Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Advice for first timers in the Ask The Experts forums; First of all can I just thank you for a fantastic site that really builds up the excitement for our forth coming holiday of a life time.Just reading the threads ...
    rictoon is offline A-Ticket holder

Advice for first timers

First of all can I just thank you for a fantastic site that really builds up the excitement for our forth coming holiday of a life time.Just reading the threads makes the anticipation of visiting the most magical place on earth almost unbearable.I suppose the build up to a holiday is part of the magic.
    We arrive in WDW on 9/2/06 for 2 weeks and would like any advice that would enhance our enjoyment of WDW.We are travelling to the USA from Northumberland in England and are visiting the USA for the first time.Any tips bring them on.
    One Life,Live It

I think that this would be a great thread for Rich (trickster) to respond to since he has visited the US (specifically WDW) from the UK before. I will PM him a link to this thread.

If you have any specific questions that I may be able to help with I would be more than happy to!!!!! Happy planning!! It's half the fun!

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    really the only advice i have is to decide what you absolutely must do...also you can make seating reservations early which helps to plan our your days(it gives you kind of a time frame)..once you have an idea of what you want to see you can plan out your day from there...read and do some research...this site is great and will most likely answer all your questions..have fun planning!!
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

AimeeBelle is offline D-Ticket Holder
    My suggestion, is don't get too bogged down with keeping to a tight schedule, and rushing from one attraction to the next. Some of the best stuff at WDW is watching the excitement around you, the colors, the sights, the music, etc.

February is a nice time to be in Florida . .. not to hot . . .

Have a great time!!!

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    I think that this would be a great thread for Rich (trickster) to respond to since he has visited the US (specifically WDW) from the UK before. I will PM him a link to this thread.

If you have any specific questions that I may be able to help with I would be more than happy to!!!!! Happy planning!! It's half the fun!

Hello and welcome to the DWT family!!!

Melissa showed me this thread and I will post some helpful tips for you - just not tonight as it is 10.39pm and time for bed soon!!!

Best wishes,

Rich.
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

DisneyManiac is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by rictoon
    First of all can I just thank you for a fantastic site that really builds up the excitement for our forth coming holiday of a life time.Just reading the threads makes the anticipation of visiting the most magical place on earth almost unbearable.I suppose the build up to a holiday is part of the magic.
    We arrive in WDW on 9/2/06 for 2 weeks and would like any advice that would enhance our enjoyment of WDW.We are travelling to the USA from Northumberland in England and are visiting the USA for the first time.Any tips bring them on.
    Oh, rictoon, what a wonderful time of year to be going to Disney. The rugrats are back in school and the hot temperatures are beginning to go down...and TWO WEEKS. GAAH! I'm so jealous.

First off, buy your park tickets online. They're a lot cheaper. And if you're going for two weeks, I suggest at least a 5-day Park Hopper. There's 4 parks and so much to see...in my opinion, you only need a day for MGM, a day for MK, two days for Epcot, and skip Animal Kingdom; not worth it. Get to the parks early, leave at lunch for a nap, and go back in the evening.

GET A RENTAL CAR. Although Disney has great transportation, you may be waiting a long long time for buses or monorails. Try them out a few times just for the experience...but get a car. Also, you may want to go into Kissimmee for dinner or to Wal-Mart or something, and you can't do this if you don't have a car.

DO NOT MISS THE NIGHTTIME SHOWS. You must see the "Wishes" fireworks and the "Spectromagic" parade at the Magic Kingdom, "Fantasmic!" at MGM Studios, and without a doubt, "Illuminations: Reflections of Earth" at Epcot. (If you want the soundtrack to Illuminations after you see it - everyone does - go to the Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney; they carry it.)

The minute you arrive, make dining reservations. I recommend Cinderella's Royal Table in the Magic Kingdom, which is inside Cinderella Castle, just for the experience. Also try any of the International restaurants at Epcot (Japan's Miyako is my favorite), and I never miss teatime at the Grand Floridian's Garden View Lounge. The Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is good, too, and has great waiters. If you have little ones, they'll love the Pony Express.

Rides. Use FastPasses as much as possible. If you can't do that, use the Single Rider lanes (in Epcot, anyhow). You might not sit with your family, but you'll get through the lines a heck of a lot quicker.

That's all I can think of right now; I'll probably think of something later. Enjoy!!!
    Loyal patron of the World since 1972

rictoon is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks Disneymaniac for the advice.We got a hire car as part of the holiday and purchased a 14 day park hopper ticket so all that is taken care of.

We have noticed that the second week of our holiday coincides with Presidents Day.I assume that the parks will be a lot busier this week so we will enjoy the rides and attractions the first week then soak up the atmosphere the second.
    Staying in Pop century and I have read that the transportation system is very good from this resort to the various parks.
    Eating may bring its problems as DD7 suffers from food allergies but I guess we'll be in the right place for accomodating such conditions.
    She will find out on Xmas morning that Mickey Mouse has managed to bring the holiday forward a year as she thinks we are not going until 2007.You'll probably hear the screams in America.
    Finally may I wish anyone who is reading this thread a very merry Xmas and a happy new year.
    One Life,Live It

Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Congrats on the wonderful vacation. I would like to pass on a couple of tidbits if I could. First off read about restaurants you are intersted in and call now! Do not wait to arrive to make your reservations. Remember the ones you find interesting and would like to eat in most other guests will also find interesting. Call now and lock in your spot. Also when you make your reservations let them know of any food allergies you have so it can be taken care of. That way when you arrive you will not have to worry about it as much.
    And please do not skip any parks and do not try to see any of the parks in one day. You may ride a fun roller coaster but miss out on something truly magical. In other words please stop and smell the roses. I have always compared Disney World with a really rich chocolate sundae. If you try to eat it too fast it will give you one heck of a headache. But take your time and enjoy it, and there is nothing better. If you have any specific questions please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you. I am actually a cast member and can give you some good advice w/o ruining the magic.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    rictoon, let me give you a few tips and secrets for your trip across the pond!

- us "yanks" have the right of way, to everything. always yeild

- don't refer to yourself as English, English is what we speak, not what you speak (you speak the Queen's English, which we don't understand), we consider you British.

- no Benny Hill references, we don't understand it over here

- any "yank" you meet should be referred to as "His Lord and Master", and yes, the women too.

- when you have the opportunity, you should apologize for the years of unfair taxation and opression placed upon us when you were in control of the colonies.

- if you haven't figured it out by now, i'm the resident crank yanker, don't take what i say too seriously, no one else does.

however, i do have one honest and serious suggestion. if you are of legal age, 21 here in the States, we usually like to go to EPCOT to get our drink on, then hop over to The World to enjoy it to its fullest!

Benny wishes you a Proper Crimbo........whatever that means, just trying to relate.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Your DD is going to love it at WDW....most of the restaurants will accomadate you with the allergy thing as long as you call in advance...make an itinerary but dont kill yourself running from place to place...POP Cent is fun to stay at-the DD will love the run thru fountain between the 60's and 70's buildings and if you are like my BF you will like the sportscar right next to it-tho you may have to dogde some small kids to get to it..lol get a tour book,,,the Official guide and Unofficial guide are both great. Presuming by what you posted as a date and the Pres day reference you are going in Feburary? That threw me at first because we switch the dates when we write them here exp...9/2 is Sept. 2nd and 2/9 is Feb. 9th....Not having ever been down at that time but from posts on here and freinds and relatives that go during that time, crowds are not too bad till after the middle or end of the month. Most important like the others have metioned dont try to do it all in one day. If you can try to hit some of the resorts for meals(make reservs now) We loved Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge and Cinderella's Dinner at the 1900 Park Fare restaurant in the Grand Floridian were 2 we tried and loved them both...have a almost 3 yr old DD (we went in Sept) and she loved the attention Cindy gave her.
    I will be sure to put in my earplugs just let us know the time difference so we can be ready...lol
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    The first time at WDW is truly overwhelming (the sights, sounds, smells, etc.); plus President's Week at WDW is now one of the most crowded times to visit--if not the busiest.

My best advice to you is to take as many pictures as you can to refresh your memory once you return home. Also, try to hit all the "E-ticket" rides and attractions at least once and then enjoy the other rides and attractions at your leisure. If you are going to be at WDW each day for 2 weeks you should be able to see and do everything.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Please don't miss out on any of the parks, especially Animal Kingdom. You have two weeks. You'll have the time to take it all in. You haven't said whether you've ever been to Disneyland Paris. We were there in October. It's more compact than WDW, but it has the basics. We like to spend the morning in one park, go back to the hotel to regroup, and then go back to another park in the afternoon or evening. Preferred seating is a great way to get into the restaraunts that peek your interest and preferred seating also often gives you preferred seating for evening events. Most cast members are very accomodating and if you let them know you're needs they will try to help you - as with the food allergies. We've been in the parks over President's weekend. It's a little busier than before and after, but far better than December or July. Get a good view for parades early, but make sure you're not in a reserved area for wheelchairs or vips. You don't want to have to move after staking out your spot. Ask a cast member if you're not sure. Good walking shoes are a must. Patience is a necessity. Smile; you will be where the rest of us only wish we were. My newest favorites are Soarin' and Talking Crush from Finding Nemo- both in EPCOT.
    Last edited by mini-V; 01-08-2006 at 05:41 PM.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.