Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss When was I in Epcot? Is it possible I was there before it opened? in the Ask The Experts forums; I'm taking my family to Epcot in two weeks. It's their first trip, and my first trip as an adult. I'm trying to figure out when I was there last. ...
    ncboys is offline A-Ticket holder

When was I in Epcot? Is it possible I was there before it opened?

I'm taking my family to Epcot in two weeks. It's their first trip, and my first trip as an adult. I'm trying to figure out when I was there last. I remember I was in 5th grade. My elementary school took about 20 of us as a reward for getting all A's. They also took another group of kids to the Worlds Fair about the same time(maybe a few months apart). From what I have looked up, the World's Fair took place from May 1 - Oct 31, 1982. I seem to remember our trip to Disney and the worlds fair trip being a few months apart. I also seem to remember this happening near the end of the school year(which leads me to believe it was in the Spring of 1982 which doesn't make sense because Epcot didnt open until Oct 1, 1982). I could be incorrect on the time of year however since it's always sunny in Florida.... could have just felt like spring.

Now here's the part that really confuses me. I have pictures of Epcot with World Showcase unfinished. In the photos, all of world showcase is under construction.... lots of piles of dirt and only one building under construction... also, little to no water in the lake. I do however remember going on the ride with the purple dinosaur, and maybe a few others, so this tells me that the park was open. So..... my question is this.... was World Showcase completed at the grand opening of Epcot, or did I somehow get to go to Epcot BEFORE the grand opening?

Thanks for your help. This has been on mu mind for months, and I cant seem to figure it out.

FOLLOW UP 1/2/2013

After speaking to a cast member who has actually worked there since the opening(and is still there when I went last week... WOW!), he seems to think that I was there in the Spring of 1983, 6 months after it opened. The construction that I remember seeing was most likely Morocco, as it was still under construction at the time. Thanks for all the help and insight. The photo is in one of my mom's photo albums. Next time i'm at home, i'll scan it and post it in case anyone wants to see it. Thanks again!!!!
    Last edited by ncboys; 01-02-2013 at 09:05 AM.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: When was I in Epcot? Is it possible I was there before it opened?

Welcome.

I'm a bit fuzzy on my memories back then too. But I know one thing, I'd love to see those photo's of Epcot. If you can scan them and post them here maybe someone could help too.

I have a book that might be in a Library around you that is called "Walt Disney's Epcot Center" by ABRAMS.

There are so many pictures of Epcot under construction that you might be able to narrow it down. The book was published the year Epcot opened, it is an over sized coffee table book.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.