Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss WDW Sister Surprise? in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi all, I am hoping for some suggestions for a special treat to suprise my sister with in Disney next month. I want to "treat" her to something while we ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

WDW Sister Surprise?

Hi all, I am hoping for some suggestions for a special treat to suprise my sister with in Disney next month. I want to "treat" her to something while we are there for our quick trip.

The back story quickly on the short trip. She and I are driving a car down to FLA for our mother, who can't make the long drive from Michigan but needs her car down there for her, and we are going to clean and open up her condo for her for her upcoming arrival there. In doing so, we are squeezing in a few days at the WORLD.

Anyway, I have an AP so I get us a fall discount code (we are staying at POP, first time for both of us).

She is going to buy park tickets for a few days, and it is just the two of us (kids couldn't come, but this was a last minute thing and they don't mind, and our fabulous husbands, who also are unable to come, are pulling childcare duty). Anyway, we have both been to Disney a number of times, but not like this together. She has had a pretty rough couple of years and I know money is really tight for her right now.

I want to treat her to something special while we are there-any ideas? She loves food, so a Disney restaurant? Evening event? Any ideas? She doesn't spring for "extras" much like nice sit-down meals or character meals or things that cost extra, so I want to do something like that for her. Any ideas, my DWT travel planners? I appreciate any advice. Thanks all

(And Dissylove wants to apologize for this long post.....)
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Suggestion would be www.disneyflorist.com they have some nice things

Or a Illuminations cruise

I think that is awesome that you are doing this for your Sister! Oh how I wish I had a Sister! There are soooooo many great things you guys could do together, but if it's a restaurant that she normally wouldn't splurge for we love the Coral Reef! The food is great and the atmosphere and views are beautiful! (Just not sure of the restaurants status with the Living Seas under rehab....) Or what about the Luau at the Polynesian???? Haven't done it before, but would jump at the chance if we didn't have the kids with us! Good luck with your decision and be sure to keep us posted on the outcome!

Hoop-de-do Revue or the Backyard BBQ

If your there in October how about the Mickey's Halloween Party

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Yeah the florist is a great idea. I did it for the BF last year and had a special welcome basket made up just for him waiting in our room when we got there. It even had his first pair of ears in it. If you guys have time try an early moring tour. Might I suggest my fave Dolphins in Depth (imagine that being my favorite ).

As far as a meal I really liked Ohana.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

bwbelle is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    if it's a restaurant that she normally wouldn't splurge for we love the Coral Reef! The food is great and the atmosphere and views are beautiful! (Just not sure of the restaurants status with the Living Seas under rehab....)
    From everything I've heard and read, the Coral Reef will be open during rehab and will not be affected. It is a perfect place for a very special dinner. Also, you may want to consider a mini-spa treatment at GF Spa. It's pricey, but even just a manicure or facial for the two of you is so relaxing, plus you get the use of the facilities all day, during the day of your treatments. And they have dry/wet saunas and a hot tub. My mom, sis, and I did that last year for my birthday and it was wonderful.

Whatever you choose to do, I know you will have a wonderful time because the two of you will be together, and that's the most important thing of all.
    Raising the 3rd generation of WDW fanatics!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Illuminations Cruise?
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 09-12-2005 at 11:28 AM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Wow thanks for the ideas guys, lots of good things to think of! She and I need to talk about our itinerary so then maybe once I know of our time there I can figure something out. I appreciate all the help!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    There is a Mickey's Halloween Party during the time you will be there. That is part of my brother's Christmas present.

We also liked Artist Point as an evening meal. It was very delicious and short boat ride away from MK which we went back to for Wishes.

Thanks for the tips. I have never been to Disney at this time of the year, does anyone have a link or more info they can share on the Halloween party?

Each year Mickey hosts a Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom. This is a hard ticket event -- meaning you need to purchase a separate ticket for entry (just like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party). The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a fun spooky haven for trick-or-treaters of all ages.

2005 DATES:

September 30
    October 2, 6, 7, 11, 13, 16, 20, 21, 23, 25, 27, 28, 30 and 31

TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Call 407-W-DISNEY.

PRICES for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party:

Advance purchase
    Age 10 & up $37.23
    Age 3-9 $29.77

Day of event and October 31
    Age 10 & up $42.55
    Age 3-9 $35.10

Annual passholder discounts available September 30, October 2, 6, 20, 23 and 25
    Age 10 & up $31.90
    Age 3-9 $25.51

Children under 3 are admitted free.

Guide to the Goodies
    Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
    Information Based on 2004 Party

The Magic Kingdom is transformed into a kid-friendly "Spookey-Ookey" Party! It is one of the most themed special events at the Magic Kingdom and provides an evening of great fun for all!

Mickey's Boo-To-You Halloween Parade - A not to be missed; fun parade with floats and characters you won't see any other time. Disney Characters in costume! Even Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet dress up in costume for the parade! Twice a night at 8:00 and 10:00pm. Don't miss they unique parade that you'll only see at this Party! The parade is preceeded by the ride of the Headless Horseman!

TIP: 10 minutes prior to the Parade Start time, Mr. Knickerbocker takes his place in front of the Liberty Bell and tells the story of the Headless Horseman. At the time he finishes the story, the Horseman begins his gallop through the Magic Kingdom. Once the Horseman has cleared the entire parade route, the parade begins on Main Street!

Adults and Children Trick-or-Treat throughout the park in costume! Upon entering the Magic Kingdom you receive a small Orange Trick or Treat bag. At designated locations throughout the park, Cast Members give out treats. This is the one part of the party that seemed paltry. Lines at the Trick or Treats stops were not as long in 2003 but the candy was minimal. There were also some Cast Members walking the parade route giving out candy.

TIP: Look for the Mickey Ear Pumpkin Balloon overhead to see where the Trick or Treat Spots are

Halloween Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks - Fantasy in the Sky with changes! Instead of Tinker Bell flying at the start of the fireworks, look for a witch on a broomstick near the end of the show! Awesome perimeter fireworks are also part of the show at 9:15pm.

TIP: Head down by the entrance to the Rose Garden path for a less crowded view of the fireworks.

Characters in Costumes - Characters in the meet and greet areas and throughout the park were in Halloween Costumes! It was great fun and provided a unique photo opportunity.

Halloween Riverboat Ride - with strolling musicians, storytellers and characters, always a popular show! Check the Riverboat dock for times.

Halloween Storytellers

Mask Making Stations for Kids

Main Street was transformed into an eerie sight with dark green and orange lights, pumpkins in the windows and shadows of witches and bats moving to and fro.

Cinderella's Surprise Celebration - the Castle Forecourt Stage show which also is shown during the day.

Complimentary Family Photo - get your picture taken with Mickey's Halloween background and receive a free 4x6 in the mail in a couple weeks. A great memento of the party!

Attractions: Most of the attractions are open.

Epcot's
    2005 International
    Food & Wine Festival

Starting Monday, July 25, 2005, at 7:00 a.m., you can make your special reservations
    for the Food and Wine Festival by calling 1-407-WDW-FEST.

Ticketed events include:

The Odyssey Cooking School - Thursdays, 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.

Have a hands–on learning experience with a guest chef -- for the first time at the Festival! Each class will cook a themed meal that will be sampled at the conclusion of the class.

Cost: $100 per person (plus tax, gratuity included)

10/06 - Mexican, Ximena Mariscal, Escuela de Cocina Mexico
    10/13 - Classic American Steakhouse, Ted Siegel,The Institute of Culinary Education
    10/20 - Italian, Giuliano Hazan, Cooking School, Tampa
    10/27 - Indian Treasures, Julie Sahni, Brooklyn, New York
    11/03 - Japanese, Chef Kanda, Mitsukoshi, Epcot
    11/10 - Mediterranean Treats, Einev Gefen, New York City

Food & Wine Pairings

Discover three wines with three tasting portions from Epcot signature restaurants.

Cost: $35 per person (plus tax, gratuity included)

Sake, Sushi, and Sashimi
    Mitsukoshi Restaurant, Japan Pavilion
    October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 & November 7
    3:30 - 5 p.m.

Mediterranean Family Style
    Restaurant Marrakesh, Morocco Pavilion
    October 4, 11, 18, 25, November 1 & 8
    3:30 - 5:00 p.m.

Regional French Specialties -A selection of the finest charcuterie, a variety of prepared meats and meat dishes that are cured, smoked, or processed, such as pates, rillettes, hams, sausages, etc., and imported French cheeses will be paired with the wine selection.
    Bistro de Paris, France Pavilion
    October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, & November 5
    2:30 - 4 p.m.

Regional Italian Specialties
    L'Originale Alfredo di Roma, Italy Pavilion
    October 2, 9, 16, 23, November 6 & 13
    2:30 - 4:00 p.m.

As of 7/25/05: 10/2 Pairing is sold out!

Featured wineries and menu selection will change daily for the following programs:

Coral Reef, Living Seas Pavilion
    September 30, October 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28, and November 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, & 11
    3:00 - 4:30 p.m.

Le Cellier Steakhouse, Canada Pavilion
    September 30, October 7, 14, 21, 28, November 4 & 11
    3:00 - 4:30 p.m.

As of 7/25/05: 10/21 Pairing is sold out!

Sweet Sundays - Sundays, 10:00 a.m. – noon

Cakes, pastries and all things sweet take center stage while a celebrity pastry chef creates three dessert items for you to sample! The morning session begins with a light breakfast and a sparkling refreshment.

Cost: $55 per person (plus tax, gratuity included)

10/2 - Julian Rose, Pastry Chef, Switzerland's Barry-Callebaut Chocolates
    10/9 - Jacquy Pfeiffer, Pastry Chef, French Pastry School, Chicago
    10/16 - Jean Claude Perrenou, Pastry Chef, Waldorf Astoria, New York City
    10/23 - Richard Ruskell, Pastry Chef, Montage, Laguna Beach, CA
    10/30 - Wayne Harley Brachman, Pastry Chef, Author, Food Network's Melting Pot, New York City
    11/6 - Jeff Lehuede, Pastry Chef, Four Seasons, Laguna Beach, CA
    11/13 -Colette Peters, Pastry Chef, Author, Colette's Cakes, NY

Lunch and Learn - Fridays and Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

Observe a celebrity chef prepare your three–course lunch. A notable wine principal will present accompanying wines.
    Cost: $75 per person (plus tax, gratuity included)

9/30 - Suvir Saran, Devi, New York NY - Indian/Schloss Wallhausen Wines
    10/1 - Michael Moore, Michael Moore Restaurant, London, England/Gloria Ferrer Wines
    10/7 - John Malik, 33 Liberty, SC - American/Silverado Wines
    10/8 - John Ash, Fetzer Vineyards, CA/Bonterra Wines
    10/14 - Ming Tsai, Blue Ginger, MA - Asian/Guenoc Wines
    10/15 - Karlheinz Hauser - S. Ilberg, Hamburg, Germany/Stag's Leap Wines
    10/21 - TBA/Rudi West Wines
    As of 8/2/05: 10/21 Lunch & Learn is sold out!
    10/22 - Andrew Sutton, Napa Rose, CA, American/Ste. Michelle Wines
    10/28 - Cat Cora, Iron Chef - American/Chalk Hill Wines
    As of 8/18/05, 10/28 Lunch & Learn is sold out!
    10/29 - Dede Wilson, PBS - American/Beaulieu Vineyards
    11/4 - Chris Prosperi, Metro Bis, CT - French/Mas de la Dame Wines
    11/5 - Nina Simonds - A Spoonful of Ginger, Author, Asian/Charles Krug wines
    11/11 - Ben and Karen Barker, Magnolia Grill, NC, Southern/Silver Oak wines
    11/12 - Sondra Bernstein, Girl and the Fig, Sonoma, CA/Fess Parker wines

A Party for the Senses - Saturdays, 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. - World Showcase, World ShowPlace

Eat, drink and celebrate at this truly magical evening of culinary excellence. Sample signature dishes and exceptional wines at this grand event featuring more than 20 eminent chefs and 70 wines and beers, encircled by awe–inspiring entertainment from Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba. Begin your evening with reserved seats at an "Eat to the Beat" Concert.

Cost: $95 per person (plus tax, gratuity included)

Epcot Wine Schools - Select Saturdays and Sundays, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

As of 8/8/05, ALL the Wine Schools are sold out!

Embrace this exceptional opportunity to spend the day with a pro. Sessions include breakfast, a tasting of the finest wines, lunch inspired by those wines, and a certificate of completion. Authorities include Italy Wine School, the Prestigious "Advanced Bordeaux Wine School USA" and Advanced Aussie Wine School.

Cost: $125 per person (plus tax, includes gratuity). Park admission not required.

10/15 - Mastering Wine 101 presented by Karen MacNeil from the Culinary Institute Of America (Wonders Retreat in the Wonders of Life Pavilion)
    10/22 - Advanced Aussie Wine School presented by Matt Lane from Southcorp (Wonders Retreat)
    10/23 - Advanced Aussie Wine School presented by Matt Lane from Southcorp (Wonders Retreat)
    10/29 - Italian Wine School presented Sharron McCarthy from Castello Banfi (Alfredo's, Italian Pavilion)
    10/30 - Italian Wine School presented Sharron McCarthy from Castello Banfi (Alfredo's, Italian Pavilion)
    11/05 - Spain Wine School presented by Doug Frost M.S, M.W. (Wonders Retreat)
    11/12 - Advanced Bordeaux Wine School presented by Robin Kelley O'Connor (Bistro de Paris, France Pavilion)

Exquisite Evenings at Epcot - Fridays and select Thursdays, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Held at World ShowPlace, located between United Kingdom and Canada Pavilions, except as noted.

Celebrity and Walt Disney World Signature Restaurant Chefs team up to prepare a stellar five–course meal. Renowned wine professionals showcase wines from two to three different vineyards to complement the stellar meals.

9/30 10th Anniversary Champagne Dinner – Brilliant Bubbles
    Guest Chefs: Nora Pouillon, Restaurant Nora,Washington DC, and Susanna Foo, Chinese Cuisine, Philadelphia, PA
    Wineries: Dom Pérignon, Veuve Clicquot, Moët et Chandon

10/07 South American – Sizzlin' South America
    Guest Chefs: Roberto Trevino, Parrot Club, Puerto Rico;Martin Rios, The Old House, Santa Fe, NM
    Wineries: Casa Lapostolle & Concha y Toro

10/13 Napa Valley – California Goldmine
    Guest Chefs: Bradley Ogden, Lark Creek Inn,California, and Bart Hosmer and Carlos Sanchez, Parcel 104, California
    Wineries: Fife Vineyards and Niebaum-Coppola

10/14 Australia – The Amazement of Australia
    Guest Chefs: Andrew Ormsby – Tucker,Dallas, Texas, Will Ford - 8 Mile Creek,New York City
    Winery: Penfolds exclusive

10/20 Pacific Northwest – Pacific Northwest Escape
    Guest Chefs: Charles Ramseyer – Rays Boathouse, Seattle,WA;
    John Howie – Seastar, Seattle,WA
    Wineries: Ste.Michelle and WillaKenzie

10/21 Italian – A Taste of Italy
    Guest Chef TBA
    Wineries: Antinori and Masi

10/27 Italian Night – Tuscan Tales
    Guest Chef: Roberto Donna,Galileo,Washington DC
    Wineries: Castello Banfi and Castello di Querceto

10/28 Bordeaux – French Fatale
    Guest Chefs: Dominique Bouchet,Dominique Bouchet Restaurant, France;Michael Ginor, Hudson Valley Foie Gras,New York
    Wineries: Château Angélus and Château Suduiraut
    ** This dinner will be held in the Wonders Retreat within the Wonders of Life Pavilion.

11/04 Rhone – Romancing the Rhone
    Guest Chef: Michel Richard – Citronelle,Washington DC
    Winery: Jean-Luc Columbo – exclusive

11/10 Discover Portugal
    Guest Chef: Santi Zabeleta, Taberna del Alabardero,Washington DC; Manuel Azuedo, La Salette, Sonoma
    Winery: Broadbent Selections

11/11 California Adventure
    Guest Chef: Joachim Stlichal, Patina, CA, Disneyland Chefs: Ralph Stuhlmeyer, Jorge Sotelo
    Wineries: B.R.Cohn and Caymus Vineyards

Cost: $185 per person (plus tax, includes gratuity). Park admission not required.

Signature Dinner Series - Select Sundays, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.

Walt Disney World Signature Restaurant Chefs welcome a celebrity chef into their kitchens to prepare a fantastic five–course dinner. All meals are accompanied by great wines and are hosted by featured vintners.

Sunday, October 2 -- California Dreamin’
    California Grill, Contemporary Resort
    Winery: Flora Springs and Wattle Creek
    Guest Chef:Cal Stamenov, Bernardus Lodge, Carmel Valley, California

Sunday, October 9 -- Flavors of Africa
    Jiko – The Cooking Place, Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Winery:Cape Classics
    Guest Chef: Joseph Seeletso, Phakalane Resort, Botswana, Africa

Sunday, October 16 -- Aussie Capers
    Citricos – The Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
    Winery: Wynns Coonawarra Estate
    Guest Chef: Andrew Ormsby, Tucker, Dallas, Texas

Sunday, October 16 -- Tour de France
    Bistro de Paris – Epcot, France Pavilion
    Winery: Pierre Sparr, La Louviere

Sunday, October 23 -- Jewels of the Greek Isles
    Citricos – The Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
    Winery: Boutari
    Guest Chef: Paul Delios,Meze Esetario, Boston,Massachusetts

Thursday, November 3 India Inspirations
    Jiko – The Cooking Place, Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Winery: 57 Main Street
    Guest Chef: Floyd Cardoz, Tabla, NYC

Sunday, November 6 -- A Trapper's Expedition
    Le Cellier Steakhouse – Epcot, Canada Pavilion
    Winery: Inniskillin and Jackson-Triggs
    Guest Chefan Atkinson, Salmon House on the Hill, Vancouver, B.C.

Cost: $145 (plus tax, gratuity included)

Vertical Wine Tastings - Saturdays, 1:30 – 3 p.m.

Sample at least 10 vintages from exceptional vineyards with a wine authority moderating each tasting at the California Grill located in the Contemporary Resort.

Cost: Ranges from $95 – $150 per person (plus tax, gratuity included)

10/01 Flora Springs Trilogy Red Meritage, Napa Valley
    Host – Andrea Robinson M.S.

10/08 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
    Host – Fred Dame M.S.

10/15 Wynns Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia
    Host – Matt Lane

10/22 Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
    Host – Evan Goldstein M.S.

10/29 Chateau Angelus, St. Emilion "Premier Grand Cru
    Classe"
    Host – Hubert de Bouard

11/5 Jean-Luc Columbo "Cornas" Vertical of A Single
    Vineyard Syrah, Rhone
    Host – Doug Frost M.S., M.W.

11/12 A. Ferreira Vintage Port, Portugal
    Host – Bartholomew Broadbent

Specialty Dinners

For the first time, WDW is offering unique dining adventures exclusive to Epcot during the festival! Each dinner has a unique theme depending upon the date and location as indicated below.

October 30 - 6 - 9 p.m. Spirited Ball

The American Adventure Pavilion will be haunted by history! Indulge in a wonderfully eerie Halloween eve Masked Ball complete with reception-style dinner, ghoulish ****tails and dancing. Costumes prohibited but masks provided.
    * American Adventure Pavilion
    * Cost: $145 per person, plus tax, gratuity included

November 3 - 6 - 9 p.m. A Taste of Turkey: A Mediterranean Feast

Acclaimed chefs from Turkey bring their tastes and traditions from the Orient to present a feast full of Turkish delights, reminiscent of the days of the Ottoman Empire.
    * World ShowPlace
    * Cost: $185 per person, plus tax, gratuity included

November 8 - 6 - 9 p.m. Brewers' Dinner - An Evening with Jim Koch

Enjoy an elegant dinner with the founder of Samuel Adams Beer. Jim Koch will take you through the history of beer in America and surprize you with great food and beer pairings. Explore the flavor and nuances of great premium domestic beers from Boston Beer Company, brewers of Samuel Adams.
    * American Adventure Pavilion
    * Cost: $125 per person, plus tax, gratuity included.
    Last edited by Kellie19891992; 09-13-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Cirque du Soliel La Nouba is absolutely the best thing in the whole world for a "special" treat. We have seen it twice and love it! Since it can be pricey, it would be a wonderful thing for you and your sister to share without having to buy tickets for the kids. I know that if my sister took me to see La Nouba I would be her slave for life. Well, for an hour or two maybe.

Seriously, La Nouba.
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    Cirque du Soliel La Nouba is absolutely the best thing in the whole world for a "special" treat. We have seen it twice and love it! Since it can be pricey, it would be a wonderful thing for you and your sister to share without having to buy tickets for the kids. I know that if my sister took me to see La Nouba I would be her slave for life. Well, for an hour or two maybe.

Seriously, La Nouba.
    I do think it's an accquired taste...we saw it and I would give anything to have the money back that we spent. Just not for me......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast