Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Backstage Magic Tour in the Ask The Experts forums; Can anyone give me an in-depth report of their Backstage Magic tour? I'm hoping to go either next year or in 2008 and would love to take this tour. If ...
    disneylover87 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Question Backstage Magic Tour

Can anyone give me an in-depth report of their Backstage Magic tour? I'm hoping to go either next year or in 2008 and would love to take this tour. If you don't want to post it on here you can private message me! Or if you don't have a report, do you have any information about where you go on the tour? I've heard about going behind the scenes at Fantasmic, what's that like?!

Thanks!
    All you need is Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust!

robo85045 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    It was great! took a day away from the parks but it was fun!

you start out outside the entrance to Epcot (there is a sign on a pole announcing a tour group meeting place), once the group arrives your tour guide greets you and everyone has a round of "what is your name, location, and the job you would like the most at Disney World". Then you enter the park, and exit thought a cast member path to the right just after you get to the far side of Spaceship Earth. there you curve around and enter a buss that takes you along the back road around Epcot. You get interesting info along the way, and make a stop near the American Adventure show (this is early in the morning, so World Showcase is not open yet). There the tour guide explains the concept of 'forced perspective', and takes you behind the building and shows how a late design change added a long addition to the back of the building (they were originally going to have the projector behind the audience, but they realised that this would cause shadows from the animatronics, so it was switched to a rear-projector, requiring a large addition to the rear of the building). You go inside and are shown the giant rack that hold all the animatronic figures, and more interesting info follows. Then you exit and continue on around Epcot till you get to the cast member area. There is a short tour of the building along with a restroom stop. (btw see if you can spot the saxophone-playing character from the old 'Food Rocks' show there, its up on display on the opiset door from the tailor area, door might be closed though... Also remember that you are not allowed to take pictures during the tour, the murals painted by the cast members are really hard to resist getting a photo of...). Anyway, you board the bus again, more info as you continue the rest of the way, then its off to the flower shop (not where you buy flowers, where the flowers are arranged). You see the flower arrangement areas, and also the preperation room, with some very rare ribben that would fetch a pritty penny on ebay or any collectors site
    after that its a trip to the.... place... word failure... place where they make the rides, animatronics, et al. Fun place, when we went we got to talk to the primary animatronic machanics, and they even had a tiki bird set up for us to fool with! (they had 'betty' from the twice removed cousin of Soarin' named Kitchen Kabiret, or somthing similar... but anyway, that animatronic wasnt working, so they had a temporary tiki bird set up instead). After that, its off to the magic kingdom! Utiladoors, ahoy! get a short walkthrough the tunnles and get some generic info to the theme of Utiladoors, and then its back to the 2nd story to watch the parade (but with some info on how the parade floats are kept track of first... you will probably get some strange looks from people who are wondering what your group is doing there stairing at your feet in a circle as the parade floats are getting closer and closer to you...)

kinda disjointed, but thats generaly it!

Im not shure about fantasmic, we never went to MGM on the tour, and anyway its probably much to hectic and cramped to let tours enter...

edit:
    oh ya, you get a special pin at the end of the tour
    Last edited by robo85045; 04-06-2006 at 07:25 PM.
    The hardest task of all is believing in yourself, for who knows all your faults and shortcomings better?

Two tiny wings, eyes big and yellow
    Horns of a steer, what a loveable fellow
    From head to tail, a royal purple pigmant
    and then, WaLaa! you've got a Figmant!

Aspiring to be Cast Member for WDW. See any non-Disney behaviour from me? Point it out!

disneylover87 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for the report, it sounds great. I can't wait to go!!
    All you need is Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust!

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    robo85045,

Does Backstage Magic only go to Epcot and MK now? When I went on the tour back in 1999) we went to Epcot, Disney/MGM and MK. The tour was almost 8 hours long!

I'm not going again, but I am curious how extensive it is now.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    www.allearsnet.com has info on the tour
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Not much of a review, but I went a few years ago and absolutely LOVED it! The Disney geek in me was in full force, as we got to tour Central Shops, the Utilidors, the computer core, costuming and so many more areas. I didn't mind the fact it was almost 8 hours, and actually wished it could have gone on longer! Highly recommended!!! I will definitely do it again!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42