Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Questions about Odyssey building in the Ask The Experts forums; I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but the description of this board seems to fit the best. We have only been going to WDW since 1998. At that ...
    Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder

Questions about Odyssey building

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but the description of this board seems to fit the best.

We have only been going to WDW since 1998. At that time, the building in EPCOT labeled as "Odyssey" (between Test Track & Mexico) has been sitting idle. It is a beautiful location, with the walkways through the pond areas.

Three questions:

What was the original use of the building? It looks like it might have been a restaurant, and a very nice one at that.

When did it close?

Why has Disney not done something with this wonderful piece of real estate?

Thanks...those questions have been bugging me for several years and I keep forgetting to ask!
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    1) Yes, it was a restaurant.

It was open at the opening of the park in 1982 through 1995 (or 96, depending on who you ask).
    It served Lunch and dinner through 1985, then lunch only through 1992. For the next two and a half or three years it was only open seasonally (peak crowds) for lunch. [People started spending less time in Future World, and concentrating on it in the morning. By lunch and dinner, they were well into World Showcase]

Disney uses the space for special events - conventions in the park, as well as for the Food and Wine festival. In addition, the Epcot Cast Cafeteria just happens to be located in the building in the back.

Probably there's not too much demand for another restaurant in the area, and it's financially not worth operating most of the year (unfortunately).

sam

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 15 seconds.

Oh, the food was general Burger-type fare, with an occasional character show through the day. It was the second Burger-type quick service location in Future World. (The bigger one being Stargate Restaurant in CommuniCore East).

First aid, baby care, and a whole LOT of restrooms are located there, too.

Thanks, Sam!

I can see that EPCOT might not need another restaurant, with all the options in WS and the Electric Umbrella near Innoventions.

But it is such a prime location that it would seem that Disney would want to do something there rather than leave it vacant most of the year. I knew the first aid, restrooms and baby station were there, but I was thinking something more permanent....maybe an exhibit?

Walt had so many dreams and discussions for his vision of EPCOT, I would think it would be worthy of its own exhibit that could be housed there. And even though today's EPCOT is a far cry from Walt's dream, I think it still embodies the overall sense of a world community meshing together.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure Disney won't leave it vacant forever!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    I just can't picture what this building looks like. I guess I have walked past it several dozen times without noticing. Will make a point of checking it out when we are there in September.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Here's a photo and here's another.

Hope this helps.

Nice pix there Sam.

And they just reinforce what a wonderful setting this mostly empty building has. I'm sure that somebody has plans for it...nobody likes to see a "vacant lot" in a nice neighborhood!

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    it used to have awesome key lime and chocolate cream pies.... my kids an DH loved them...
    my son still asks if they have them anywhere else

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    Here's a photo and here's another.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks! What was I thinking? I must have had a "senior moment." I have eaten there many times. Didn't realize it was closed now.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Not my pixtures.

(just managed to find them on the net, I mean)

iamdaisyduck is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Is it true they are going to tear down this building and add a new nation here or is that just a rumor?

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdaisyduck
    Is it true they are going to tear down this building and add a new nation here or is that just a rumor?
    I would guess that this ir a rumor, this building has a rather unique construction compared to most of the other buildings in Epcot and it may add enough of a layer of complexity to changing it's use over to something else that it may keep it in it's current state for a long time. you see it is built on a "muck hole" a piece of swamp impossible to do normal construction on consequently a large number of pilings were sunk a couple of hunded feet and it is those pilings that the building and its attractive, adjacent, walkways are sitting on.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Well, it IS Disney And if anyone can do it, they can

I mean, you could, in theory, sink more pilings. Or remove things from the top of existing pilings and build anew.

But it IS Disney. So I agree with Brian's post