Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Was Islands of Adventure's Dueling Dragons Disney-created? in the Ask The Experts forums; I just read this morning on another thread that Dueling Dragons, the duel-inverted steel coasters featured at Islands of Adventure's Lost Continent was originally a Disney-designed attraction intended for DAK's ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Was Islands of Adventure's Dueling Dragons Disney-created?

I just read this morning on another thread that Dueling Dragons, the duel-inverted steel coasters featured at Islands of Adventure's Lost Continent was originally a Disney-designed attraction intended for DAK's proposed Beastly Kingdom. Since this morning I've tried to do a little background reading, on this site and a handful of others, and have found plenty to back up the claim, including rumors of hidden mickey's and such inside the DD queue, and the fact that the DAK logo includes a picture of a dragon, but it seems that all of my sources so far have been message boards and forums. I'm just curious if any of this is fact, or just Disney urban ledgend or whatnot.

I'm really hoping this is true, because it would give me an edge on an ongoing Disney vs. universal debate i've been having with a former roommate now for quite some time. I've always agreed with him that IoA has better thrill rides than Disney, but I've always argued that the themeing at US and IoA can't even begin to scratch the surface of what Disney does with its parks. He has always come back with a defensive comment like "Well, what about Dueling Dragons? That has probably the best themed queue I've ever seen!", and to that I've had to agree that it is quite good... even by Disney standards. But to learn now that DD was designed by Disney Imagineering, that takes all the amunition out of his best defensive argument!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    You might try this article: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=428 about the early plans for Beastly Kingdom at DAK. It talks about a Dragon Tower coaster, but I don't think it's the same as IOA's ride.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    That don't seem like the type of coaster Disney would build and if they did why give the plants to someone else.

tiggerguy is online now As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    From what I have heard it (Dueling Dragons) was designed by people who were laid off by Imaginearing
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Ok, well... assuming that article Pat shared with us is completely accurate, we can at least agree on the fact that there was indeed a dragon-themed coaster planned. And from everything i've read (including brian's post just prior to this), there is some disagreement as to whether or not DD is the same or nearly the same coaster (it depends on the source, apparently), but it seems pretty commonly agreed upon that it was in fact designed by imagineers (or at least... former imagineers.) Either way, it still works for me in my debate with my friend... it was still designed by imagineers.

But what about the rumors of Hidden Mickey's inside the queue? Has anyone heard anything about them? I've heard plenty of people say they exist, but I've seen no proof of any. I think that would seal the deal for sure if I could find one.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...