Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Magic Bands in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi there. My family and I are from the UK and are coming to WDW in July. We are staying at the art of animation resort. I have the My ...
    Wayne1975 is offline A-Ticket holder

Magic Bands

Hi there. My family and I are from the UK and are coming to WDW in July. We are staying at the art of animation resort. I have the My disney experience app on my phone and saw that I can sync my reservation and magic bands to it but what I want to know is how. We have booked our vacation through a travel agent but don't seem to have any reservation number. will we have to wait till we check in to the resort or can we do it all before we leave home.

Would be grateful for any help

Wayne.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Re: Magic Bands

Wish I could help but I know zero about these Magic Bands. I tried to help a friend plan a vacation and the whole Magic Band thing completely messed me up.

I think a Podcast dedicated to the ins and outs/ups and downs of the Magic Bands is sorely needed.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne1975 View Post
    Hi there. My family and I are from the UK and are coming to WDW in July. We are staying at the art of animation resort. I have the My disney experience app on my phone and saw that I can sync my reservation and magic bands to it but what I want to know is how. We have booked our vacation through a travel agent but don't seem to have any reservation number. will we have to wait till we check in to the resort or can we do it all before we leave home.

Would be grateful for any help

Wayne.
    You need that reservation number. Your travel agent should have it, ask for it. I'd start when you get it to get everything sync'd ahead of time so when you are at the 60 day window for FP+ you can do that without frustration. We quickly learned that onsight support staff are not always the most well trained, we had 3 new employees earning the ears at check in. (didn't go well) We needed it also to book our FP+ reservations too and our park passes. We had a devil of a time sync'ing everything and were connected to tech support at least six times until we were finally connect by chance with a competition person who fixed it in 3 minutes.

FYI Everyone: If you had any previous accounts with Disney, Blog, The Disney Store using the same email address and used a nickname or such it will mess with the syncing. If we knew all this we would have created a new email address for the trip or changed the previous accounts to reflect names on reservations.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Wayne1975 is offline A-Ticket holder

To HauntedGabe,
    Thanks for the advice. will get on to travel agent right away and get this sorted. Ive read that they bands have their pros and cons so fingers crossed all goes well for us.

The more I hear about this Magic Band and FP+ program, the less I like it.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys

Magic Bands sound neat, FP+ not so much.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

The best part of my Magic Band was getting into my room with two hot beverages in my hands. Beyond that it solved non existent problems, took longer to get into the parks. I never was able to get into the MK with my band (other 3 parks I could) so they I had to wait for an iPad'd CM to ask me multiple questions and check my reservation. Yeah, some convenience. And every time someone got a white or blue light the line to get in backed up even more to get in.

It was nice to have FPs in a clump you were not ever kill'n time between but not a good enough trade off for more than 3 FP+s but they are adding more soon and then hopper FP+s after that. So pretty soon limiting the amount of FPs one could get, the goal, FP+ will accomplish what?

The band bugged my DD skin. Me, oddly I didn't even feel it most days except the real hot days. Sweaty.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Csmith041177 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thanks for the information. I am a little worried about my upcoming experience with the bands and the new system...

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I got back a few days ago.

While the MagicBands didn't really solve any "issues", they also didn't cause us any issues either. In general they worked. We were able to get into the parks without any issues at all, and for us it took no longer than before and in fact was in general faster if you know what you are doing - ideally, wear the band on your left wrist at least to get into the parks. Put it against the reader while also putting your finger on the scanner. That way it can be checking both at the same time. Green is good - blue (why they chose blue I have no idea) means it didn't get a valid scan and to try again. We had no problems at all at the turnstiles but a few times at the payment terminals and FP+ scanners I had to scan a second time to validate.

The only thing I disliked is that for the resort rooms, the reader is too close to the handle and the frame to make it easy to position your wrist to open the door. And sometimes the payment readers can be awkwardly placed.

As for FP+, it worked perfectly fine for us, but we were able to plan and knew what we were doing. And starting tomorrow you will be able to get additional FP+ (from what is still available at least) after you've used your first three selections, and you'll be able to park hop with those additional selections as well.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I had to wait for an iPad'd CM to ask me multiple questions and check my reservation.
    I found the root of the problem. Apple products are involved. I vote we scrap the whole system.

MikeA is offline A-Ticket holder

I made trips to WDW in both December and March, using Magic Bands and the FastPass +
    Even between those trips I saw some improvements in the system. Generally faster and smoother operation, more knowledgeable castmembers, and more reliable scanning. It's a HUGE undertaking and I'm sure Disney will work the bugs out., They don't have any choice really - as it's to big of an investment to scrap now.

The FastPass+ worked wonderfully for me. It allowed me to get fastpasses ahead of time, but more importantly I was able to change them mid-day in the park on my cellphone and arrange new times that better fit my schedule. I had no real problems at all, but I admit it's a bit tedious, with too many steps if you want to change more than one ride time. But it always worked for me.

A little patience will go along way to making the new system enjoyable. Once I'm on Disney property, there's almost nothing that can go wrong, that would spoil my trip... I just don't let it. It is a choice you make

Drumrocker365 is offline A-Ticket holder

I don't like the FP+ idea. Who really wants to make an itinerary for their day 60 days before hand. I liked the freedom of the original FP where you could just do what ever. Now you have to have a schedule for what you're gonna do? Wow.. I'm going in December and I'm worried about this.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'll be there in November, and I'm still not too sure about it myself. I'm trying to keep an open mind though.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

snooty3 is offline A-Ticket holder

Does anyone know what comes up on the Cast Members screen when a magic band is swiped is it just the guest's name? Thanks.

2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski

From what I saw yes it is just your name.
    Love Disney. I hope to go next spring with the whole family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast