Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Tips on Tips in the Ask The Experts forums; What would you suggest is the normal amount you should tip? As i,ve never been to the States I'm totally clueless on what is acceptable. As I'm from the UK ...
    rictoon is offline A-Ticket holder

Tips on Tips

What would you suggest is the normal amount you should tip?
    As i,ve never been to the States I'm totally clueless on what is acceptable.
    As I'm from the UK tipping is not something we do on a regular basis and with the prices being so expensive in WDW do the staff there still expect to be tipped.
    I don't mind tipping for good service but not for poor.
    One Life,Live It

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    A typical tip (haha) is anywhere from 10-20% of the price of your meal before tax. A simple way I've found is mulitply the sale's tax, which here in Florida is 7%, by two or three. That's a good range for the tip. Hope this helps! Have a great time!

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    With a lot of the restaurants at Disney and throughout Orlando they automatically add the tip in because they know that many tourists are not sure how tipping goes. You can always ask them to remove it if the service is poor. They also usually have a little card stuck in with the check that tells you about tipping. I don't know about in other countries but in the US waiters get taxed on what it is assumed they will make in tips. They only get paid a few dollars an hour by the restaurant assuming that it will be made up for in tips.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Here is a tip card you may want to print and bring with you...

http://www.tipping.org/TopPageTipCards.shtml

pearlnecklace71 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I worked in and managed restaurants for several years. What upset me the most was people who tipped me badly when I gave great service. Some people feel that the wages paid by the employer should be enough. That is far from the truth! Its tough to live on $2.50 per hour!

Typically, I leave 15-20% of the total check. If you are in a place that serves alcohol, the server usually has to tip the bartender based on their alcohol sales. That is why I never look at just my food total.

If the server was terrible, brought me the wrong things, forgot my requests, or was just completely miserable (it has happened!), I tip about 10-15% of the total check. If the food is terrible, I let the server know. I shouldn't reflect that in their tip since they didn't prepare it. I am sure to tell the server and the manager if it isn't right.
    When dining at Disney, I make sure I let the manager know when I receive excellent service. I will often times ask for a comment card if one is not provided. It makes them feel appreciated and lets them know that they are indeed contributing to the Magical experience we all have come to expect from Disney.

I did this the last time we were at 1900 Park Fare because the hostess was just so wonderful! When I handed her this comment card and thanked her for making our day, she cried! "My guests...they make me so happy! That's why I do this for so long! I love my job and I love my guests!" And her guests love her too!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraTheGreat
    With a lot of the restaurants at Disney and throughout Orlando they automatically add the tip in because they know that many tourists are not sure how tipping goes.

I've never noticed them automatically adding the tip in UNLESS the party was larger, usually 8+ people. Then they usually state that in the menus. The sad part is with larger parties I have noticed a decline in service in WDW.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTink918
    A typical tip (haha) is anywhere from 10-20% of the price of your meal before tax. A simple way I've found is mulitply the sale's tax, which here in Florida is 7%, by two or three. That's a good range for the tip. Hope this helps! Have a great time!

Thats exactly what I do...the tax rate in Baton Rouge is 9% so I always just multiply the tax to figure out the tip.

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    I guess I probably did usually go in giant groups to restaurants. I usually had fantastic service even in giant groups. This was especially nice because we were also CMs and I heard horror stories of the treatment other CMs got in restaurants. I think a lot of the time the restaurants knew we were more likely to play along as a large group of CMs especially at places like the Prime Time Cafe and Whispering Canyon. I do think they automatically add tip to the shows like Hoop-de-doo Review and the Luau as well as character dining. I might still be wrong though.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I have an odd tipping system, but it really works for me. I start every wait-person at 20%. I tell them up front, that all I expect is the food items we order, and tea refills-I do not want an empty tea glass. Now that the ground rule is established, I enjoy my experience. If the restuarant is really busy, I take that and the table load of the server into account. I deduct for wait-person ***** ups, and empty tea glasses. We had such poor service at a chain rest., that I actually asked the manager if the place was on Punk'd or Candid Camera, to see how much people would put up with, I did leave the poor girl at tip-find a new line of work, plus $10. Out of pity.

Baggage handlers should get $2-$2.50 per bag or $10. if you have a whole luggage trolley. Doorpersons (off property) $3.00 and a couple of dollars a day for the poor maid who must deal with the least glamourous aspects of hotel guests. I learn the name of maid for my room and leave her $20.00 at the end of my stay, I also strip the beds, stack all of the dirty towels, sack all of the rubbish and try not to leave too big of a mess otherwise. I have done this job and you would not believe some of the things people will do-gross, gross, gross.

Hope this helps.