own lounge, but again...I never had any time to really be in there. One time I ran in, grabbed a cookie, charged my phone for five minutes, and bolted. No time to eat.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.
    Jen

Jen - thanks for the very detailed response! I'll hopefully make my D23 Expo decision early in the new year. Yep, I'm a charter member so at least I can look forward to the lounge. I'm DVC, so I'd like to stay at GC after the convention, but I suspect many others also have that in mind and it may already be fully booked. For the convention timeframe, I'd probably go with either the Marriott or Hilton, which as you pointed out are right next door to the convention center.
    DVC member since 2005

I'm going! I bought Expo tickets for me and my son. Another question, if you don't mind ... do the area hotels offer a D23 discount? If so, when might that be announced? I'm starting to put together a tentative itinerary and I'm looking at airfare, hotels, etc.
    DVC member since 2005

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

The big D23 expo news,there will be *not* be a Disney Parks & Resorts presentation in the Arena this year.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Interesting Chess move, Joe Rohde will be talking about Aulania at D23 Expo, not Avatar at Animal Kingdom.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

raniadoll is offline A-Ticket holder

I was wondering if there is any way to get the great Japanese candies and chips and drinks anywhere else besides Mitsukoshi at Epcot? Or does Mitsukoshi do any kind of online ordering?
    Want to trade shares then trade at usa stock market and get info about usa airlines or do work and travel usa and immigration to canada from usa, usa citizenship, usa immigration then you must read whatisusa dot info

While it isn't an announcement it does appear that D23 Expo will have some information about future attractions in the works:

"We’re also going to be doing sneak peeks at upcoming projects – including Disney Springs, the reimagining of Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort. There will be teasers for new attractions based on Avatar and Star Wars that we’re working on now for the Disney Parks."

~Disney Insider~