Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Annual Pass question in the Ask The Experts forums; Originally Posted by doconeill They are already making changes - they've removed a number of the turnstiles and put in RFID readers. Those with the RFID cards (and soon the ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Annual Pass question

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    They are already making changes - they've removed a number of the turnstiles and put in RFID readers. Those with the RFID cards (and soon the MagicBands) are able to walk up, scan, finger and in. I've heard it's made things about 25% faster already.

As for the future of purchased tickets, I'm not sure what they'll do. If you buy from Disney, I suppose you could get RFID-enabled tickets mailed to you - or they may get rid of the sending option and you have to pick them up no matter what.

Not sure what third party sellers will do. Undercover Tourist gets the Tyvek tickets and mails those to you.

They already had mega problems in less than a week with the original touch to pay under $50 and had to quickly implement changes to that with pinning $50 or less. Surprised they didn't think that through.

Anytime so much data is contained in one area like a wristband it just seems ripe for fraud and hackers. Considering what hackers can do worldwide I will hold out judgement until this whole thing rolls out.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Yes, the touch to pay problem was a big one. There was also some seriously messed up procedures the CMs had to go through to make sure that the next purchase didn't end up on the previous guest's charge. Really stupid stuff.

At the entrance, the finger scan takes the place of a PIN. It ensures that the person using the ticket is the original person (with a 0.01% duplication factor). This prevents "ticket sharing" - something that has apparently gone on for a while in DL and they are just now starting to crack down on it there.

A PIN wouldn't work because it is easily shared with the ticket media. And can you imagine trying to get young kids to remember their PINs?
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

iwannabindisney is offline A-Ticket holder

thanks for all the responses! I guess it was because i received my annual pass at Saratoga Springs back then. However now I'm totally confused with the annual pass process. What is the difference between the magic bands and an RFD card?? Please someone educate me lol

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabindisney View Post
    thanks for all the responses! I guess it was because i received my annual pass at Saratoga Springs back then. However now I'm totally confused with the annual pass process. What is the difference between the magic bands and an RFD card?? Please someone educate me lol
    Right now, the difference is that RFID cards exist, but MagicBands do not. I have yet to see one reliable report that Disney even has the MagicBands on hand yet.

When they have them, they will for the most part be interchangeable, with the RFID cards capable of doing almost everything, unless Disney decides to limit them more. The one thing that it appears the RFID cards won't be able to do is to trigger certain targeted experiences on rides which is done via a battery-powered transmitter in the MagicBand. Nothing specific has been announced as to what those may be, but and example could be something like a custom message on a screen during an attraction, etc. They have also alluded to that feature being used to inform the characters at meet&greets of the guest's name before being approached, so they'd be able to call them by name.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more

iwannabindisney is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Right now, the difference is that RFID cards exist, but MagicBands do not. I have yet to see one reliable report that Disney even has the MagicBands on hand yet.

When they have them, they will for the most part be interchangeable, with the RFID cards capable of doing almost everything, unless Disney decides to limit them more. The one thing that it appears the RFID cards won't be able to do is to trigger certain targeted experiences on rides which is done via a battery-powered transmitter in the MagicBand. Nothing specific has been announced as to what those may be, but and example could be something like a custom message on a screen during an attraction, etc. They have also alluded to that feature being used to inform the characters at meet&greets of the guest's name before being approached, so they'd be able to call them by name.

OOOOOH ok now i gotchya... thanks for the explanation it was driving me crazy. SO basically all the photos I've seen online are promotional for the magic bands in the future??

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabindisney View Post
    OOOOOH ok now i gotchya... thanks for the explanation it was driving me crazy. SO basically all the photos I've seen online are promotional for the magic bands in the future??
    Some of the images were VERY early designs. Some of the more recent ones might be the final design.

They were SUPPOSED to have them by now...
    Doc

Some of the ones I've seen today floating around.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Weird...it looks like something in a display window, to emphasize each person can get a different color (hence the names in front of each)...I wonder where that was?
    Doc

Those bands were on display today in the Odyssey for the Annual Pass exchange for RFID cards. It was said this is how they would be displayed for Guests at Resorts.

AP holders have 4 cards to choose from, Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy.

And it was being said to AP holders that they would be among the first to receive Magic Bands when they officially launch.

Thanks...of course this week AP holders will be first..next week they'll be last, then the next week the won't know..
    HauntedGabe likes this.

I'm curious as to how FP+ will work for the locals. Even if they are allowed to reserve FPs 60-90 days out like resort guests (or whatever amount of time they ultimately land on) how often does a local plot out their trips to visit that far in advance?

Even if they are meeting up with friends from out of town, will their FP+ times match? So many questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12