Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss How do you start a WDW website? in the Ask The Experts forums; Lou, I was wondering how you go about starting a WDW website? What does it cost (I hope that is not too personal.)? How about the forums? The forums look ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

How do you start a WDW website?

Lou, I was wondering how you go about starting a WDW website? What does it cost (I hope that is not too personal.)? How about the forums? The forums look like some others I have seen as far as format, but of course not content. How are moderators selected, etc.? I could go on, but I will let you decide what is pertinent. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Just, to let you know I am not thinking about starting a website.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Jiminy,

Sorry for the late reply to your post...

Well, in order to start a Disney-related web site, the things you really need are dedication and passion about the subject matter, as well as time. For me, it started with the book, as a means to promote it, but having visited and been a participant in a number of other forums, I wanted it to be much more.

To be honest, I wanted my board to also distinguish itself from the others, not only insofar as content was concerned, but the community itself. I am a member on maybe 5-6 other boards, and have often found (especially on some of the larger ones) that not only was the site quite "clique-ie", but not always welcoming to new members ("outsiders"). Additionally, I was quite unhappy with how people, including and sometimes especially moderators and even board owners, reacted to seemingly innocuous statements.
    I knew that when I decided to undertake putting together my own community, that similar behavior, etc. was not going to be found there. What has happened since then is that we have developed an incredibly friendly, welcoming community here of people that just want to share their love of WDW, etc. No debates about politics, no nonsensical banter about sensitive issues, etc - just a place to come and have fun, learn some new things, and even make new friends. And so far, that's exactly what we have. Other members have even told me how they enjoy that aspect of the site, and are beginning to "migrate" from their usual haunts.

As far as cost is concered, here are some of the things you will need to be aware of:
    • Site design (if you don't do it yourself)
    • Site hosting (can range from a few dollars a month to a few hundred, depending on requirements. However, if you get busy, bandwidth ccosts can add up quite quickly
    • Forum software - some is free, but the software I use (after reviewing about 4-5 others), is relatively inexpensive (about $90 or so)
    • Photo Gallery software - again, there are some free, open source versions, but PhotoPost works well with the forums software and the support is excellent. Figure around $200
    • Addtional features - varies in cost
    Again, the big thing is time and content. Once you get a site design, you have to populate it with conent that interests people. (Not forgetting about making it easy to navigate, fast loading, search engine friendly, among other things, etc.).

Then, you also have to spend a great deal of time just setting everything up (e.g. forums, databases, photo galleries, content, links, downloads, etc.). Be aware, this is no small undertaking. You must have a lot of time... as well as patience.

Once you get a site running, it's not over either... in fact, it's just begun. You have to maintain a site, especially with forums. (Sites that involve large databases such as this require a commitment to keeping them running properly.

Selecting moderators is up to the forum Administrator. Some people volunteer, while others can be asked based on their frequency of visits, number of posts, etc.

I'll expand on this some more... but I have to run...

Hope that helps!!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Jiminy,

Sorry for the late reply to your post...

Well, in order to start a Disney-related web site, the things you really need are dedication and passion about the subject matter, as well as time. For me, it started with the book, as a means to promote it, but having visited and been a participant in a number of other forums, I wanted it to be much more.

To be honest, I wanted my board to also distinguish itself from the others, not only insofar as content was concerned, but the community itself. I am a member on maybe 5-6 other boards, and have often found (especially on some of the larger ones) that not only was the site quite "clique-ie", but not always welcoming to new members ("outsiders"). Additionally, I was quite unhappy with how people, including and sometimes especially moderators and even board owners, reacted to seemingly innocuous statements.
    I knew that when I decided to undertake putting together my own community, that similar behavior, etc. was not going to be found there. What has happened since then is that we have developed an incredibly friendly, welcoming community here of people that just want to share their love of WDW, etc. No debates about politics, no nonsensical banter about sensitive issues, etc - just a place to come and have fun, learn some new things, and even make new friends. And so far, that's exactly what we have. Other members have even told me how they enjoy that aspect of the site, and are beginning to "migrate" from their usual haunts.

As far as cost is concered, here are some of the things you will need to be aware of:
    • Site design (if you don't do it yourself)
    • Site hosting (can range from a few dollars a month to a few hundred, depending on requirements. However, if you get busy, bandwidth ccosts can add up quite quickly
    • Forum software - some is free, but the software I use (after reviewing about 4-5 others), is relatively inexpensive (about $90 or so)
    • Photo Gallery software - again, there are some free, open source versions, but PhotoPost works well with the forums software and the support is excellent. Figure around $200
    • Addtional features - varies in cost
    Again, the big thing is time and content. Once you get a site design, you have to populate it with conent that interests people. (Not forgetting about making it easy to navigate, fast loading, search engine friendly, among other things, etc.).

Then, you also have to spend a great deal of time just setting everything up (e.g. forums, databases, photo galleries, content, links, downloads, etc.). Be aware, this is no small undertaking. You must have a lot of time... as well as patience.

Once you get a site running, it's not over either... in fact, it's just begun. You have to maintain a site, especially with forums. (Sites that involve large databases such as this require a commitment to keeping them running properly.

Selecting moderators is up to the forum Administrator. Some people volunteer, while others can be asked based on their frequency of visits, number of posts, etc.

I'll expand on this some more... but I have to run...

Hope that helps!!!
    Prego. Hopefully, you can continue later.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Jiminy,

One thing that I need to add is this:

The site, and more importantly, your forums, are only as successful as the members who participate.

For DisneyWorldTrivia.com, I feel that we have a great group of members, and for that reason, I feel the site is not only becoming more popular, but truly a "success". It is tha tmeasure of success that makes me believe that we are well on our way to becoming one of the finest communities and Disney sites on the net.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42