Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss New Fast Pass in the Ask The Experts forums; My wife and I are going to the animal Kingdom Lodge in July and were wondering if the new fast pass system was up and working yet? Does anybody know? ...
    Bmarzock is offline A-Ticket holder

New Fast Pass

My wife and I are going to the animal Kingdom Lodge in July and were wondering if the new fast pass system was up and working yet? Does anybody know? We would love to try it.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: New Fast Pass

It's not up and running for guests yet. Some limited testing, although that appears to be limited to cast members and their families right now. Lots of issues still to work out.

All Disney has said is "sometime this year". And that might be at the soonest.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Year Of A Miilion Tests!!!

You know, in all seriousness, Disney should have played this angle up more. Something along the lines of "join us in pioneering the future". They could have made this a more guest friendly and interactive experience, I think.

Bmarzock is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for the replies agree. They should play it up more to try out

i-neighborhood Guest

It may be offered to guests staying on site, but keep an eye on Disney's website as they should indicated if its available in the MyDisneyExperience section. They may also indicate its availability to the public on their blog site .
    As of this post, you can ONLY VIEW FASTPASS times, but as you know that will change to RESERVING FASTPASS times.
    Last edited by i-neighborhood; 05-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Bleh...

I wish it would all go away and let those of us who don't want our vacation micromanaged down to the minute relax and enjoy ourselves.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I can't imagine booking my trip down to what ride I want to be on at what time, six months ahead of time. Maybe a meal here and there. Maybe. During my trips, I book exactly one ADR. I can't plan things out that much. I get there, I go on what I want to, eat when and where I want. This overplanning is getting ridiculous now.
    i-neighborhood likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

i-neighborhood Guest

Welcome to the new Wonderful World of Disney. I agree. I mean having the ability while your at the park to reserve a FASTPASS without having to go to the attraction and then wait sometimes 2 hours before it allows another reservation would be great but this is in my humble opinion absurd. Not to mention that they've changed policy for FASTPASS return and you must return within that time frame, which isn't always feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I can't imagine booking my trip down to what ride I want to be on at what time, six months ahead of time. Maybe a meal here and there. Maybe. During my trips, I book exactly one ADR. I can't plan things out that much. I get there, I go on what I want to, eat when and where I want. This overplanning is getting ridiculous now.
    supernova likes this.

From your lips to Iger's ears...

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

For return visitors who know their way around the parks, maybe it'll work out a bit better. Me, I go every year, and I will never EVER be using this. I don't even bother watching the parades or the fireworks at this point, because I've seen them already and they are the same thing over and over again. So I won't be doing any long distance peeing six months in advance to mark my territory for a spot to view the parade. Not happening.

But back to my original point, how would a first timer fully understand where and when they would need to be at a park at any given time in order to be sure to book everything in a workable order. I've travelled internationally and toured various cities across any given country with less planning to do. At the end of the day, we're talking about visiting an amusement park, for crying out loud.
    i-neighborhood likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

i-neighborhood Guest

Lol long distance peeing six months in advance
    Thats about what its coming too. I don't know if they intend for their APP to address timing and logistics in a workable order, but it does seem to be redic, not to mention the fact there close to the point where they can literally track every guest on property and a bunch of other statistics at a glance.

As you said, for crying out loud, I hope Disney treads cautiously with RFID use and monitoring or it could backlash. Not to mention they're potentially creating a breeding ground for electronic theft since they are not providing protector cases for the wrist bands or cards which any one that is familiar with RFID, including savvy criminals, can hijack your information including credit card data with a reader, just by walking by you.

For return visitors who know their way around the parks, maybe it'll work out a bit better. Me, I go every year, and I will never EVER be using this. I don't even bother watching the parades or the fireworks at this point, because I've seen them already and they are the same thing over and over again. So I won't be doing any long distance peeing six months in advance to mark my territory for a spot to view the parade. Not happening.

But back to my original point, how would a first timer fully understand where and when they would need to be at a park at any given time in order to be sure to book everything in a workable order. I've travelled internationally and toured various cities across any given country with less planning to do. At the end of the day, we're talking about visiting an amusement park, for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by i-neighborhood View Post
    Not to mention they're potentially creating a breeding ground for electronic theft since they are not providing protector cases for the wrist bands or cards which any one that is familiar with RFID, including savvy criminals, can hijack your information including credit card data with a reader, just by walking by you.
    No they can't.

There is NO personal information contained on a MagicBand or Disney RFID card. THey are not programmable devices. The contain read-only chips which only emit an ID string when triggered (potentially more than one - I haven't seen one yet, but I'm 80% certain that the active transmitter in the MagicBands has a different code than the passive chips for security reasons, and the two passive chips may also be different - skip the active transmitter part for now).

Yes, they can skim that ID string with a device that has a receiver at the right frequency and gets close enough to get the band/card in the magnetic field to induce the power to the passive chip and receive the signal. And to add to it, there are two passive chips operating at different frequencies, so they may need a receiver that operates at both.

But all they get is that ID code(s). It is meaningless by itself. They'd also need access to Disney's Database of Everything to turn that into any usable information.

Worst case, they get the ID, and make a "duplicate". The duplicate would have to look and smell right to not be noticeable that it isn't legit to a CM when used. And they could potentially:

- Use your Fastpass+, if they knew when it was
    - Use your ticket entitlement
    - Go to a Fastpass+ station and mess with your FP+ entries (remains to be seen what information these will present, and early indications are these will be CM-manned)

Because they are requiring a PIN code for all purchases (I have not heard if this has changed again), they can't make any purchases on your account.

Now, I put off the active transmitter, as that is inherently less secure - they constantly send out a signal wit their code. Which is why I'm 80% certain it's a different code. And that code is not used for purchases or anything like that - only to trigger certain "experiences" at a distance. And the receiver still needs access to the database to get any information (which for that is likely limited to name).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more

i-neighborhood Guest

I think your right in certain aspects, but I have to agree to disagree regarding what information is stored and how or what is ultimately accessible. I'm sure they're taking security precautions, but as we have learned from the debit card we were told would be revolutionary has seen more than its share of theft even with a pin.

Again, I'm sure Disney has taken precautions but time will be the ultimate teller on how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    No they can't.

There is NO personal information contained on a MagicBand or Disney RFID card. THey are not programmable devices. The contain read-only chips which only emit an ID string when triggered (potentially more than one - I haven't seen one yet, but I'm 80% certain that the active transmitter in the MagicBands has a different code than the passive chips for security reasons, and the two passive chips may also be different - skip the active transmitter part for now).

Yes, they can skim that ID string with a device that has a receiver at the right frequency and gets close enough to get the band/card in the magnetic field to induce the power to the passive chip and receive the signal. And to add to it, there are two passive chips operating at different frequencies, so they may need a receiver that operates at both.

But all they get is that ID code(s). It is meaningless by itself. They'd also need access to Disney's Database of Everything to turn that into any usable information.

Worst case, they get the ID, and make a "duplicate". The duplicate would have to look and smell right to not be noticeable that it isn't legit to a CM when used. And they could potentially:

- Use your Fastpass+, if they knew when it was
    - Use your ticket entitlement
    - Go to a Fastpass+ station and mess with your FP+ entries (remains to be seen what information these will present, and early indications are these will be CM-manned)

Because they are requiring a PIN code for all purchases (I have not heard if this has changed again), they can't make any purchases on your account.

Now, I put off the active transmitter, as that is inherently less secure - they constantly send out a signal wit their code. Which is why I'm 80% certain it's a different code. And that code is not used for purchases or anything like that - only to trigger certain "experiences" at a distance. And the receiver still needs access to the database to get any information (which for that is likely limited to name).

Quote Originally Posted by i-neighborhood View Post
    I think your right in certain aspects, but I have to agree to disagree regarding what information is stored and how or what is ultimately accessible. I'm sure they're taking security precautions, but as we have learned from the debit card we were told would be revolutionary has seen more than its share of theft even with a pin.

Again, I'm sure Disney has taken precautions but time will be the ultimate teller on how this plays out.
    RFID Debit and Credit cards are a completely different beast - because their chips actually send the credit card number. All that is generally needed to make a purchase is the credit card number. It's up to the vendor to require a signature over a certain amount, the CVV code, etc. Plus plenty of other issues that have always existed with credit and debit card security.

THOSE issues aren't eliminated entirely by Disney's implementation. However, it could be said that Disney's implementation could in fact be MORE secure than handing over your credit card to a random CM to make a purchase, who could record the required info and use it later.

MagicBands contain no personal information. Period.
    Doc

i-neighborhood Guest

It may be more secure in part you're right, but not full proof, nothing is.

But I have to again agree to disagree with you regarding the MagicBands and personal information.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    RFID Debit and Credit cards are a completely different beast - because their chips actually send the credit card number. All that is generally needed to make a purchase is the credit card number. It's up to the vendor to require a signature over a certain amount, the CVV code, etc. Plus plenty of other issues that have always existed with credit and debit card security.

THOSE issues aren't eliminated entirely by Disney's implementation. However, it could be said that Disney's implementation could in fact be MORE secure than handing over your credit card to a random CM to make a purchase.

MagicBands contain no personal information. Period.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast