Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Fish etc in 'The Living Seas' in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi everyone, We have just returned home after our second trip to WDW Florida during which we had an absolutely wonderful time - yet again - and didn't want to ...
    ukscubaguy is offline A-Ticket holder

Fish etc in 'The Living Seas'

Hi everyone,

We have just returned home after our second trip to WDW Florida during which we had an absolutely wonderful time - yet again - and didn't want to come home!

My Fiancée arranged for me to dive in 'The Living Seas' Aquarium as a surprise (I qualified as a diver back in April).

Unfortunately 'The Living Seas' was closed for refurbishment and so I didn't pick up any information about the types of fish, sharks & turtle that I was diving with.

If anyone could provide me with a list of the fish etc in the aquarium I would be very grateful.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    First off, welcome! It's hard enough to find another diver on this board, but one who's also a Brit?

How was DiveQuest? I've always thought of doing it, but never have.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Hi 20K,

It was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is about 3 hours in total, you are led around the back of 'The Living Seas' and shown a short video of what you will be doing. You are then led to the changing rooms where a 3mm shorty and boots are provided for you. After you have changed you are then led to the Aquarium where after a short safety briefing you swim out to a buoy and then drop to the bottom. You then follow the DM on a short swim around the aquarium before going into a clear diving bell where you take off your mask and wave at the diver videoing your dive. You then go off in you buddy pairs for a free swim.

You are videoed for the first 20 minutes so if you do it I would advise you to stick close to the camera if you intend to buy the DVD of your experience as no cameras are allowed into the aquarium.

The visitors' area was closed when I did it so we couldn't interact with the general public, but we had fun with the people in the restaurant which was still open.

You swim for about 40 minutes in total.

I would recommend it unless you are a hardened wreck diver and would consider this cheating.

Random Qs -
    3mm shorties?
    Was the water not pretty cold, or just initially?

How deep do you ultimately go?

And of course, did you do the always-popular reg ditch for the guests in the restaurant? I sure as heck would! That and the mask too. You can really get a reaction out of younger kids.

- Walt Disney

My dive watch registered 7.5 Mtrs with a temperature of 27+ deg C. Positively balmy compared to diving in the English Channel even in summer!

Didn't do the reg or mask ditch but did play around with the people and children in the restaurant. It was a shame the visitors section of the aquarium was closed for refurbishment as we couldn't mess about with the visitors too.

There were lots of flashes going off from the folkes in the restaurant so I guess they enjoyed our show.

I wonder if anyone else here has a clue what we're talkin' about...

- Walt Disney

LaBretonne2002 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    My boyfriend is a dive instructor and he did Dive Quest when we were there in March. He loved it. (I'm a diver too but didn't go because my son wanted to go soo much but wasn't old enough) So we're all going to do it next time we go. It's so nice watching the video that they made for my bf.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Do you just want a list of the names of the fish? If so, I can get that when we got to Epcot on Wednesday.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    I wonder if anyone else here has a clue what we're talkin' about...
    My cousin was a College Program CM (just like me! its a family business i guess) and he did DQ several times while he was a CM and now 2 times a year when he goes down to re-up his status as a CM. He keeps his status up by working at MGM for a week or two so that he can get CM discounts on tix and things like DQ. talk about an addiction feeding an addiction! I always wanted to go with him, nbut im not certified, and i would hate to leave my wife behind (she cant swim very well, and is afraid to learn more than just the doggie paddle)

I am jealous of you guys.