Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Contemporary + Monorails in the Ask The Experts forums; I never stayed in there before, but after riding through on a monorail this past weekend, I could imagine the sweet aroma of diesel exhaust fall over me as I ...
    Tampa is offline No longer in service

Contemporary + Monorails

I never stayed in there before, but after riding through on a monorail this past weekend, I could imagine the sweet aroma of diesel exhaust fall over me as I cut into my mickey shaped butter and spread it onto my soot covered, mickey shaped waffle. Good times!

Rancid as my imagination has it?

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I thought the monorails were electric. Am I wrong?
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

AlecTronic is offline Fear The Ears
    Yes, you are correct. All the monorails are electric. Have you ever seen those "High Voltage" signs under the monorail tracks?

They have Diesel backup engines that seemed to be operating over the weekend.

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    You know, i wouldnt think about the soot in the pancakes, but i would think about the rattling at night, or the day if you sleep then. That would be more annoying to me. Soot is a good syrup!
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    there are diesiel tugs that can be used to move the monorails if the power fails, but they don't have onboard diesel motors, the excess vibration and noise you picked up while on board the monorail that reminded you of an engine may have been the air conditioning, or perhaps there is some other explanation I am missing. As to the point about vibration in the contemporary, that is the precise reason the monorsils slow down so much before entering. I've gotta say I'd love to be standing in the contempoary if they ever did do another vibration test and see what one of those things coming through there at normal speeed looks and sounds like.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

must be the older versions I'm thinking of.. ****ers were louder than usual though this weekend.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Well, I can tell you this, don't walk under them when it is raining and you are wearing a white shirt!!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

SnwhtNdwrfs is online now Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Added fiber?

I never really thought about this before but I probablly would now.

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    Well, I can tell you this, don't walk under them when it is raining and you are wearing a white shirt!!!!
    NEVER wear a white shirt in the rain period! lol.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

AimeeBelle is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I've never "stayed" at the Contemporary, but go there every trip for pin trading. They don't make enought noise to drown out the pintraders right below them, so I'd imagine that you wouldn't hear them in your room either.
    Aimee

marni1971 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Reminds of the story of an early monorail test NOT slowing down on the gradient from the T&TC... and keeping on going into the Contemporary.

Or the one blasting the airhorn on the concourse..

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Diesel or electric, the real issue is you guys have managed to ruin Joey's joke.

(If you're game though, get a gang of friends on one monorail car, and as the train slows on the approach into the Contemporary, panic and declare that they've got you caught in a tractor beam. It's priceless if one of your group can do the Chewbacca growl.)
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

tjcoolgirl15 is offline I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner!
    We stayed there once and everyone but me managed to get sick so they stayed in bed most of the time, but never complained of noticing any difference when the monorail was going in/out.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!
    Prince Charming, will you marry me?
    I saw on TV that listening to Mozart makes you smart. So if you listen to Elvis, you'll become a GENIUS!

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    (If you're game though, get a gang of friends on one monorail car, and as the train slows on the approach into the Contemporary, panic and declare that they've got you caught in a tractor beam. It's priceless if one of your group can do the Chewbacca growl.)
    LOLOLOL!!!
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast