Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Free wifi at WDW in the Ask The Experts forums; They've had a secured network for years. It can operate on the same channel (but it would compete for signal) or a different one. It likely operates on a different ...
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Free wifi at WDW

They've had a secured network for years. It can operate on the same channel (but it would compete for signal) or a different one. It likely operates on a different one, but that doesn't mean it is free from interference. There are different ways of covering a wider area, and some involve placing different access points with different channels for the same SSID (i.e. the "DisneyParks" public network vs. the private network). And you've only got so many channels.

But I think the problem with the MDE/FP+ integration isn't so much the private network data (which is more likely over wired networks), but with even MORE increased guest usage in using the app to track and change FP+, which will generally increase awareness of the app itself for its other features, etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    I am thinking that the MDE/FP+ will have a dedicated wifi channel for itself. like along the lines of businesses have a closed on fro their use and one for their guests
    Yep! Staff works fine.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    They've had a secured network for years. It can operate on the same channel (but it would compete for signal) or a different one. It likely operates on a different one, but that doesn't mean it is free from interference. There are different ways of covering a wider area, and some involve placing different access points with different channels for the same SSID (i.e. the "DisneyParks" public network vs. the private network). And you've only got so many channels.

But I think the problem with the MDE/FP+ integration isn't so much the private network data (which is more likely over wired networks), but with even MORE increased guest usage in using the app to track and change FP+, which will generally increase awareness of the app itself for its other features, etc.
    This last part was kind of what I was getting at before. Even on lighter crowd days this system is going to be darn near running on overload.

That said, if anyone can pull this off, Disney would be it.

This has, and will continue to be interesting to watch. They're writing a whole new rule book here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12