Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Death in Disney? A reader question in the Ask The Experts forums; Here is another question from a visitor and my reply posted here for comments, etc. From: Nick Z. msg: I've read no one dies at WDW, but I am sure ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Death in Disney? A reader question

Here is another question from a visitor and my reply posted here for comments, etc.

msg: I've read no one dies at WDW, but I am sure they get sick and die somewhere. How many get sick and die somewhere around WDW?

REPLY:
    Hello Nick, and thank you for the email.

It has been a long-standing legend that no one ever "dies" on WDW property. As far as getting sick is concerned - that's not really true (you can often find some people "losing their lunch" outside Mission: Space)!

As for the dying on property, people have in fact died while on attractions, in hotels, and other locations from things like heart attacks, etc. However, Disney will not confirm or deny the rumor that people are no t pronounced dead until after they are taken off property. Stories of CPR being administered to clearly dead guests have floated around for years. So, the story came about not as to whether anyone ever died on property, but was actually declared dead.

However, this story is in fact false. For example, a plane crashed into the EPCOT parking lot in 1984, where one person was pronounced dead at the scene, with two others once they arrived at the hospital. Additionally, Cast Members have been killed on-site, including a woman who died at America Sings in Disneyland. Plus, the recent Big Thunder Mountain Railroad death of a man brought national attention.

So, although Disney (for PR purposes) might like to say that no one ever dies on property (or at least makes the stuff of good legend), it is actually false.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    People are bound to die every so often, where millions congregate. (Not to sound morbid or anything along those lines). But the care from Reedy Creek Emergency Services (the ambulance people) and nearby Celebration Hospital are both excellent, from what I've seen (and heard).

Here is a good article from the Snopes Urban Legend Reference Pages

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    People are bound to die every so often, where millions congregate. (Not to sound morbid or anything along those lines). But the care from Reedy Creek Emergency Services (the ambulance people) and nearby Celebration Hospital are both excellent, from what I've seen (and heard).

Here is a good article from the Snopes Urban Legend Reference Pages
    Thanks for the link to the excellent article. Did not know about only having unmarked emergency vehicles in the parks. Also, never heard about the man that allegedly committed suicide at Epcot Center.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius