Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Ohana Question in the Ask The Experts forums; This is probably a stupid question, but that's never stopped me before I heard on the MouseTunes Podcast this week, and also saw on the website, that 'Ohana the restaurant ...
    BklynGirl is offline A-Ticket holder

Ohana Question

This is probably a stupid question, but that's never stopped me before

I heard on the MouseTunes Podcast this week, and also saw on the website, that 'Ohana the restaurant was opened around 1995 (I think that's what you said) - and was another restaurant prior to that.

I always assumed that the name 'Ohana for the restaurant was taken from the Lilo and Stitch movie, which I think came out sometime around 2002?

If the restaurant existed prior to the movie, where did the idea for the name come from? And did the movie use the word 'Ohana as a tie-in to the restaurant?

I guess what I'm asking is - Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Thanks in advance! Love the website & the podcast - can't wait to receive the books!

Robin in Brooklyn

SorcererG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Having eaten there back then I can say that the restaurant was definitely called 'Ohana before Lilo & Stitch came out. Both the restaurant and movie use the term in a similar manner so I guessed that 'Ohana meant family. The wikipedia entry indicates this as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohana

I'd be surprised if the filmmakers didn't know about the restaurant (they are both Disney after all). I was rather surprised, however, at how long it took before Lilo & Stitch showed up at the character breakfast there.

shadesofgreen96 is offline Don't ask me O_o
    Somewhere there in between insanity and crazyness..
    Well , they didn't exactly come up with that word , it was a hawaiin word before Disney - at least I think , but i bet the word ohana is as old as the word aloha
    ~*Shadesofgreen96*~

I believe
    I believe in believing - until my very last minute of truth , I don't give up . even when it will be hard to see it through
    I will go on
    I will go on , no matter what , still dedicated all the way through
    I'll live my dreams the same way I do my life , by taking one step at a time

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    thats why they call you "cousins" when you eat there
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio