Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Is Chicken Soup lying to me in the Ask The Experts forums; I am not sure about this one meaning I could be wrong. I was reading Chicken Soup for the Soul at Work and on pg 192 and 193 I read ...
    DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder

Is Chicken Soup lying to me

I am not sure about this one meaning I could be wrong. I was reading Chicken Soup for the Soul at Work and on pg 192 and 193 I read a good story about an employee who helped add fireflies to the Disneyland Pirates of the Carribbean ride in Disneyland when Walt Disney was wondering what was missing towards the end of developement. Though in a documentary on the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD I belive they say that Walt Disney died the same day that the attraction vehicles started moving or something like that.So these two stories seem inconsistent because according to the documentary Walt Disney would have been dead before any finishing touches. So if there is any way that you could shed light on this oddity I would be most appreciative.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    According to Jason Surrell, in his amazing book "Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies", Imagineer Tony Baxter, then an ice-cream scooper at DL, rode the incomplete PotC ride on the day of Walt Disney's death. At that time, none of the AA figures were inside, so the ride was no where near ready for guests. The boats first sailed on Halloween of 1966, Walt died December 15, 1966, PotC soft-opened on March 18, 1967 and had its official opening April 19th of that year.

PotC was extensively modeled and mocked-up before construction, and Walt Disney did 'ride through' these models and test sets. Also, the Blue Bayou restaurant was virtually ready to be opened in the summer of 1966, but Walt felt that it shouldn't be open until the PotC was running (again, per Jason Surrell's book). So he could have directed adding fireflies from that viewpoint, but I can't confirm it.

Hope that helps!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for that. I did see that in the book which is in fact a great book. Im still gonna be a little suspicious though