Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Toddler in Disney in the Ask The Experts forums; My wife and I are looking for tips we are taking our 18 month old to Disney World in July. Any good advice before we go? Also is there any ...
    Bmarzock is offline A-Ticket holder

Toddler in Disney

My wife and I are looking for tips we are taking our 18 month old to Disney World in July. Any good advice before we go? Also is there any place to order or get diapers and food delivered so we do not have to bring them on the plane? I'm sure Disney has some of those items but they may be a bit pricey. Thanks

manutdserg is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Toddler in Disney

Depends on where you are staying. Can you provide a few more details? We took our 18 month old last year, and she had a blast. We just needed to give her time to run around at certain points and make sure she napped in her stroller if we weren't back at the hotel.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

While grown now our kids first trips were at 14 months and 2 months. We really didn't head back to the resorts for nap time. We did however quickly find attractions with motion that put our little ones to sleep especially with a bottle. Haunted Mansion was perfect, dark and continous motion, people mover, great movie ride, land, spaceship earth. Hard pressed to think of a cool relaxing area in Animal Kingdom so I'd hit that park early in day prior to need for a nap.

We always brought an umbrella stroller till they hit age five. Garden Grocer and Goodings deliver to whatever you want to bell services at your resort, can be ordered way in advance of your trip. Bell Services will even keep perishable items cold.

We too always found a place for the kids to run around where they would not disturb guests to blow off steam. Everyone knows their own kid and can read them. The hub at MK is great when there isn't a parade, near space mountain there is a seating area, also between indy and tea cups, the area past the entrance of big thunder, tom sawyer island during the day.

Epcot has many areas in future world that are dead end dead spaces or unused seating areas great for running around in empty areas. Heck from the turnstiles to Space ship earth is open land, great for silly fun. Great Britian in the back has lots of open land to run around. There is a sprinkler area between the world showcase and and Future World, pack suit or more clothes. Norway to one side does also. Animal Kingdom is vast and plenty of run areas, the studios have a great playground that adults can be with their kids, running area near the animation building also the lower area of Echo Lake (pond).

Blizzard Beach has a wonderful mini waterpark area complete with tube rides, their main pool is pretty quiet and waves are gentle, they also have a family raft. Take an umbrella stroller to Downtown Disney, it is exhausting for weeones. They also have a sprinkler area there, so pack another set of clothes.

All the resorts have playgrounds, some better than others. Most resorts have zero depth areas now, so I'd look into that when choosing a resort, they all have coast guard life jackets, we always brought our own, they must be coast guard approved to use in pools or water parks. Target has a good selection this year, look for the seal by back of neck of jacket because guards will check and they are great for the quiet pools. A hat with a good brim should be brought or bought down there, sun is nasty on their faces.

We played all sorts of games in line and in sit down restaurants. We packed all sorts of one serving snacks and froze juice boxes in room to take with us. In a pinch just about all stores in the parks sell a single diaper pack. The baby center sold single jars of baby food in case you stay longer than planned. I always slipped their favorite toys of the moment in diaper bag, from action figures to coloring books/sticker books. We built houses with stick pretzels in restaurants and in a pinch when it was taking too long I ripped open a sugar packet on a plate and let them go to town, practiced our colors with fruit snacks in line, found blue items in line, counted people with hats, people with glasses, ponytails, you name it, we scanned the queue lines.

Now I am a germaphobe. I had an abundance of hand wipes. A park map is an excellent placemat in a quick service or snack venue. I bought disposable bibs and kids plastic sliverware, Disney doesn't do child silverware.
    The one thing we did do with our kids was generally carry them through the queues, because of my germaphobe issues, lol. all those railings that everyone drags their hand over and kids with their hand in mouth, ewe.

We never had any problems filling our days at Disney, plenty of attractions for entire family, you just have to tour the parks at a kids level, we didn't miss our thrill rides, it was just exciting to visit Disney with a child, they are in awe of everything. We went at least once a year with our kids, often twice a year. Wouldn't trade a moment.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

We are staying at the animal Kingdom Lodge from June 30 to July 6. We are also flying down if you have any tips. We are trying to not pay for a seat which will be interesting We also have the meal plan and have all of our meals set up at character dining experiences throughout the week. Thanks again for the help and tips if you have anymore.

Well thank you all for your great ideas and your great replies. So many good tips of things to do and places to stay here guys are definitely a pro with this. Thank you again and anymore tips would be greatly appreciated

manutdserg is offline A-Ticket holder

We bring lots of things to do on the plane. Coloring books, little toys, and food. we always get on in the middle of boarding, so we don't have to sit too long waiting for the plane to fill up and allow the kids to get bored too quickly. Our flight is about 2.5 hours long, so it can be filled up with little activities.