Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Need some expert advice for WDW in the Ask The Experts forums; Hello All...I stumbled across this site over the weekend looking for WDW secrets and tips and spent hours reading the "your best WDW secret" thread and all the great personalities ...
    Falamazar is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Need some expert advice for WDW

Hello All...I stumbled across this site over the weekend looking for WDW secrets and tips and spent hours reading the "your best WDW secret" thread and all the great personalities that participated, but the thread seems to have dried up, so I decided to seek all your wisdom on my own thread. I'm a veteran Disney goer, but this will be the FIRST time taking my, will be 3 yr old AND her grandparents to WDW for a week....

So, any help you can provide about:

The Wilderness Resort
    Character Breakfasts (wanna do one for her Bday, the first day there)
    I LOOOOOVE the rollercoasters BUT, what will be good for a 3yr old
    Grandparents....push them in what direction
    Is the boat from Wilderness to DW the best way to get there

And anyother hints, tips, inside secrets would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Disney life exp:
    Disneyland once a year from age 4-12...the happiest place on earth...lived 30 minutes away.
    Disneyland 83(NYE)-86-87-89
    1993-moved to FLA
    Disneyworld/MGM 1995-97-98-00
    Disneyworld/Yacht Club 2001 x2
    MGM 2002
    MGM/Epcot/Caribbean Resort 2005
    Wilderness 7/06
    All-Star Music 11/06
    Animal Kingdom 2/07
    Old Key West 6/07

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Hi there! First let me welcome you to the boards! I'm sure you'll find many people here more than willing to help you along your way as you prepare for your trip!

I know you must be excited about your first trip with your little one & the grandparents! I've never stayed at the Wilderness, but have eaten there for dinner (at the Whispering Canyon). Very fun place to eat dinner- even for kids!
    For her b-day meal, I'd suggest a princess breakfast. I'd also go ahead & book it now. They tend to fill up rather quickly. There is the Cinderella buffet in MK with Cindy & her friends (which mostly are made up of the mice I beleive). There is also the Princess breakfast at Norway (I believe) in Epcot. There are different princesses in there. (Jasmine, Snow White, Belle). You'll have to take what you know of your daughter & who she loves to decide where to venture. I'm sure some others here have eaten at each of these places & would love to give their input as well!
    The grandparents: It really depends on how old they are, if they've ever been there before & their health to determine how much they can/should do. Also, when you're going may play into the plans. I'm sure they want to watch their grand daughter enjoy the magic for the first time, so let them go at their own pace. They may want to take her on buzz light year while you hit space mountain. This type of pay off can work close to any coaster.
    I hope I've helped a little. If you have any more questions, just ask, i'm sure you'll be getting lots of responses.
    Can't wait to hear how your trip turns out!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Falamazar

Enjoy the site and have fun here

umm. answers to questions

The Wildnerness Lodge is beautiful. We didnt stay there but did eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe--SOOO MUCH FUN A DEFINATE MUST DO. (there are a few threads on it. Search is at the top right)

Dont know much about character breakfasts. Which one would depend on which characters y'all like. We did a character meal last thing so as not to overwhelm ours with the one on one contact. This is a good tip if your child is not used to giant stuffed walking things. Gives them a chance to get used to them. This worked out great for my DD and she wasnt as shy with Cinderella as she would have been otherwise.

Height of kids depend on what coasters they go on---3 years should do Goofy;s Barnstormer with no prob. My then 2 1/2 year old rode it in Sept of 05. Most of the coasters are a little intense for a 3 year old anyway so the height requirement is a good thing. You can always do a baby swap or leave the kiddo with ohters who are not riding. www.allearsnet.com has a list of height requirements along with lots of other great info.

How adventuresome and what health restrictions to the grandrents have is your determining factor for their fun. You will all enjoy the sit down shows so that is something you can do together

I am not sure about the time for the boat to and from Wilderness Lodge to the Magic Kingdom(MK is what you meant right?) Try CRO(central reservations for WDW) they may be able to tell you.

I think I got them all....WHEW! LOL
    General info from my brain..............
    WDW is huge, dont try to do it all in one trip-pick out the things that interest you the most then do those extra things. By all means get their planning video(or DVD) and whatever guide books you can pick up. Have the grands check off what they would like and you do the same then compare lists.

Have fun on your trip. SEE YA AROUND THE BOARDS. Dont forget about chat.
    Last edited by vixen101485; 04-18-2006 at 12:17 PM.

My first response....sweeeeeeeeeeet...THX Summer...actually, I was just reading how you don't like astro blaster . Fia LOVES Cinderella and we have seen it SOOOOOOOOO many times now , so we sorta figured on the Cinderella castle, but Chef Mickey was HIGHLY recommended....sooooo

And, yes, there was a method to our madness when we invited the Grandparents...built in baby sitter ...jk....it will be there first time also...so...should be interesting, but they aren't very old and can easily keep up with Fia.

Disney life exp:
    Disneyland once a year from age 4-12...the happiest place on earth...lived 30 minutes away.
    1993-moved to FLA
    MGM 2002
    Wilderness 7/06
    All-Star Music 11/06
    Animal Kingdom 2/07
    Old Key West 6/07

Thx Vixen!! The rollercoaster comment was for me and the wife...Fia likes them, but still working on the small ones, so I'll have to check out Barnstomer's...she would get a kick outta that!! We have the DVD...watch it atleast everyother day...Fia says...wanna see disneyworld...getting tired of it...but, it keeps her pumped. Fia does well with big characters....took her to the Barney show at Univ. and she walked right up and hugged him....NOT SHY!!

Disney life exp:
    1993-moved to FLA
    MGM 2002
    Wilderness 7/06
    All-Star Music 11/06
    Animal Kingdom 2/07
    Old Key West 6/07

to the DWT Family!

How exciting to be planning your first trip with your little one! It will be the best time of your life. Seeing WDW through your childs eyes for the first time is something you will never forget!!!!!

Being that you are only about 2 1/2 months out from your trip you will probably have trouble getting into Cinderella's Royal Table for a character meal, although they do now offer the character meals both at breakfast and lunch. It will be all of the princesses (except Ariel) and also includes Mary Poppins, so it is Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Belle and you can also meet the Fairy Godmother in the waiting area.

I would highly recommend Chef Mickey's for a wonderful birthday celebration character dinner. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Chip & Dale are there and it is one big party and lots of fun, the food is very good as well. Chef Mickey's is located at the Contemporary so it's an easy trip from the MK by monorail or even a short little walk if you prefer.

What ever you decide, be sure to call ahead ASAP and get ADR's (Advanced Dinner Reservations) made.

Something else fun that I would suggest would to try the Family Magic Tour at the Magic Kingdom. We did it for our Son's 5th birthday last June and it was a blast and very reasonably priced. It's about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour tour that is more like a scavenger hunt where you will find yourself skipping and singing your way through the Magic Kingdom with a tour guide with a very special surprise character meet and greet at the end which I would be happy to fill you in on if you would like to hear more about it.

Also be sure to pick up a birthday pin from guest services for your Daughter when you arrive at the park for the day. We even had special tshirts for all of us to wear to mark the special occassion!!!! Parker received all kinds of extra special attention throughout the day when CM's would notice!

Looks like Vix and Summer have helped you out on your other questions. We took our oldest his first time when he was 2 1/2 and now at the ripe old age of 5 is getting prepared for his fifth trip. Our youngest took his first trip last June at 8 months and I am really looking forward to seeing the changes in him and his reactions when we return there in June. If you have any other kid questions I'd be happy to help out, you can either post them here or send me a PM.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!!!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    to the boards, Falamazar!

Breakfast at the Castle 2 1/2 months prior? You probably need your own Fairy Godmother to snag that reservation - most of the time it is booked within 5 minutes 180 days prior. You would probably have better luck with getting the Princess Breakfast in Norway at Epcot at this point. Chef Mickey's is a lot of fun and good food, but also pretty noisy and could be an overwhelming start to her day and may not be the best first encounter with the Mice and friends. Norway's meal is all face characters (Princesses), not as frightening when she discovers they are over 5 feet tall.

Another princess meal option is Cinderella's Gala Feast at the Grand Floridian resort. It's only at dinner, but includes Cinderella, Fairy Godmother, Prince Charming, and the mice.

The boats from Wilderness Lodge to MK supposedly run about every 20 minutes. It's a pleasant ride. You can also take a bus. If you drive, you'll have to park over at the Ticket & Transportation Center and take a monorail or ferry across the lagoon to the park.

Have a wonderful trip!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    Welcome to the Boards....The Wilderness Lodge is a great place to stay, especially when travelling with young children. When I stayed there I was about 10 and my sister 5. The food court has everything a kid could want to eat especially if they're picky. The building reminded me of a log cabin so it was real cool to stay there. The pool is fabulous and it has a very fun water slide and there is a nearby beach on a lagoon. Horseback riding is available through the Fort Wilderness Campground and you can find other activities like boat rentals and fishing.
    15 Trips in 20 Years!!

Port Orleans Contemporary Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Wilderness Lodge
    Boardwalk Yacht and Beach Polynesian
    All Star Movies

Can't Get Enough:

THX for the reply dreamer98!!! Esp the tip about the Bday button...didn't know that and will be checking it out!! Is this at any of the parks guest services or just MK??

With the character breakfasts...is it better the book an early one, or late?? I've heard to book it late, so there aren't as many people there and your sorta having an early lunch/late break and can enjoy time in the park first??

Disney life exp:
    1993-moved to FLA
    MGM 2002
    Wilderness 7/06
    All-Star Music 11/06
    Animal Kingdom 2/07
    Old Key West 6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Falamazar
    THX for the reply dreamer98!!! Esp the tip about the Bday button...didn't know that and will be checking it out!! Is this at any of the parks guest services or just MK??

With the character breakfasts...is it better the book an early one, or late?? I've heard to book it late, so there aren't as many people there and your sorta having an early lunch/late break and can enjoy time in the park first??

You can get a birthday button at all of the parks. The button at MGM and MK are the same. DAK and Epcot each have their own. During our Son's birthday week celebration we picked up a pin at each of the parks.

To be honest with you....we do not usually do the breakfasts. We are the type who grab a breakfast bar and some fruit snacks on the way out the door and usually sit down for a nice big lunch or dinner during the day. All of the character meals are either served family style or buffet so you get plenty of food to fill you up.

I guess it depends on the family. You can do breakfast either first thing (character breakfasts that are inside of the parks usually start before official park opening so you would already be inside the gates when the ropes drop), or schedule it for later and kind of use it as a brunch to alleviate purchasing 3 meals a day.

Another wonderful character meal (experience) for little ones is Crystal Palace in the MK. It is with Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner for the character meals there. It is always on our must do list for our trips! We usually do lunch there!

THX for the reply Dame2004!!! We will only take a bus or boat once we get to Disney...the Car will stay parked and locked. So going from the Wilderness, is it better to take the bus or boat?? Less crowded?? I'm sure the boat is a more pleasant ride, but does it take longer?? Just trying to figure the smoothest way to get a 3yr old and GP to and from the MK. I know going to AK, the bus is the only option.

Didn't know about the character BF at Norway? What kind of insight can you share on that??

Disney life exp:
    1993-moved to FLA
    MGM 2002
    Wilderness 7/06
    All-Star Music 11/06
    Animal Kingdom 2/07
    Old Key West 6/07

Falamzar you can get a lot of great information at allearsnet like Vixen recomended for height requirements for the ride. If you click on this link....it will take you directly to a listing of all the character meals at the parks. We've never done the Norway Princess breakfast ourselves, although my Parents have with my Brother's family and they were not impressed. From the reviews I've heard people either love it or hate it! Not much help....

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/cb.htm

O...O....O...completely forgot to include on the first post...BAD son-in-law taking a back seat, but still going along for the ride is it's also Nana's Bday, so any suggestions for a nice sit down dinner that I can treat her and Papa to??

Also, Pal Mickey :mickey:...worth the $70...skip it?? Seems like a fun idea...BUT...any thoughts??

Disney life exp:
    1993-moved to FLA
    MGM 2002
    Wilderness 7/06
    All-Star Music 11/06
    Animal Kingdom 2/07
    Old Key West 6/07

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    The boats from the Wilderness Lodge run in a loop that also includes the campground and they can be crowded depending on which way they are going... Lodge, Campground, Mk or campground, lodge, Mk. That said they are usualy still more on schedual than the busses, and fewer choices too. Boats either run the MK route or the the Contemporary, Ususally the biggger boat goes to MK. Busses will get you to almost anywhere at WDW so you have to always double check.
    Maggie

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    The Disney Imagineers are releasing park by park The Imagineers Field Guide to Magic Kindom, Epcot etc. etc.

These books are great for background info on attractions and overall design of the park. I also bought the Hidden Mickey Guide which gives you hints on where to look for some neat Hidden Mickeys. For me these were great enhancements on my usual theme park experience and cheaper than My Pal Mickey. In your case though with a young child it might be more fun to have a Mickey Mouse talking guide and I've only heard good things about it. I like to have a Hidden Mickey challenge with my family whenever we head down and that is just as fun for me as the guided tour by My Pal Mickey, just something you can try.
    15 Trips in 20 Years!!

Port Orleans Contemporary Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Wilderness Lodge
    Boardwalk Yacht and Beach Polynesian
    All Star Movies

Can't Get Enough:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast