Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Are summer crowds really that bad??!! in the Ask The Experts forums; I went last year to WDW for the first time since i was 5. I think i might have been spoiled since we went in the first week of May, ...
    dcbush12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am from Ohio....far far from Disney World

Question Are summer crowds really that bad??!!

I went last year to WDW for the first time since i was 5. I think i might have been spoiled since we went in the first week of May, because it really didnt seem to overwhelmingly crowded. Now I am going on June 12th for a week, right after Star Wars days thing, and right before 4th of July week. So my question is......are the crowds really gonna be THAT bad?

Depends on what you mean by "crowded". We usually go at least once a year in June. We will actually be there from the 8th until the 17th this year. I wouldn't compare the crowds in June to the crowds let's say in March, but none the less, you need to expect long lines and tons of people.

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    They can be. It depends on which groups we have in house and where they are deciding to play on any certain day. After Star Wars Weekends is good and definately before 4th of July is good. The parks will most likely fill to capacity (at least Magic Kingdom) on the 4th. Anyway to truely answer your question, you SHOULD (possibly, possibly not) be fine with crowds.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

DisneyManiac is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yes, the crowds are terrible in summer, especially around July 4. I made this mistake one time. I went to MK, and my nose was in the person's shoulder blades before me...we were jammed in like sheep, and the park was closed by 10:00 because it was at full capacity. Traffic was a nightmare - everyone from Orlando was coming in to see the fireworks that night. Disney made a lot of money, and I learned a big lesson.

Close to Christmas (after the 15th or 16th) is also crazy. There are so many friggin' baby strollers in MK that you might as well not try even walking...I really miss the Skyway!
    Loyal patron of the World since 1972

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Given a choice between being at WDW in June or July and not going at all, I'd go. Be prepared for long lines, tired guests, and not being able to see as much as you could during non-peak times. In the 1980's we made the fatal mistake of going to Orlando for the 4th of July. I swore EVERYONE was there. Years later, I actually met someone who was there that same time. I was told by a cast member that July 4th and Christmas are THE peak periods for crowds. Have a great time and enjoy the magic as best you can.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    Only go if you have no option and plan ahead. Be prepared for people to hit you with scooters, wheelchairs, strollers, packages and backpacks.

A major problem at ALL the parks, even non-Disney is luggage. It used to be mom took a big purse and maybe a diaper bag. Now a days you see families with as much luggage as a person traveling to a far off land for 6 weeks. One of the saddest moments for me at DLR was getting off of Alice in Wonderland. A very large lady sat with her daughter in the seat in front of me in the same car. She had a purse, luggage, video case and camera. Through the whole ride the kid was petrified as mom was filming away. The woman walked off the ride and left her kid behind. Eventually the kid exitted and got her fingers smashed in a turnstile.

If you must go you should try to have someone running for fast passes. Eat at off hours and outside the parks. There will be long waits for everything including bathrooms. The weather can cause people to do weird things. My last trip was in September when it drizzled all day light rain drops. People blocked entrances and exits just to get out of the rain. There is nothing like a holiday in the park and there are usually special amenities to compensate for the crowds BUT is it worth the pain and suffering?

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    haha take advantage of the extra magic hours, esp at night. That is when people with "crazy strollers" and "cranky kids" go home and the park is a bit quieter than the morning and afternoons.

And yes, it is worth the crowds...after all, its Disney World!

ps i am going 4th of july wkend...and imma love it
    The Goofy Princess

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    I'd heard nothing but horror stories...but I went with Melissa on a SATURDAY (gasp!) at MK, and, yes, it was BUSY, but crowded? I wouldn't really say so. Granted, we had a lot of fast passes, but even the lines weren't that long. It could have been a fluke, or we could have been lucky, but the way I see it, "a bad day at Disney is better than a great day anywhere else!"

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    1 word - YES!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    What about August? Does it get any better then?
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by tasha36
    What about August? Does it get any better then?

It is still VERY busy (and hot) in August. Our past two August trips the general wait time for Splash Mountain stand by line was 90-120 minutes.

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    Best times:

Fall
    Winter (except the holidays)
    Spring
    Summer (it depends when, during the week day can be good)

AnnF is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Now I'm starting to get worried, how is the last week of August. I'm going Aug 27-Sept2. Is it crowded then?

~Ann
    My Blog
    Join Disney Swaps
    1991-offsite; 1995-Ft.Wilderness; 1998-offsite; 2001-Grosvenor; 06/2001-offsite; 12/01-offsite; 12/02 offsite; 06/03 offsite;12/03 offsite; 12/05-ASMu; 8/06 Pop;*Upcoming 12/06 Pop;03/07 offsite*

Quote Originally Posted by AnnF
    Now I'm starting to get worried, how is the last week of August. I'm going Aug 27-Sept2. Is it crowded then?

Ann...do you not live in the US???? That is Labor Day Weekend and basically the last traditional week of Summer. A lot of the Northern Schools do not go back to school until after Labor Day so it will probably be pretty busy still.

AnnF is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    Ann...do you not live in the US???? That is Labor Day Weekend and basically the last traditional week of Summer. A lot of the Northern Schools do not go back to school until after Labor Day so it will probably be pretty busy still.
    No, I live in Georgia. Schools here will have been back for 2 weeks already, I thought maybe summer vacationing might be done for kids up north, and It was my birthday. We're leaving the parks on the friday. going to the beach that Saturday.

~Ann
    My Blog
    Join Disney Swaps
    1991-offsite; 1995-Ft.Wilderness; 1998-offsite; 2001-Grosvenor; 06/2001-offsite; 12/01-offsite; 12/02 offsite; 06/03 offsite;12/03 offsite; 12/05-ASMu; 8/06 Pop;*Upcoming 12/06 Pop;03/07 offsite*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast