Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Old Vacation Planning Videos in the Ask The Experts forums; I have been getting the vaction planning videos for years, but I was wondering, how many have there been? When did they start? Anyone?...
    dave_echidna is offline A-Ticket holder

Old Vacation Planning Videos

I have been getting the vaction planning videos for years, but I was wondering, how many have there been? When did they start?

Anyone?

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    I would hazard a guess to say they first came out in the very late 70s and early 80s, but as I said, that's just a complete guess. My favourite video from WDW isn't a planning one, but the 1981 'A Dream Called Walt Disney World'. It's just so dated, it makes you want to cry!

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Not sure here myself. Mid-late 70s at least

I have read a couple of replays that say late 70s, but that can't be right. Most people didn't have vcrs back then, and vhs tapes would have been too expensive for Disney to hand them out free. Now I know that Disney produced programmes on their parks in the 60s and 70s, but when did they start mailing out free vacation planning videos?

Cheers
    Dave

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    BTW - If anyone is looking for rare WDW videos, from before the resort even opened, try Disney-Central. They have an amazing collection, including one which is entirely almost about building the Magic Kingdom.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i'm gonna say sometime in the mid to late 80's bc that when most of mine are from...they are a great way to look back and see some rides that are no longer there. i love the GM one with world of motion, the "futuristic" cars of the 80's are a kick!
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    OK...This is driving me up the wall as to when because I know I had one from the 80's but cant remember exactly what year
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

20K: Do you think you could post a link to that Disney-central page? I can't find it anywhere.

Mark Goldhaber is offline B-Ticket Holder
    #Disney-Central is not a web site but an IRC channel. You'd need to get on IRC and go to the #Disney-Central channel, then browse the available files.

My earliest planning video is a Magic Kingdom Club Gold video from 1993.

Mark:

Excellent! I suspected that planning videos started in the early '90s, but thank you for confirming it. I want to get hold of copies of some of these so when I get a break from my thesis I will browse Disney central.

marni1971 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    There was certainly one produced in 1980 - Disney Central is the place. The Magic of Walt Disney World came out in 1972 but its not exactly a vacation planner.