Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss New Attractions in the Ask The Experts forums; As a senior citizen and a big fan of WDW, I am sad that all of the new attractions are thrill rides geared for the young. Many of us have ...
    Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

New Attractions

As a senior citizen and a big fan of WDW, I am sad that all of the new attractions are thrill rides geared for the young. Many of us have health problems so we can never visit "Expedition Everest", "Mission Space", Test Track", "Tower of Terror" or "Space Mountain". I don't criticize Disney for adding new thrill rides but why don't they add some attractions for the seniors too? On the contrary, they seem to be demolishing those attractions ("World of Motion", "Horizons" and possibly "Spaceship Earth" and "Carousel of Progress").

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Spaceship Earth is going nowhere, and I seriously doubt CoP will. However, Disney knows where to hit the pockets full of money best, and it just happens to be a younger generation looking for something more. It's sad that gentler rides are going by the wayside, but the newer attractions coming up do not sound very intense (see Nemo at Epcot) either.
    Tina

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Even though Disney is a business, it's major ideal is service, so I highly doubt they will take out all the gentle rides.

Don't worry, there are still lots of gentle rides in Disney's future.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron
    As a senior citizen and a big fan of WDW, I am sad that all of the new attractions are thrill rides geared for the young. Many of us have health problems so we can never visit "Expedition Everest", "Mission Space", Test Track", "Tower of Terror" or "Space Mountain". I don't criticize Disney for adding new thrill rides but why don't they add some attractions for the seniors too? On the contrary, they seem to be demolishing those attractions ("World of Motion", "Horizons" and possibly "Spaceship Earth" and "Carousel of Progress").
    Also, look on the bright side - all the youngsters and thrill seekers head for the new attractions, leaving shorter queues at the gentler rides for the elderly, infirm and those of us just too wussy to go on anything more hair-raising than IASM! LOL!!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I think you are overgeneralizing a bit. Yes, the big rides that get the publicity have been more thrill-oriented, but in recent years Disney has added other attractions that are less intense and refurbished some of the others - Turtle Talk with Crush, Soarin, One Man's Dream, Journey Into Your Imagination, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Pirates, new movie in China, It's a Small World, the upcoming Seas with Nemo and the Laugh Floor Comedy Club.

I really don't think that Space Mountain counts as a new attraction (opened 1975), or Tower of Terror (1994), and neither SSE or CoP are being demolished.

Disney still is catering to all its guests - from the very smallest with Pooh's Playful Spot, to the oldest.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My point was that Disney seems to demolish the gentler, more educational rides (Horizons, World of Motion, Timekeeper, You Have Wings, Capt. EO) yet never demolish the thrill rides (Space Mountain, Tower of Terror). Most of the new attractions that you mention don't sound appealing to me, as my age is 60. I would love to visit the thrill rides but physical restraints exist. Help may be on the way. I read that there are now 2 versions of "Mission Space", the original and another without the "G" force. I hope this is true. I'd love to finally visit "Space Mountain". And yes, I love "Star Tours" and "Countdown to Extinction" ("Dinosaur".

Wow, that's a very wide selection of attractions that don't appeal to you then.

Several factors go into what attractions go and what stays. It's not always about popularity, as was seen by the 20,000 Leagues and Skyway removals. In some cases (for example, World of Motion) it had to do with the attraction's sponsor wanting something new. If You Had Wings lost its sponsor entirely. Horizons, supposedly the building had serious structural problems. Plus, when you think back, Epcot's Future World had virtually nothing BUT slow educational rides. SSE, Horizons, Motion, Imagination, Seas - all omnimovers. Energy was slow moving too. Yes they were educational and interesting and charming, but too many people either didn't want to spend their vacation time/money being educated, or just didn't understand the concept of the park. Epcot needed more variety to survive.

There are also the construction dollars involved. A big coaster or Tower of Terror costs big bucks. They're not going to rip that kind of investment out for a nice little B or C ticket attraction. (Even if that's what it looks like they did with 20K and the Pooh playground)

btw Captain EO was educational?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    btw Captain EO was educational?
    LOL Pat.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    What is one man's dream?
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I'm getting much closer to 60 than I'd like to admit to, but have really enjoyed Turtle Talk with Crush, Soar'n and Mickey's Philharmonic. If you haven't checked them out, you may be in for a surprise. You don't have to be young to visit these attractions, just young at heart.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by alalune042
    What is one man's dream?

It is currently an exhibit at the Disney-MGM Studios. It has a lot of items on how Walt Disney got his start and from his life.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Mouse is offline I'm In Disney!!!
    Cop is still there. Its seasonal. Back on subject. Disney just trys to find a way to turn a buck into millions. They know kids visit their parks more than seniors. They decided to caters more to the young, so they could make more money. Even though they still have fun rides and shows for seniors, like lights motors action.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V
    really enjoyed Turtle Talk with Crush, Soar'n and Mickey's Philharmonic. If you haven't checked them out, you may be in for a surprise. You don't have to be young to visit these attractions, just young at heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    Turtle Talk with Crush, Soarin, One Man's Dream, Journey Into Your Imagination, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Pirates, new movie in China, It's a Small World, the upcoming Seas with Nemo and the Laugh Floor Comedy Club.
    MOUSE

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    lights motors action.
    Thank you, I knew I was forgetting something.

And I thought of a thrill ride that Disney DID close: Body Wars.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)