Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Short notice, but I've got a couple ?s... in the Ask The Experts forums; I'm going to Magic Kingdom Tomorrow for a multi-purpose trip. first of all, it's been a rough week at school and i'm going to blow off some steam. but more ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Short notice, but I've got a couple ?s...

I'm going to Magic Kingdom Tomorrow for a multi-purpose trip. first of all, it's been a rough week at school and i'm going to blow off some steam. but more importantly, i am making it sort of a research trip. MK is my favorite park, and i take great pride in being as familiar with it as possible. but no matter how many times i go, there is always stuff i haven't gotten a chance to do or try (like the Liberty Square Riverboat for example... I keep wanting to do that, but it's been under refurbishment for a while now, and I noticed that the MK website has it closed still!... gah!) So tomorrow seems like a great day to go do some research, considering the park is open from 9 to 11, and i don't have any friends tagging along to play tourguide to.

But looking forward at such a long day at the park, it brings up my first question. Does anyone know what Disney's policy is on bringing food into the park? I couldn't find anything on their site. If I'm gonig to spend 15 hours at MK tomorrow, I'm going to need to eat more than once, but I don't really have the cash to justify two $10 meals. Will they let me bring in a sandwhich and a water bottle or something? If not, what's the cheapest place I can get a legitimate sized meal? $9 for a burger and coke at Cosmic Rays just isn't gonna work on my budget more than once a day.

2nd question... I found a website (http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/) which lists all sorts of neat things about the parks and entertainers and shows and such. One of the things I spotted there was something called the "Kiss Goodnight", which I'd heard of before, but never witnessed. The times list 12am, 12:30am, and 1am. The park closes at 11 tomorrow, so obviously the 12:30 and 1am shows are not going to happen, but does anyone know if I hang around on Main Street or something for an hour, will they do the "Kiss Goodnight" at 12am?

I may just have to ask someone about the "Kiss Goodnight" thing when I get there, but the food thing would be good to know before I leave the apartment tomorrow morning so I know if I should make a PB&J or something. Sorry for giving you guys so little time. I know I made this one a little difficult on myself to get an answer with such short notice, but I didn't know they were going to be open that late until just about an hour ago! Pleasant suprise, but it messes up the planning a bit! Thanks a lot folks! I'll say hi to for ya!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    The parks frown upon bringing your own food, but if you put it in a bag they really don't care. When my brother and I were little, my mom always made sandwiches abd brought them into the park, but that was before they had bag checks.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Thanks Hill(o/ary... whichever it is you most prefer to be called)

I'm hitting the road in about 15 mins now, so I guess I'm going to skip out on making a sandwich this time. I'll see if I can ask someone while I'm there and see if I can't get some definite answers for the next time I go. Thanks again! I'll say hi to the mouse for ya!
    -Don-

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    This is probably a little too late for you, but maybe you can read it on your return.

You can bring food and beverages into the park. Disney says that you can't, but we always have. What's funny is that we always receive compliments from the security guards checking our bags. When they see that we have a mini-cooler full of gogurt, sandwiches, frozen water bottles, etc.... they always comment on how smart we are for planning ahead. What Disney does not want you to do is wheel in a 40 gallon cooler on wheels and have a full blown picnic on the castle lawn. Anything you can fit into your backpack, is considered fine. We always go in with a stroller and have a mini-cooler with "blue ice" and drinks, and a backpack full of snacks and food. We have never, never, never been questioned in all of our trips and visits.

At an extra cost ($5 plus $2 deposit), you can rent a locker for the day. The locker is approximately 18" x 24" and can accommodate most small/medium soft-sided coolers or backpacks. I would suggest a soft-sided cooler instead of a hard-sided one because you can't be sure if it will fit.

Maybe this can help with a future visit.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

Since you want see this post until you get back, I hope you had a good trip and found out what you needed to know.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    That's a GREAT tip, DoaD! Especially for people with kids who need to "nosh" on something throughout the day!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks guys... next time I'm packing a lunch, and not waiting an extra 35 minutes for a show that never seems to happen. About the food... I stretched my resources. Ate breakfast at like 6:30 before i left, then waited until between lunch and dinner hours to eat lunch (no lines if you eat around 3:30-4), and then just managed with water fountains to keep something cool and wet in me until i got home just a few mins ago. i've got a frozen pizza in the oven now... I'm famished!!!!

As for Kiss Goodnight... it seems to be a secret so well kept that none of the cast can seem to give me any solid info about. apparently it does exist, but nobody has any info on it such as when it is or which days its done. my best guess is it's seasonal, probably done during the summer when the park is open til 12 (based on the times listed on Steve's website). So if you can't get any solid info on it before hand, don't bother waiting for it. Chances are it wont happen. I've waited for it twice now and haven't seen it yet.

But thanks for the advice guys, especially DoaD for that tip. I've got all the supplies but a soft cooler. But even that will be cheaper than a dinner at the park. Thanks again!
    -Don-

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    You are in Connecticut and you go to Disney World for a day? I would love to be in your shoes to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by SoupBone
    You are in Connecticut and you go to Disney World for a day? I would love to be in your shoes to do that...
    CT is my home. I was born and raised there. My family lives there, and it is my permanent residence as of right now. But i go to school in Florida, and have an apartment there, just an hour and twenty minutes from WDW. I live in FL for about 7 months out of the year, hence my frequent day trips and season pass.

It is kinda funny though how many people I have question that CT/Florida thing...
    -Don-

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    From my understanding, the kiss goodnight is when the castle is changing colors as they have people leacing the park. That is what was explained to me anyway.
    Glad you had a good time!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    From my understanding, the kiss goodnight is when the castle is changing colors as they have people leacing the park. That is what was explained to me anyway.
    ...But the castle is changing colors constantly at night. As soon as it gets dark, the lights on the castle begin to change its color continuously. (I think they do that just so you have to keep taking pictures!)

I'd heard that it (the Kiss Goodnight) was a light show or something done on the castle, and then sometimes, on a "rare occassion"... as it was explained to me last night by a former MK CM who I met while waiting for Spectro, characters came out to bid goodnight. But she too seemed to know little to nothing about it.

I've heard about the Kiss Goodnight now from three different sources, two of which have told me there either are or may be characters involved, and all three have said that there is definitely a light show. I've tried to watch it now twice, with no luck. I just want to see something!!!
    -Don-

I think something about the Kiss Goodnight is on the Your Best WDW Secret Thread,

I found it...
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...&page=18&pp=15
    - Hillary