Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss fast pass testing in the Ask The Experts forums; Originally Posted by thedisneydad Apparently in March, Disney will be charging Off Site guests the Magic Bands for 15 dollars per person. Paying 15 bucks will allow them to make ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: fast pass testing

Quote Originally Posted by thedisneydad View Post
    Apparently in March, Disney will be charging Off Site guests the Magic Bands for 15 dollars per person. Paying 15 bucks will allow them to make fast pass reservations in advance rather then the day of their trip.

This is terrible if you ask me. I go to Disney every year and stay in the resorts. Now in March, Which is the time of my next trip, Off site guests will get the same vacation plan as I do with spending not nearly as much as I do? Either Disney will start to give more perks to their resort guests, or they will be driving them away.
    I've yet to see the $15 buy a Magic Band. May I ask where you read that?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

thedisneydad is offline A-Ticket holder

It has been reported on several sites. The only site that I would give credibility to is adisneyworldafterall.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    It was reported a long time ago that they would give non-resort guests the option of purchasing a MagicBand...first I've heard of a price though, and it kind of flies in the face of the rumored $50 replacement cost for a lost one.

As for the fairness of it...under the old system, the offsite guests had the exact same amount of access that an onsite guest did. Right now they don't even have close to it. This allows them to spend money to get back on equal footing...yet some won't do it. So you should be happier that they are charging for it, rather than allow it for free like it used to be.

Seems to me that the resort guests will still have an advantage. Just not the same one they've had for the last couple months.
    Under the old system you are right, we all had the same opportunity to get fast passes. However, this new system has taken away the amount of fast passes we can now get. So due to the preferred availability and the times for the ride we want requested, resort guest should not have to compete with off site guests in order to get the most preferred reservation.

It was originally thought that along with the Disney Extra Magic Hours, by letting resort guests make reservations in advance, this new system was geared to bring off site guests into the resorts. However, by now allowing off site guests to make reservations in advance, there is no benefit to stay in the resort.

For example, lets say someone off site is planning on going to Hollywood Studios during peak season. Knowing they have to come as early as possible, then wait in line at a kiosks to select fast passes, this may end up to be a huge problem. Especially since there is the possibility that some of the rides that person wants, will either be out of fast passes, or that the return times will be well into the evening hours. Originally, without reservations, a lot of these people will stay in resorts instead, to ensure they get to ride the rides they want. But now, they are guaranteed a spot regardless of where they stay, so it seems Disney is kicking themselves in the leg.

In the end, it is more likely now that people who pay for the resorts like me, will save money and stay off site, rather then the likeliness of this system bringing in off site guests, to pay more money, and staying on site.

For 15 years, we go to Orlando for two weeks. One in a resort ($4500), then we check out and get into a 4br private pool home ($650.00.) for the 2nd week. Look at the costs! Without perks of staying in a resort, I can save nearly $4000, and have the same experience. On our 2nd week, we continue to use Disney resort Transportation from where we were in the 1st week. So again, what will gain by staying in the resort now.

Unless something changes next year, I will save thousands on my next trip. And this will go for everyone. Disney will need to show people that by spending more money here, you get more out of your trip. Not the same, not less, but more.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

At no point has Disney ever said that advanced FP+ was going to be a resort-exclusive perk. In fact, the only official statement said it came with park admission. It's been in the Terms & Conditions of the MDX web site since day one that MYW ticket holders will get to book FP+ experiences 60 days in advance - that's been published for about a year.

There has been a lot of _supposition_ that it would be a resort perk. Mostly fueled by the fact that they started testing with resort guests. Of course they did - they have more time to spend with resort guests, both at WDW and in advance, help them through the new system.

It seems to me that you're upset that you are not getting a new perk based on a false supposition. And apparently what you got before all the times you were a resort guest in the past isn't enough for you to stay as a resort guest now...and that's fair, but I don't see why FP+ is part of it.

The reason they are limiting everyone to three right now is that there was far too many complains that some had no chance at all to get Fastpasses for some attractions without having to be at the parks at rope drop, while others were able to monopolize the system and get upwards of 8-10 FPs. But on average a guest use slightly less than 3 per day. By limiting, they are doing two things - they are "spreading the wealth", giving the opportunity for most guests to utilize FP+ for at least one decent attraction. And second, they are increasing the time some guests spend at WDW by them needing an additional day or two to "do everything", a long-time goal.

Now, could resort guests gain _additional_ FP+ choices? That is still a possibility. Disney has had designs on such a system for _years_. But they needed a more controlled system to go with it. They still could give resort guests additional choices - but they need to get the system working flawlessly first and available to everyone it should be available to first before getting fancy with it. They need to evaluate utilization as a whole before they know if they can "afford" those additional choices. And some number crunching also shows that there likely isn't enough capacity at the major attractions to even support the three per guest (thus the tiering at Epcot and DHS), such that giving resort guests more might not be feasible.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Fast Pass + was for everyone. However, ONLY resort guests were allowed to reserve their ride in advance. Everyone off site needs to walk up to the kiosks to make their selection the day the enter the park. Disney now changed that. All advanced ticket purchases, regardless of where you are staying, can reserve rides in advance. This changed due to how long the Kiosk lines have been.

Fast Pass + was for everyone. However, ONLY resort guests were allowed to reserve their ride in advance. Everyone off site needs to walk up to the kiosks to make their selection the day the enter the park. Disney now changed that. All advanced ticket purchases, regardless of where you are staying, can reserve rides in advance. This changed due to how long the Kiosk lines have been.
    This is changing because it is how Disney had always intended it and had nothing to do with the lines at the kiosks. During _testing_ they limited it to Resort guests. Why? Because they had a group where they had full contact details for, could send emails and flyers and thumb drives and instructions to, etc. They could explain it at home, at the resorts, and at the parks, a small group at a time. They added another couple resorts, then another couple, etc. Offsite guests just happen to be the last group added to the system in a full capacity. They were given day-of access early because the regular FP system became near useless with how few slots were available and things were delayed as it was.

Disney NEVER said advanced FP+ selections were a resort-only perk. They said it was part of park admission from day one.

AP holders still have yet to get advanced access as well, but that should come shortly before general offsite guests.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

This is changing because it is how Disney had always intended it and had nothing to do with the lines at the kiosks. During _testing_ they limited it to Resort guests. Why? Because they had a group where they had full contact details for, could send emails and flyers and thumb drives and instructions to, etc. They could explain it at home, at the resorts, and at the parks, a small group at a time. They added another couple resorts, then another couple, etc. Offsite guests just happen to be the last group added to the system in a full capacity. They were given day-of access early because the regular FP system became near useless with how few slots were available and things were delayed as it was.

Disney NEVER said advanced FP+ selections were a resort-only perk. They said it was part of park admission from day one.

AP holders still have yet to get advanced access as well, but that should come shortly before general offsite guests.
    Many have been 'chosen' to be the testers for AP FP+ Magic Bands, testing for the AP'ers has been going on for a week or two.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Many have been 'chosen' to be the testers for AP FP+ Magic Bands, testing for the AP'ers has been going on for a week or two.
    Yes, but as a general group, we haven't been told when yet, except "2014" and "soon".
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

Yes, but as a general group, we haven't been told when yet, except "2014" and "soon".
    It is getting kinda annoyingly funny now, the standard reply now is 2014. Just blanket 2014 for just about anything.

Oh WDW, I took these little pieces of papers for granted. I lust after DL for not making their teeny tiny magical pieces of paper extinct.

touringplans

Here is what my Disney Brochure says from last Septembers trip when the bands arrived.

Now, as a Disney resort guest perk, with fast pass + you can now reserve your fast pass attractions within your 60-day window. As long as you are staying in one of our fabulous Disney World Resorts, you will not need to plan your fast passes at the kiosk the day of your trip.

Disney has been seeing 20 minute lines at the kiosk in Feb. This is an absolute fact. 22-days ago, people who stayed off sites, were unable to to reserve fast passes. 21-days ago, nearly everyone who is going to Disney this March 15th and later, were emailed notifying them they can now make reservations.

Once again to recap the timeline for you. Disney's own brochures a couple months ago read "As a perk for Disney World Resort guests". Along with that, people off site could only reserve fast passes the day they arrived. 3-weeks ago, off site guests, with tickets purchased through Disney, began to be notified that they can now reserve fast passes, when they were unable to do so before.

This all means, A Change of Policy was made.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Oh WDW, I took these little pieces of papers for granted. I lust after DL for not making their teeny tiny magical pieces of paper extinct.

touringplans
    Every trip, before we left the park at night, my son made us stop by a fast pass machine to get a fast pass as a souvenir. We have a pretty decent collection at home. My 11-year old son is now telling everyone that he will be Millionaire someday, because of how much money they will be worth. I hope he is right lol.

Here is what my Disney Brochure says from last Septembers trip when the bands arrived.

Now, as a Disney resort guest perk, with fast pass + you can now reserve your fast pass attractions within your 60-day window. As long as you are staying in one of our fabulous Disney World Resorts, you will not need to plan your fast passes at the kiosk the day of your trip.

Disney has been seeing 20 minute lines at the kiosk in Feb. This is an absolute fact. 22-days ago, people who stayed off sites, were unable to to reserve fast passes. 21-days ago, nearly everyone who is going to Disney this March 15th and later, were emailed notifying them they can now make reservations.

Once again to recap the timeline for you. Disney's own brochures a couple months ago read "As a perk for Disney World Resort guests". Along with that, people off site could only reserve fast passes the day they arrived. 3-weeks ago, off site guests, with tickets purchased through Disney, began to be notified that they can now reserve fast passes, when they were unable to do so before.

Disney has been saying all along, "During testing..." (they are VERY fond of that phrase) as well. But the guy in charge of the whole NextGen project (whose name escapes me now) said in a public video that it would be a function of park admission, not resort stay. This was over a year ago. The Terms and Conditions of the My Disney Experience web site has from the first day it was posted, also over a year ago, said that AP and MYW ticket holders would get to make their choices 60 days in advance, with no mention whatsoever of any resort stay requirement. And that language has remained on there every day since, and is still there.

So if they ever decided it was to be for resort guests only as a perk, THAT was a policy change. But I still don't believe any policy change in that regard ever occurred, and the documentation you cite was simply true during testing and had no bearing on how the system would ultimately be utilized.

I don't think Disney ever expected to need to utilize the kiosks in the long term for all the offsite guests. Despite what we all complain about, Disney is nowhere near that short sighted. They know the number of offsite guests they have, they know the average dwell time at those kiosks - they know what the delays would be like. If it was going to be a problem for them, they would have added more - if the intent was for all offsite guests to use them going forward.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

I believe you are misinterpreting the information. What you are calling Policy which it was not a Policy it was a Graduated Phase in and phase out of Paper Fastpasses and a Graduated Phase in of MBs and RFID cards and a Graduated Phase out of Paper ticket media. Big difference.

That was during a test period, guests of Disney were invited to participate in the test as were their cast members.
    It was not a policy, it was a phased in test period gradually adding in more and more guests of the parks. As Magic Bands were phased in many were added into the mix, it started with a few chosen from specific resorts and then worked their way through to all the resorts and then elimination of paper FP machines to FP+, they are now testing for AP holders and gradually phasing in the AP holders to the reservation system. One of the phases when the Paper FPs were removed was to have off sight and day visitors to make FP+ reservations the day of entering the parks. Another graduated phase planned to be implemented not a change in any Policy.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 02-23-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Well, the latest is that Disney has been contacting guests who have ADRs booked within the next week and inviting them to the test and book FP+ in advance. I've heard from several so far. One was staying at the Swan, but there was no indication it was related to that but their BoG reservation for dinner, while another had ADRs booked but never booked a room and never canceled the ADR!

The offsite hoards are coming!
    Doc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast