Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss WDW for Teens or Families with Teens by a Teen WDW Expert in the Ask The Experts forums; If anyone has a question about what teens should do on their vacation I am here to help. I am your new "unofficial" WDW Teen Expert. If you have a ...
    WDWScottieBoy is offline Finally moved to Orlando!

WDW for Teens or Families with Teens by a Teen WDW Expert

If anyone has a question about what teens should do on their vacation I am here to help. I am your new "unofficial" WDW Teen Expert. If you have a question and don't know what to do with your teen son/daughter during your vacation, or you yourself are a teen going down to WDW, feel free to post, PM, IM or email me. I am here for anything you need to know.
    *SCOTT*

UNOFFICIAL WDW TEEN EXPERT!

SAC5286 on AIM (I'm always on and willing to talk)

DWTs very own Disney Commercial Star

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    First have fun in disney. Whats your favorite ride

I just got back from WDW last night, had a blast! I don't know what my favorite ride is because I love them all so much. I got to go on Space Mountain first thing Saturday morning with about a 2 minute wait or so. We rarely had any waits, usually 20 minutes at the most.
    *SCOTT*

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    where did you stay?

I stayed at Pop Century, 1980's building.
    *SCOTT*

LaBretonne2002 is offline E-Ticket Holder

Teen help

My son is 11 but very mature for his age. What would you recommend we do the day we arrive? Any character dining that is great for that age group? Also, what resort would you recommend? What should I bring for him on the trip that I might not think of? Also, what restaurants are good and what travel book would you recommend? This will be his 1st time in the USA and WDW and riding a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBretonne2002
    My son is 11 but very mature for his age. What would you recommend we do the day we arrive? Any character dining that is great for that age group? Also, what resort would you recommend? What should I bring for him on the trip that I might not think of? Also, what restaurants are good and what travel book would you recommend? This will be his 1st time in the USA and WDW and riding a plane.
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you on this one. I have always loved Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort for a character breakfast. It's a perfect way to start your vacation. Get a PS early, I'd say around 7:30 or so. Their food selections is excellent and the food itself is very good. After you're done eating, take the monorail over to the MK for the opening ceremony. Check the dates of your trip as to what hours the parks are operating though.

For a resort recommendation, it depends on how much you're willing to spend, how much time you plan on spending in the resort and how much room you'd like. Atmosphere is key to the resorts, so that will help some. I personally love Port Orleans Riverside and the Grand Floridian. POR is an excellent choice for anyone at any age. I find the theming at the value resorts to be nice, but it almost gives me a sense of something cheap. I stayed at Pop Century this past trip and thought it was just alright. It's not somewhere I'd want to stay at again, but it worked.

What to bring...? A CD player with some of his favorite CDs to listen to if he wants something while walking around the parks. Snacks, water things of that nature are usually a good idea. Make sure to take Lou's book. There's a Hidden Mickey book out that might be fun for you as it will give you something to do while waiting in line and/or walking around the parks. (Don't forget the ponchos, sunglasses and sunscreen either!)

For restaurants, there are so many, it all depends on what type of food you'd like and the price range.

For the book, I only get Birnbaum's Official Guide to WDW (they also have one for kids) because it is, well, official. They have great information and I buy the book every year, even if I'm not going.
    *SCOTT*

iamdaisyduck is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Great advice, Scottie!! I'm sending a link to this thread to my cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by iamdaisyduck
    Great advice, Scottie!! I'm sending a link to this thread to my cousins!!
    Thanks for sharing this site with them! If they have any questions, tell them to join and ask me, as I check this once a day at least. I love helping others out and Disney is what I know best.

Also, if anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask as I'd love to help one and all!

Scott
    *SCOTT*

I just got back Saturday night and am ready for more questions. Come one, come all...I'm ready to help!
    *SCOTT*

Bump it up!
    *SCOTT*

msladybugzz is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi Scott! Thanks for offering up your advice!
    I was a cast member at MK (Space Mtn) i the mid 80s and miss it so much! My family is FINALLY going on vacation to Disney for a full week this summer. We've been overseas for several years as my husband is in the USAF. Anyway... We'll be a party of 5 (M, D, and 17, 16, 13 yo girls) what is the best hotel to stay in for independent teens that will accommodate all of us. We need a value resort if getting adjacent rooms (worried about long bus waits!) or should we get one bigger room in a moderate or deluxe resort. What resort/s have the most things for teens to do? We'll have the dining plan so where should we eat? Thanks again!