Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Spikes in the Ask The Experts forums; Okay, I've been puzzling over these things for ages and I just can't figure them out. What is the purpose of the spikes that you see on various structures around ...
    vowell1055 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Spikes

Okay, I've been puzzling over these things for ages and I just can't figure them out. What is the purpose of the spikes that you see on various structures around WDW? They're on Big Thunder on top of the rock formations, at the All-Stars on top of the stars at the bus stops, and all over, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out their purpose. Anyone got a line on these things?

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Re: Spikes

Lightning rods? Maybe something to deter birds from landing on them and leaving waste all over? I've never paid attention to them but that would be my best guesses.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Lightning rods?
    That's what I've always assumed. We are constantly being reminded that we're in the "lightning capital" of the world (or at least the US - point being, we get a lot of lightning!)

I thought about the lightning rod thing, but I don't think they would have made such a big deal out of Mickey's ear being a lightning rod at the Crossroads of the World if there were lightning rods all over the place. Plus, some of these are pretty close to where a lot of people could or potentially standing. I wouldn't think that you'd want to attract lightning to those spots. I dunno though. I'm willing to admit that I don't have a lot of knowledge about optimum lightning rod placement.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    That's what I've always assumed. We are constantly being reminded that we're in the "lightning capital" of the world (or at least the US - point being, we get a lot of lightning!)
    Sure is!

I was on a bus transferring from one park to another when a bolt of lighting hit into one of those mini pine forests ahead. It was beyond loud. As we caught unto the lightening strike there was a big fire in the forest already.
    Bus Driver on radio reporting fire.

I tend to believe there are lightening rods everywhere throughout the parks and resorts.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

You'll find lightening rods on the tops of all the structures, at least those higher than the surrounding trees, usually every so many feet. They are connected to wires (presumably large gauge) to a grounded point.

If you didn't have them, the lightening would strike any available conductive high point nearby - the building frame, trees, etc...and cause damage.

Instead, the lightening is attracted to the rod, because it is higher and more conductive from tip to ground than other available paths (path of least resistance), and is directed more or less safely to the ground.

I still wouldn't want to be near one when it gets struck...

[late to the party since the email notifications are broken and been too busy to check threads]
    Last edited by doconeill; 11-29-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

What Doc said. Having grown up in Florida I actually kind of laughed when I read the question. Though not in a mean way. Just that it's common knowledge to folks who live in the second most lightning struck place in the world.

And no, you certainly don't want to be near one when it's struck. Might not be able to hear very well for a while.

BTW, you'll also find them lining things like sports stadiums.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 11-29-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Well, there you have it. Mystery solved. Thanks guys!