Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Free wifi at WDW in the Ask The Experts forums; I'll be going down to the world in May and was wondering how the free wifi service in the hotels and parks is? I'll be staying at Pop Century. I'd ...
    tokenfanboy is offline A-Ticket holder

Free wifi at WDW

I'll be going down to the world in May and was wondering how the free wifi service in the hotels and parks is? I'll be staying at Pop Century. I'd mainly want to use it for simple things like checking email, and Touring Plans, rather than high bandwidth things like streaming video. Will it suit my needs, or will it be really frustrating to try and use?

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Free wifi at WDW

I didn't have too much trouble. The WiFi in the hotel has never let me down. I did keep dropping the signal in the parks, though. And even then, I think I only tested it out at the Magic Kingdom, not the other three.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I found the WiFi at the Coronado to be pretty darn slow, long to log on but it beat nothing. Equivalent to my original dial-up Aol speed.

The last two weeks the connectivity in the parks really was sucidoodles especially the MK and once connected it kept dropping. Even the 3-4 G connections were slow this week, likely with so many guests trying to use all the apps and not being able to utilize WiFi the 3-4G capabilities were taxed too.

May might be better than this high season time.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Too many apps are really ruining vacations. What ever happened to just showing up somewhere and enjoying your time? I can visit pretty much anywhere else on the planet and vacation app-free. So why do WDW guests feel the need to fill their phones with tons of them? Just go and enjoy.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I found the WiFi at the Coronado to be pretty darn slow, long to log on but it beat nothing. Equivalent to my original dial-up Aol speed.

The last two weeks the connectivity in the parks really was sucidoodles especially the MK and once connected it kept dropping. Even the 3-4 G connections were slow this week, likely with so many guests trying to use all the apps and not being able to utilize WiFi the 3-4G capabilities were taxed too.

May might be better than this high season time.
    Why didn't you mention that you were going to WDW this week?

My experience with Wi-Fi both in the resorts and the parks (don't recall using it in Epcot, but did in the other three), was nothing but positive. With the exception of one part of the extended queue at ToT where I couldn't connect.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

The only good thing that really comes from this is that its saving your cell phone battery life and that might come in handy if your there all day and night
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Wi-fi can save on battery life - if it can stay connected. However, if you have it enabled but it is constantly having trouble staying connected, you can practically watch the battery drain.

Was just down there this weekend, in the Boardwalk Villas. Worked pretty flawlessly in the room, and most places around the resort and down on the Boardwalk (I could still connect to "In-Room" down there without a problem.

Went over to DHS on Friday. In-Park worked fine, at least for a while. I eventually had issues with it though. And then continued to have issues trying to get an address most of the time the rest of the weekend. Eventually turned it off to make sure I had battery left before I got back to the room.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Wi-fi can save on battery life - if it can stay connected. However, if you have it enabled but it is constantly having trouble staying connected, you can practically watch the battery drain.

Was just down there this weekend, in the Boardwalk Villas. Worked pretty flawlessly in the room, and most places around the resort and down on the Boardwalk (I could still connect to "In-Room" down there without a problem.

Went over to DHS on Friday. In-Park worked fine, at least for a while. I eventually had issues with it though. And then continued to have issues trying to get an address most of the time the rest of the weekend. Eventually turned it off to make sure I had battery left before I got back to the room.
    That is pretty much what happened on the 24 hour day while not the busiest day it was darn crowded. There are charging stations now, not nearly enough for later in the day so guests were finding there own. CMs were instructed to redirect those guests to authorized areas.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Hopefully it works better in a couple of weeks then lol but I have one of the juice packs that charges the phone in case it gets low bc last year when I was at MK for 15 hrs and had nothing it got alittle hectic trying to keep in touch
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Visits:

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Your best bet is to turn off Wi-Fi unless you're actually using it. I do that sometimes when I'm out and the battery is getting a little low.

really i was thinking the opposite but you been there since so ill trust ya
    Visits:

malt is offline Fastpass Holder

Wifi will drain the battery as it is constantly searching for hotspots as you move around.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by malt View Post
    Wifi will drain the battery as it is constantly searching for hotspots as you move around.
    Yup...it's similar to how a phone will drain faster when it is in a marginal cell signal or dead area. It goes into a higher power mode seeking a connection.

If you have a good wi-fi signal, it can save battery compared to using mobile data, and its usually faster. But if it is marginal, as it seemed to be at WDW, the battery goes faster.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

The signal seemed fairly stout when we were there, but park capacities were a little lower than normal so that may have played into it. I never had any battery issues the entire stay.

Sounds more and more like this system will be a constant struggle for them. Especially with all the in-park (MDE/FP+) integration that will be involved.

tiggerguy is online now one of the good guys

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    The signal seemed fairly stout when we were there, but park capacities were a little lower than normal so that may have played into it. I never had any battery issues the entire stay.

Sounds more and more like this system will be a constant struggle for them. Especially with all the in-park (MDE/FP+) integration that will be involved.
    I am thinking that the MDE/FP+ will have a dedicated wifi channel for itself. like along the lines of businesses have a closed on fro their use and one for their guests
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast