Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss which is cheaper to buy tickets at? in the Ask The Experts forums; at the park gate, at the disney store in my area or on the disney world site? or will they all be the same price basically?...
  1. #1
    kittywade823 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    42

    which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    at the park gate, at the disney store in my area or on the disney world site? or will they all be the same price basically?

  2. #2
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    I've never seen any price variance in tickets.

  3. #3
    Gatorhead's Avatar
    Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    158

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Undercover Tourist has cheaper tickets than at the Disney Store or at the gate. They are like the only authorized Disney ticket reseller that I know of and we've used them quit often. They buy large quantities of Disney passes, which I'm sure Disney gives them a break on, and then they resell them at a discount to you. Needless to say the savings isn't that significant but every little bit helps.

    We've ordered the tickets and then received them within a couple of days. Service is really fast and the tickets arrive in pristine condition and brand new attached to a sheet of paper that easily peels off. I highly recommend them if looking to save a few buck on passes and if you wish to buy in advance.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

  4. #4
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by kittywade823 View Post
    at the park gate, at the disney store in my area or on the disney world site? or will they all be the same price basically?
    The only times I know our tickets were slightly cheaper is when we went through our travel agent. The bundles always came out less than the current discounted room and admission.

    They also offer some perks and coupons that you normally do not get when booking directly with Disney. Free Rounds of Golf, Disney Quest, Mini Golf, breakfasts, percentages off dinner theater like Hoop and luau, also coupons for free bikes or percentages off rec rentals like boats and para sailing, Disney Dollars, free upgrades to garden or pool views. The offers vary by season and tour group. My travel agent normally pulled quotes from 4 different vendors and then we would compare not only the overall cost but what perks came with it that we would actually utilize. I always went in knowing what the best price was from Disney Central Reservations so I had a frame of reference to compare the bundles to. It was always a giggle to see how much more Walt Disney Travel Corp offered over WDW Central Reservations.

    My travel agent also is able to book ADRs on behalf of us. For whatever reason at the 180 day mark they were able to pull this off quicker than I ever could without being up at dawn.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  5. #5
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    And there are several ways to chop some money off your trips beyond the rack discounts.

    Target sells Disney Gift Cards. If you purchase these with the 5% off Red Card and then use the gift cards to purchase your admission you've saved 5%.

    Sam's Club if you are a member is a bit better. $100 for $98.87 plus when you purchase that you receive a free $10 bonus Disney Gift Card. I know people who have purchased their entire Disney Vacation packages by purchasing thousands of Dollars worth of Sam's Gift Cards for payment on their packages. Then bought more to use for their out of pocket spending money while on their trip. The $10 bonus cards add up quickly when you are purchasing enough to cover your entire package stay and spending money.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  6. #6
    Gatorhead's Avatar
    Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    158

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    And there are several ways to chop some money off your trips beyond the rack discounts.

    Target sells Disney Gift Cards. If you purchase these with the 5% off Red Card and then use the gift cards to purchase your admission you've saved 5%.

    Sam's Club if you are a member is a bit better. $100 for $98.87 plus when you purchase that you receive a free $10 bonus Disney Gift Card. I know people who have purchased their entire Disney Vacation packages by purchasing thousands of Dollars worth of Sam's Gift Cards for payment on their packages. Then bought more to use for their out of pocket spending money while on their trip. The $10 bonus cards add up quickly when you are purchasing enough to cover your entire package stay and spending money.
    I never knew SAMs & Target sold Disney gift cards. Do you know if they can add amounts to existing balances on cards you may already have? This is great info!
    HauntedGabe likes this.

  7. #7
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorhead View Post
    I never knew SAMs & Target sold Disney gift cards. Do you know if they can add amounts to existing balances on cards you may already have? This is great info!
    Well Thanks.

    I don't think so, they come bundled, the $100 and the $10 bonus and they just activate the cards.
    Same goes for Target. I've seen theirs sold in Denominations of $50 and $100.

    I've sent both Sam's and Targets down to my DS at Disney for the holidays when he can't be home so he can have a nice meal with a friend while being so far from home during the holidays. Has worked perfectly.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  8. #8
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Authorized resellers will tend to have tickets of 3 days or more for better prices. Any direct Disney source will be at the gate price.

    Undercover Tourist is often the best prices available, but not always - but they have great customer service. Another highly-spoken-of one is Maple Leaf Tickets.

    Most AAA regional clubs will also have them at a lower cost.

    If you are price shopping, be sure to compare wither with or without tax in all cases. Disney has traditionally not shown tax until you checkout, so multiply by 1.065 to get the with-tax price. I think they've gotten a bit better though with the showing tax since the site changes.

    Note that you will ALWAYS pay 6.5% tax, regardless of source, unless you are a member of the military or are otherwise authorized to get tickets though your local military office.

    If you are exploring the gift card route (in which case you can only source the tickets from Disney), you'll need to figure out your savings in that case and compare.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  9. #9
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,356

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Authorized resellers will tend to have tickets of 3 days or more for better prices. Any direct Disney source will be at the gate price.

    Undercover Tourist is often the best prices available, but not always - but they have great customer service. Another highly-spoken-of one is Maple Leaf Tickets.

    Most AAA regional clubs will also have them at a lower cost.

    If you are price shopping, be sure to compare wither with or without tax in all cases. Disney has traditionally not shown tax until you checkout, so multiply by 1.065 to get the with-tax price. I think they've gotten a bit better though with the showing tax since the site changes.
    Wondering how the ol' finger scanning affects these tickets. I've been lucky over the years, interchanging my tickets with my wife. This past visit, I got stuck, but they let me through anyway. Plus, they made me sign the back of the ticket.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  10. #10
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Wondering how the ol' finger scanning affects these tickets. I've been lucky over the years, interchanging my tickets with my wife. This past visit, I got stuck, but they let me through anyway. Plus, they made me sign the back of the ticket.
    In the past, tickets purchased in a single transaction from Disney were often linked together, such that they could in general be used interchangeably. Didn't always work. I don't know if it worked for UT tickets, or how, as they buy tickets in bulk, and when you get them they have all different codes (i.e. not sequential).

    In theory with the MBs, it would be far easier to allow interchanging, as you can be linked via your DMX profile. However, the band is also meant to allow identifying information for that person as well (for the "enhanced experiences", plus purchase PIN code, etc.) that it is conceivable they won't allow it at all.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  11. #11
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,356

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    For years, my wife and I never bothered to notice the character on the ticket. We swiped and I'd put them both into my wallet. All of a sudden the finger scanning started catching non-linked prints to tickets. Let's see if MBs go black market and third party reseller.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  12. #12
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    For years, my wife and I never bothered to notice the character on the ticket. We swiped and I'd put them both into my wallet. All of a sudden the finger scanning started catching non-linked prints to tickets. Let's see if MBs go black market and third party reseller.
    Not sure why...they still do finger scans. The difference is, the MagicBand is linked to a whole profile (and ONLY a whole profile), whereas a standalone ticket was just a ticket (and still will be - as long as you don't want to use Fastpass+, at least that's the way it looks right now...they may allow "anonymous" profiles for standalone tickets though)

    Show up with a MagicBand that belonged to someone else...finger doesn't scan...CM looks at profile...and it's not you...you're not getting in...
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  13. #13
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,356

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Now you've got me wondering if they're going to install photo imaging monitors at the entrance gates. Very Big Brother-ish.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  14. #14
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Now you've got me wondering if they're going to install photo imaging monitors at the entrance gates. Very Big Brother-ish.
    Don't need that (although Disneyland still does put pictures on APs)

    "Sir, what's your name?"

    "Uhh...John?"

    "Can you step over here to security, sir, we'd like to ask a few questions..."

    Really not a lot different than how they dealt with AP inconsistencies when needed, except now the information if more readily available to the CMs (generally the supervisor with the iPad), but now not just for APs but any profile-linked ticket.

    I don't know if it was a planned "feature" or a side effect, but this greatly diminishes the black market for used tickets.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  15. #15
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,226

    Re: which is cheaper to buy tickets at?

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Don't need that (although Disneyland still does put pictures on APs)

    "Sir, what's your name?"

    "Uhh...John?"

    "Can you step over here to security, sir, we'd like to ask a few questions..."

    Really not a lot different than how they dealt with AP inconsistencies when needed, except now the information if more readily available to the CMs (generally the supervisor with the iPad), but now not just for APs but any profile-linked ticket.

    I don't know if it was a planned "feature" or a side effect, but this greatly diminishes the black market for used tickets.
    When my DD was smaller her AP pass always, always kicked back. As soon as they saw us and her brother waiting on half pint they'd just waive her through. No one elses APs kicked back, just half pint.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. photo pass cheaper if you pre purchase?
    By princessariel in forum Money Saving Tips / Budgeting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 08:55 AM
  2. Vacation booked but now cheaper rates?
    By zippitydoodah in forum Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM
  3. Annual Pass - cheaper in the long run?
    By Sarilas in forum Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM
  4. Jim Cramer Likes Disney -- Says Cheaper Vacation
    By TestSherpa in forum The Walt Disney Company
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
  5. Old WDW Tickets
    By KingJamesUT in forum Ask The Disney Experts
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •