Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Can I Take a Walking Stick in the Ask The Experts forums; I have a quick one for those of you who are extremely familar with WDW. We are planning on a trip to WDW for spring break of 2007, and I ...
    Main Street Magic is offline D-Ticket Holder

Can I Take a Walking Stick

I have a quick one for those of you who are extremely familar with WDW.

We are planning on a trip to WDW for spring break of 2007, and I was planning on taking my walking stick to assist me during my stay. Wha hastles can I expect? What do I do with it on some of the attractions? (Space Mountain is the one example I can think of).

Anyone with some experience, please respond and let me know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

Steve (Main Street Magic)
    Keep your hands and arms inside the post at all times and remember no smoking or flash photography please!

Vegitabeta is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Honestly, I don't have experience with this, but I would have thought you could leave it where you board the ride, and pick it up when you get off. Sorta like you would do with a wheelchair.
    "The Immortal Captain Jack Sparrow." It has such a lovely ring to it...-Captain Jack Sparrow
    Disneyland Resort Paris trip report and photos: Here

MousePad and Magical Mountain Member

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    You will have to leave it with a CM at the loading dock of almost every ride. You are not supposed to take canes, crutches or anything that will fly out of the rides. I have seen some weird things left on the ride platforms at DL. They even have rules about prothetic limbs.

Make sure you have on the cane your name and address so if you lose it or forget it then it can be returned. Lost and found gets lots of lost stuff that has no name on them.
    Figment and Gurgi; chocolate and coffee; and my family. I like to cook, shop, VMK, ToonTown and sweepstaking. Trivia lover but memory not good enough.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    According the somewhat limited list of approved/prohibited items that came up in a search, the closest thing on there for "walking stick" would fall under "canes." These are perfectly legit, provided that they don't have any nasty concealed surprises in them.

However, one of the first caveats that prefaced the list mentioned "dual use" items, or things that would usually be harmless but could potentially become a weapon (I won't open up the can of worms on how open-ended this one is around here). A good solid length of wood in even a clod's hands could spell trouble, so just be prepared for an argument at the security check-in if the folks there raise an eyebrow. A lot of room is left up to the judgement of the officers on duty.

If you're open for suggestions, I'd say just leave it behind. If it's a genuine matter of mobility, you'd probably just want to stick with a cane.

Main Street Magic is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks for the Replies

First, thanks to all who replied to my question. I appreciate all the answers. As to my walking stick, since I have a medical problem, the stick is almost a necessity. I don't have a cane, so the stick is going to have to be it. I had not thought of security, and if they give me any problems, well, then I guess it will stay in the room/ However, the walking stick is just that, no additional uses (well, I was thinking of how it could be used in retaliation for a stroller in the ankle..... j/k)

Knowing what you have informed me of, I will ponder whether it is worth it to have this walking stick with me versus the hassle of leaving it with the CM at the loading area of each attraction. Of course the last thing I would say to any of you is "I'll never leave me walking stick at the loading dock and forget it"......that's the kiss of death for my walking stick.

I once worked at Disneyland so I am familiar with just how much stuff gets left behind. Besides, I've left several lens caps at WDW in my time, too.

Thanks again.

Steve (Main Street Magic)
    Port Orleans Riverside in 192 Days 1 Hrs 17 Mins 48 Secs (but who's counting)
    Keep your hands and arms inside the post at all times and remember no smoking or flash photography please!

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    As for whether or not to take the stick, here is some things to think about.

Why do you need the walking stick or a cane?
    If you need the stick for stability and reassurance then take it. Disney tries to make things easy but sometimes there are cracks in the ground, uneven ground, and trash that can cause a person who topples easily, like me, to take a nasty tumble.

What if you have to walk 10 feet, 50 feet or 100 feet from your ECV to the ride?
    My mother barely walks and would need her walker.

I think in Disneyland terms so forgive me folks. The bobsleds allows a disabled guest to roll right up the vehicle and then hold onto the chair while getting in. In this case you would leave the stick in your ECV. Most rides let you get close enough to not have to walk far. Take the cane just in case. It would be easier for you to use the cane and walk through a restaurant to your seat than trying to not hurt anyone with your ECV.
    Figment and Gurgi; chocolate and coffee; and my family. I like to cook, shop, VMK, ToonTown and sweepstaking. Trivia lover but memory not good enough.

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Can I Take a Walking Stick

While you are at Epcot stop by the African pavilion. There you will find some fantastic hand carved walking sticks made from very hard woods.