Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss "Carousel of Progress" Host in the Ask The Experts forums; I am a huge fan of the "Carousel of Progress" since the New York World's Fair. I have always believed that the audio-animatronic figure of the host closely ressembles Walt ...
    Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

"Carousel of Progress" Host

I am a huge fan of the "Carousel of Progress" since the New York World's Fair. I have always believed that the audio-animatronic figure of the host closely ressembles Walt Disney. I am talking about the original figure; it may have been changed several times; although there still is a striking ressemblance. I'd love to ask the sculptor of the figure; I think his name was Blaine, but he may have passed away. Any feedback about this would be welcomed. Incidentally, at the Fair, visitors witnessed an actual demonstration of Nuclear Fusion by GE, done under a see-through dome after exiting the "Carousel". The loud bang could even be heard in the Carousel Theater. When the "COP" was moved to Disneyland, the Nuclear Fusion was not included.

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    The sculptor was probably Blaine Gibson, and as far as I know, he's not dead. I believe he comes out of retirement every 4 or 8 years to sculpt the new President for the Hall of Presidents.

And yes, the host did resembe Uncle Walt a little bit (in my eyes, anyway...)
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

Blaine Gibson

Indeed, I was mistaken. Mr. Gibson is still with us and recently did the work for the figures of Clinton and Bush. I'd love to meet this artistic master to ask if he did the figures for "Small World" and if the "Carousel" host was modelled after Walt himself. Too bad we cannot contact him. His longevity is amazing!

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy
    As in host you mean the Father and the guy talking about the progress of electricity, is actaully the model of the then President of GE. He had Walt take all the measurements amd had his face molded in plaster of paris and the AA was made into his likeness, Walt even took movies of his movements

The project was hush hush. The GE guy was going to bring his wife and kids to the World Fair when it opened so they could see "dad" on stage. Thing is the man died before the opening

Years later when the wife was getting on in years the Disney Company was finally able to get her to see the show and the woman broke down seeing her husband up "on stage"

--condensed from a Mike Scopa story told at Allentoen DisMeet
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Carousel

This is very interesting. Yes, the host, named John also narrated. A similar face was also seen in the now-defunct GE "Horizons", so what you say makes sense. I visited the "Carousel" on opening day at the NY World's Fair and had never been sure who was the model for the host. Incidentally, a similar face was seen in a portion of the now-defunct GE "Horizons" attraction.
    Last edited by Myron; 08-24-2006 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Mistake

Host of Carousel

I believe that the president of GE at the time was Gerald Phillippe, who died prematurely at age 59. There is a photo of him on the GE website but I see little ressemblance to the "Carousel" host/narrator. The "Carousel" host had a mustache, while Mr. Philippe had none in the photo.There is a stronger ressemblance to Mr. Disney. The Grandfather character actually looks more like Mr. Phillippe. We would have to ask Blaine Gibson to be certain; maybe he combined the two.
    Last edited by Myron; 08-24-2006 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Omission