Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss World of Motion Cars in the Ask The Experts forums; Hello all, Just wondering if anyone has a list of the real cars that were on display at the old World of Motion exibit? I could only figure out that ...
    spitfireal is offline A-Ticket holder

Question World of Motion Cars

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has a list of the real cars that were on display at the old World of Motion exibit? I could only figure out that there were 16 in total.

I am most interested in a Chevrolet 490 that was supposed to be included, what model it was and perhaps where it or any of the other cars went to when W of M was closed.

Thanks,
    Allan

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    Friends Chevrolet Magazine of June 1985 stated, apparently, that only 7 of about 500 to 600 of the Chevrolet 490 with a 3 door option were in existence. The three door had two doors up front and one on the right behind the front seat passenger. It was from 1916.

I found a reference to a LaSalle and a 1955 Chevy Nomad being moved to the MGM park as props. The ride was stripped and parts were spread all over WDW like the chickens went to Goofy's Barnstormer and some characters went to Pirates of the Caribbean.

There was a scene a horse drawn wagon full of produce over turned. In that scene is a an omnibus, several 1916 era cars and an ice wagon. The red car does look like the Chevy 490 to me. That would be the scene you need to check out for more details.
    Last edited by mechurchlady; 08-14-2006 at 07:15 AM.
    Figment and Gurgi; chocolate and coffee; and my family. I like to cook, shop, VMK, ToonTown and sweepstaking. Trivia lover but memory not good enough.

Thanks for the reply!

It is that quote out of the Chevrolet magazine I am trying to clear up. Every 1916 Chevrolet 490 (except the two door roadster) had three doors. There were over 60,000 made. In 1917 they went to 4 doors.

The only way that quote may be correct is if the car is a closed car (permanent roof) instead of the open tourer. At least that's my theory. Hence my desire to see a picture of the W of M car.

Thanks again,
    Allan

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Did you try the World of Motion .wmv file that is in our Downloads section (click on the "downloads" in the menu bar above, it's the last file on page 2)? I can't play it myself (mac user ) but maybe the car you're interested in is shown there?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...QQcmdZViewItem

Your wish is granted. I did not know you wanted the picture.
    I was wrong. The three-door sedan had no driver's door.

Here is the link to the photo of the article.
    http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/f8/4c/e6_3.JPG

Avoid the conceptzcar site. spams and pop ups

They were 4 cylinders with 2 valves per cylinder. They were 3 speed manual.
    Last edited by mechurchlady; 08-14-2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Figment and Gurgi; chocolate and coffee; and my family. I like to cook, shop, VMK, ToonTown and sweepstaking. Trivia lover but memory not good enough.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

That eBay auction is actually what started me on this journey. I have a 1918 Chevrolet 490 myself so I know them fairly well. As I said in my previous post, Chevrolet made around 60,000 490 tourings (convertible with three doors) like the one in the auction, so the seller is not correct in his description. There is most likely a couple of hundred left worldwide at this point.

The article refers to the World of Motion car as a sedan, which would be a closed body, and in that case most likely the low production numbers would be correct. Hence my search for a photo. I will check the file disneydame recommended and report back.

Cheers,
    Allan

On the internet are copies of old media

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...51940512852766

That has a video about the attraction. I am looking for an old picture but it is hard to find. I think this has a good example of the ride and at about 16:45 is the car scene from WW! era. The about 18:20 starts the country scene and at 18:35 is a billboard showing a car. There are about three cars where the wagon tipped over.

Not sure but 19:05 shows a family in a Chevy, for sure about that, and it looks like the one in the pictures. It has no top but those but it has two bench seats, is that it.

IT IS , IT IS WOOT WOOT WOOT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...QQcmdZViewItem

They include in that the picture of the article from the magazine.
    The article has a picture of the vehicle from the ride.
    The above video show that it is 90 seconds later at 19:04 to about 19:07.

You see the billboard then a lady leaning over to take pictures of an early plane then the family in the Chevrolet 490.

Last edited by mechurchlady; 08-15-2006 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks so much Mechurchlady!

Unfortunately the video is too much for my 28.8 dial up connection (the joys of living in the country!), but if you say the car in the video is the same as the car in the picture used in the article on the auction page (which I had thought was only a stock shot), that's all I need to know.

Definitely an open touring car, mass produced at the time and not as rare as stated in the auction. Further research on my end shows no closed cars were produced in 1916, only accessory hardtops were available. In addition the two door roadster I mentioned earlier was actually a one door roadster in 1916! Again, no driver's door. Not sure where the author of the article in question got his info, but shows you can't believe everything you read!

Thanks again,
    Allan
    PS - I wonder where the WofM 490 is now.....

Standard Disney answer to where the car may be at is:
    In storage
    Sold at auction, like they would do that
    Recycled like the chickens were moved to ToonTown and animatronics were moved to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Now you have something to do next time you are in WDW, look for that car. I will see if I can find a still shot of the car some place. I was a family historian and love mysteries.

Another problem with the car is that they may have removed or altered parts for the show. They put four animatronic figures in the car which would have had to have had some electric connection. How would they get the power to he figures? Probably drilled holes all over the car.

i think the outer part of the car is a decoration in the resturant in by the backlot tour i read that in a book
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

You can google images and i found this 1916 manual for the Chevy 490.

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Chev/1916/index.htm