Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Advice for (hopefully) upcoming trip in the Ask The Experts forums; We are wanting to go to Disney in October and we were sure we could go until we found out how much the rooms were going to be. We thought ...
    hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again

Advice for (hopefully) upcoming trip

We are wanting to go to Disney in October and we were sure we could go until we found out how much the rooms were going to be. We thought the Value rooms would be $77 and that October was the off season, but Oct. is the regular season and costs $99a night. It is usually 4 people going, but my brother got engaged and wants to take his fiance who has never been to WDW. Since she will be going, we need 2 rooms. That would be $198 a night, or we can stay at Port Orleans-Riverside in 1 room for $185 a night. I know that having 2 rooms would be more convenient (especially having an extra shower) and cozy, but this is a chance to stay in a nicer resort. The only thing that I know is better at the Value resorts is that more buses go to there. Our only other choice is getting one room at an off property hotel, but we would miss out on EMH, buses, etc. What advice can you all give me?

My next question is about Soarin'. I always thought it looked pretty tame, but I saw where those with back problems and other health issues should not ride. Would my grandmother, who doesn't ride any thrill rides and will not ride HM, and/or my mom, who has minor back problems, be able to ride?

My last question is, What are the best shops in Epcot? We usually don't spend a lot of time in Epcot, but this year we are hoping to spend another day in the parks and I would like to know what more we could do in Epcot. I know we won't have time to look in most of the shops, so I wanted to hear the favorites of DWT members.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I loved Port Orleans-Riverside. Our room had the "extra" bed but it was very small. If you feel you must stay on property, I would probably try to do the two rooms but I do know that you can survive at PO-R if you are only going to sleep there. The atmosphere is very nice and your brother and fiance could find some very romantic spots there (they might want to check into the carriage rides).

Soarin' was wonderful and I have minor neck issues. It is not jerky or anything. It is pretty tame, in my opinion. I don't consider it a thrill ride and is smoother than HM.

As far as shops, I just spend time in each of the World Showcase countries. Their shops are very interesting and fun. My two favorites are Germany and England.

Have fun and I hope this might help. I know there are others with their opinions so Good Luck making your decision!

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    My favorites for shopping are Italy, Mexico, and Japan. Italy has gorgeous jewelry and baubles, the ambience in Mexico is hard to beat, and I could spend hours in Japan playing with the cool toys, looking at the tea sets, and oh the pearls! I selected my own oyster and I got a big pink pearl last time! They beat the drum!

KUNGALOOSH!!!

Hil, did you check into the cost of one of the suites at All Star Music for that time of year. It would basically give you two bathrooms, two rooms and a little kitchen area which might work out nice for you.

Soarin' is a very smooth and non jerky ride. Your Mom should be perfectly fine on it. My Mom is not a thrill ride person at all and Soarin' is her favorite. One hint though.....when you get to Epcot go directly to Soarin' and get a FP then if the standby line isn't too long at that point go ahead and ride it right away. It may not be as bad in October...but during our summer trips the FP's are usually all given out for the day by 1 PM if not earlier and the stand by lines for it get VERY long.

Oooooo....shops at Epcot, so many of them are my favorites! I love the shops in Germany and Norway. China is a lot of fun to look for and probably has the most inexpensive things to buy. You can get some real treasures there! Make sure you try all the little bakeries and candy shops along the way. It's always interesting to try little snacks from around the world. Kringla Og Bakery in Norway is one of my favorites...gotta try the sweet pretzel!

Do you know yet when in October you guys might be going???? Still trying to talk hubby into another trip this year and it will be in October!

Thanks for all the advice. I got Worms in Dirt at the bakery in Norway during our last visit (Oct. 2004). I will keep the sweet pretzel in mind. I was really wanting to try Der Teddybar and Volkskunst.

I checked on the suites at the All-Stars. They were $212 a night. I didn't realize it had 2 bathrooms. Right after I posted this I saw my mom looking at our Birnbaum book and she decided to go ahead and make reservations and we could change it later. They offered the suite to her and when she mentioned that she would want the 2 bathrooms, they didn't correct her. We were wanting to stay at the All-Star Movies in a Mighty Ducks room. We got a really cheap price on it the last time ($50 a night) and it was only steps away from Melody Hall. All standard view rooms had been booked at the All-Star Movies. We requested the Jazz Inn at Music because they are the closest standard view buildings to Melody Hall. We made resevervations for Oct. 12-17. So we get 4 days in the park instead of our usual 3. I am very excited.

A couple more questions. My brother's fiance is a Kingdom Hearts fan and she wanted to know if there was anywhere to buy KH merchandise. I knew I couldn't remember seeing it. Is there any at the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney? Also, if we have time, maybe the day we get down there, is DD worth going to for a few hours, particularly the World of Disney store?
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Is there any at the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney? Also, if we have time, maybe the day we get down there, is DD worth going to for a few hours, particularly the World of Disney store?Yes there is a World of Disney at Downtown disney... and yes its worth a few hours there's also...

Earl of Sandwhich, Pooh Store, Pin Trading Store, a beach store, Team Mickey, the Christmas store, the disney art store, and all of pleasure island and disney's westside with the Virgin Megastore.

Try going at night after a park or something. The shops are open to 11 and if you go to Epcot, which closes at 9 or to MGM or AK which closes earlier, if you go at night to the stores, you'll have plenty of time and extra long days. :-)

But it's definitely worth a few hours.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Want2BePrincess is offline A-Ticket holder
    I personally don't remember seeing any KH merchandise at the World of Disney, but i would definitely spend a few hours at DD. but IMO, downtown disney is much more crowded on the weekends, especially at night, so i try normally to go on a weekday, or take a break from the park and go midday. hope this helps!

Thank you for your input. I found out today that because of my brother's college schedule, we probably can't come back on that Tuesday. My mom was thinking about knocking off that last day, but I want for days in the parks. I hope I can talk her into changing the dates to Oct. 11-16.
    - Hillary

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    You may want to check the dates for The Food and Wine Festival in Epcot. I know it's about the same time that you will be there because I'll be there from the 16th to the 25th and we plan to attend the Party for the Senses - part of the festival. There are many more food concessions from additional countries in Epcot during the F&WF. There is no additional charge for the Food and Wine Festival, but there is an addtional charge for Party for the Senses. It's a great time to graze your way around the world.

I'm not a big shopper in Epcot, but definitely check out shopping in countries that really interest you. They certainly have some pretty things. England has some great tea that I've not even been able to find in London.

I LOVE DD! The World of Disney and Disney Quest Emporium have just about everything you can think of to wear or for your home. It's definitely worth a few hours of your time. The Christmas store is one of two places in WDW to get your ears embroidered with your name. Basin, the soap store, has some wonderful fragrances. Raglan Road Restaurant is reported to have even better food than The Rose and Crown. Lego has a great display.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    you shouldn't have a problem with soarin' my mom hates thrill rides but is fine on it and loves it.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Mini-V - I have been to Epcot before during the Food and Wine Festival and it will be going on while we are down there. We aren't wine drinkers and didn't try any of the food, but maybe we will this time. I hope we get to go to Downtown Disney.
    - Hillary

Good news! We have changed our reservation to Oct. 11-16, so we still get 4 days in the park. We just finished planning out our trip. I'm glad it's those dates instead of the 12-17, because we want to do the Magic Kingdom on the last day which is now a Sunday compared to a Monday, which I have always heard to be the most crowded day in the MK.
    - Hillary

2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski
    Hi, I don't know if this is in the correct spot but I'll ask my question anyway. Yesterday I was of course on this site and read in one of the forums that someone had dining reserved seating at one of the character places and got in early. My question is I have priority seating (dining reservation) for Liberty Tree Tavern for Thanksgiving dinner at 8 PM (the only available when I called) can my husband and I show up say around 5 PM and try to get in earlier ??? HELP Please.

Susan

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    WTG!!!!

We will be in Florida from the 1st until the 20th OCtober!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    Definitely go to the food and wine festival!

At DD, i dunno if they have too much KH merchandise. But make sure ur wife and your brother's fiance check out BASIN...they will absolutely love it!!!
    The Goofy Princess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast