Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Using The Buses in the Ask The Experts forums; Hello all! I have a quick question that I just cannot find an answer to. My wife and I are planning a quick trip to WDW with some friends next ...
    N.Peagler is offline A-Ticket holder

Using The Buses

Hello all! I have a quick question that I just cannot find an answer to.

My wife and I are planning a quick trip to WDW with some friends next month for Star Wars Weekends. We will be staying off site (Blasphemy!) to save a few bucks and we will also be arriving 1 day before the rest of our party. We have decided to use that one day to tour some of the beautiful resorts, and thus save one day on our theme park tickets.
    So my question is, (without having theme park tickets yet or being Disney resort guests) would we be able to legally use the Disney transportation system?
    I know the monorail is open to all but do you get "carded" before boarding a bus or boat? It has been a few years since our last trip and I honestly cannot remember.
    Please understand that I am not trying to be a free-loader. They will be getting plenty of my cash with all the Star Wars souvenirs around! I just honestly don't want to drive from resort to resort, especially after our 20 hour drive to Orlando.
    Thanks for the help!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Using The Buses

No carding. Too many people passing through for them to try to check everyone. Rent a car, park it somewhere, and enjoy the ride. Literally.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

What supe said.

The best option is to use the Downtown Disney area, as you can catch a bus to any resort.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My DS sent me a photo last night of a Disney Bus on a flatbed tow truck rolling down the street with the caption of 'this is why you take the Ferry' beneath.

While this isn't the photo he sent it does show you how well prepared Disney is to fetch a broken down bus.

Wonder what Disney will do when one of those double length bendy buses break down?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Do they have articulated buses?

They were testing them last spring. They are on order now and a third bus loop is being created to accommodate the bendy buses at the Magic Kingdom and also move the park transfer buses out of the TTC and into the MK bus loops.

Test buses

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

It's really about time, IMO. Especially for park closings. It never made sense to bring in contractors when they could have been using articulated buses the entire time.

Either way, my son will be thrilled.

He's a bus fanatic.

Don't ask...

N.Peagler is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Also, I assume they would have a way of disconnecting the front and back halves of the articulated buses, then just load them on two flatbeds.

Quote Originally Posted by N.Peagler View Post
    Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Also, I assume they would have a way of disconnecting the front and back halves of the articulated buses, then just load them on two flatbeds.
    Well maybe that is how they would do that. Our buses here have 4 axels, those only have three so I'm clueless, I have a friend that works for Chicago's CTA in that division so I'm going to have to ask. Just curious.

I'm pretty sure they simply tow them from the front.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

To the OP - keep in mind, there are no resort-to-resort buses (aside from some buses "shared" between resorts on slower runs at slower times). So if you resort hopping, for the "grouped" resorts like the monorail resorts or the Epcot/Crescent Lake resorts, you would need to take a bus to one of them, then go around on foot/monorail/boat. For anything else, you'll need to hop via a park or DTD.

On the artics - we have some in Boston that are three-axle, and I haven't seen it but I've heard they just tow it as normal - I guess they just have to be very careful around corners
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Yep. I've never seen one towed either, but that was always my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    On the artics - we have some in Boston that are three-axle, and I haven't seen it but I've heard they just tow it as normal - I guess they just have to be very careful around corners
    I had never even given it a thought until my DS sent me the picture of the standard bus on a flatbed. Never had an understanding 'cause I had never crossed my mind.

The New Bus Loop at the MK for the bendy buses, will also replace transfer buses at the TTC along with taking some guest pressure off the ferry and monorail, is taking shape.

kober

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

They are coming along nicely.

I was also noticing that the stops at SSR seem like they could accommodate a 60 foot bus...I wonder if they may have been planning ahead. But I've heard nothing yet about artic buses other than POP and AoA.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast