Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss cm jobs in the Ask The Experts forums; after my spectacular trip spaceship clover and i started thinking and we're ready to move, we've been wanting to move someplace new for awhile and find something we really love ...
    figment'smoose is offline E-Ticket Holder

cm jobs

after my spectacular trip spaceship clover and i started thinking and we're ready to move, we've been wanting to move someplace new for awhile and find something we really love to do. it never occurred to us that WDW would be the place. but we had such a great time with awesome cast members and we want to be a part of it.

so what are the chances of getting jobs at WDW (not as characters)? anyone know, are we pinning our dreams on something unattainable or easily achieved?

(i know, it means the piercings go, but i've already taken all but one in my ear out and i'm ready for the mouse)

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    Easy!!! Walk in to casting, say hi I want a job, and they'll find you one. It's really just about that easy.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    (407) 828-1000, option 1! And if you know any friendly CMs, get their referral information - they can get a little cash bonus for being a "Casting Scout.."

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    You lead the way! I'll be right behind you in 2008. Good luck!
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

robo85045 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I SOO wish my parents would think like that... They agreed that we need to move but they seem to refuse that posibility... That means I have to wait at least 4 more years until I can get a job and move down there... Urg, the future is too slow!
    The hardest task of all is believing in yourself, for who knows all your faults and shortcomings better?

Two tiny wings, eyes big and yellow
    Horns of a steer, what a loveable fellow
    From head to tail, a royal purple pigmant
    and then, WaLaa! you've got a Figmant!

Aspiring to be Cast Member for WDW. See any non-Disney behaviour from me? Point it out!

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    I really am considering the WDWCP or the Internship thing. I really like the sound of it. It's either that or NYU or Northwestern
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

esigsby is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Last edited by esigsby; 02-14-2007 at 05:52 PM.

While I'm a big fan of the WDWCP, it's not an either/or with the CP and college. You want to fit the CP into your education - that's the most important thing. And if you can't fit the college program in, well, maybe you can just work over a summer, or afterwards.. But school first!!! (IMHO, of course)

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Lol, yeah I know. (looks at previous post). Wow, it looks like I treat the WDWCP as an actual college. No, I know it's not. I just finished watching the WDWCP e-presentation. Quite neat. I almost forgot that Disney Company owns the provider of my 2 favorite TV shows (Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy)
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Pirate_Queen is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Just how hard is it to be a character? (Not a giant costume) I've always wanted to work as Ariel at either of the parks. Heck, just working at WDW or DL would make my millenium! But to be in the parades and sign autographs would make my dreams come true! Isn't that what Disney's all about?

"To all that come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_Queen
    Just how hard is it to be a character? (Not a giant costume) I've always wanted to work as Ariel at either of the parks. Heck, just working at WDW or DL would make my millenium! But to be in the parades and sign autographs would make my dreams come true! Isn't that what Disney's all about?
    How could you "work" as Ariel? she already has the "job"... that'd be like me saying i wanted to work as the Pirate_queen...

Magic spoiler below-

Seriously though... I was a Friend of Goofy after I completed the CP back in 1997. Since i am over six foot, it was pretty easy to pass auditions... they cut me a lot of slack on the dance parts (yes, you have to pass a professional dance audtion to be a charachter, even if you wont be dancing in a show) and you have to do a pantomime exercise, which i had NO problem with, i have a great imagination. tallies and shorties have little problems getting in.

now, face charachters are a different situation entirely. the guidlines are VERY strict, ive even heard of them getting a ruler out to measure distances between facial features for some of the charcters. dont worry about not having the right hair or eye color though, all characters wear wigs, even if your hair color matches that of the character, and most wear colored contacts. even if you look EXACTLY like what they are looking for, dont be discouraged if you dont get in, most face CM's rise from inside the ranks of the Friends of the other charchters.

(by the way.. when a CM is referred to as a "Friend of" a charachter, that means they are a full costume <or "fur"> character. I was a Friend of Goofy and a Friend of the Queen of Hearts. yes, the QoH is usually a guy!)
    Last edited by BryanFykes; 03-25-2006 at 01:40 PM. Reason: add space before spoiler
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

Cameo is offline And the voila... you've got a Figment!
    Riding my tricycle around the parking lot
    Here's my question about being a cast member... if you're part time help how flexible is Disney with your schedule? I moved to Orlando about 9 months ago and although my job certainly pays the bills, I'd love to have a little extra spending money. Between trips home and friends and family visiting me down here though, I can't commit to every weekend. Do you get to tell them when you are available, or do they set your schedule and it's too bad if you already have plans? I've been thinking about going for a job since I got here, but this scheduling this has been the one thing really holding me back.
    ~Sarah~

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

"Tom Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Roofus is offline A-Ticket holder
    A couple of questions for current/former CMs. Does being behind the scenes all the time and knowing what really happens spoil the magic at all? Also, is it actually possible to make a real living as in supporting a family while working as a CM in the park?
    -Tommy-

Roofus, that depends on the individual person - for me, it made the magic even more real. I was able to actually make it. (Although now that I've had that "high", there's no comparison to being "on stage" and part of the show - though visiting the parks is still loads of fun).

Perhaps it depends on your role. Perhaps it depends on your Leaders. But no matter what, you have to be able to take bad days and experiences and shrug them off, use them as impetus to make even more magic.

As to the question of whether it is possible to support a family - I'd guess that working as a front-line CM, it might be a little difficult. The benefits are pretty darn good, though.

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    I was able to actually make it. (Although now that I've had that "high", there's no comparison to being "on stage" and part of the show - though visiting the parks is still loads of fun).
    Quoted for truth! I was a College programmer, just like Sam here. Just like him, being on stage was a high!!! (i was never able to put the feeling to words. Thanks Sam) it was a rush, and i only made snowcones. for me, the rush came from the fact that knew that it was only for a short period of time, and i had been dreaming of working at WDW since i was 12 years old. for a few years, i would go back during spring break and a few other weeks and work for a few days to stay connected to the magic.

one of the best things for me is knowing how everything works, and having folks ask about the "hows" and "whys" and being able to truly say....

Magic!!!

I very rarely discuss major secrets. its fun to watch people try to figgure out how to ask you a question in such a way that i will tell them the secret they want. my favorite is when folks ask me how many Mickey's there are. the answer is one. no one will ever get me to say that there is more than one main Mouse!!!

Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast