Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Disney Dollars or Disney GC's in the Ask The Experts forums; Ok i plan on giving my sister inlaw for christmas a disney gift card for christmas but can she use it toward her purchase of a disney ticket? Or do ...
    tobler16 is offline A-Ticket holder

Disney Dollars or Disney GC's

Ok i plan on giving my sister inlaw for christmas a disney gift card for christmas but can she use it toward her purchase of a disney ticket? Or do i have to get her Disney dollars or are they the same? I know they are probably stupid questions but i never gave anyone disney dollars or disney gift cards. Thanks for all your help.

Lisa:mickey:

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Not stupid questions at all! Disney Gift Cards and Disney Dollars are two different things.

Disney Dollars work like cash at the parks, resorts, Downtown Disney, and the Disney Store. They look like cash, but with Disney characters instead of presidents. Like cash, if they get lost, you're out of luck.

Disney Gift Cards, according to the disneydirect.com website: "Disney Gift Cards can be used at any Disney Store location throughout the United States, through Disney catalog, or online at Disneydirect.com." and "Your recipient may use the Disney Store Gift Card as they would a credit card at Disneydirect.com, through the Disney catalog, or at any Disney Store location in the United States." [Note that "World of Disney" stores are NOT the same as "Disney Stores", so the gift cards are not good at the WoD stores in Downtown Disney or NYC.] They look like plastic credit cards and come in a variety of designs.

Lost or stolen Disney Gift Cards can be replaced with proof of purchase (and some restrictions).

One thing to be careful of: with the Disney Store chain now sold and soon to be "under new management", there may be changes ahead as to what is accepted where. For example, Disneydirect.com sells the Disney Gift Cards (good at stores, catalog, & online) but also now issues its own DisneyDirect.com Gift Certificate for online shopping only.

So as for which to give your SiL: it depends. How soon is she going to be buying her ticket? Is she going to buy a ticket that is available through Disney Stores (park hopper)? Does she have a Disney Store nearby? or is she going to buy her tickets as part of a reservations package or at WDW itself?

Personally, I'd go with the Disney Dollars unless I knew a lot more about her travel plans.

Hope this helps!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

tobler16 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004
    Not stupid questions at all! Disney Gift Cards and Disney Dollars are two different things.

Disney Dollars work like cash at the parks, resorts, Downtown Disney, and the Disney Store. They look like cash, but with Disney characters instead of presidents. Like cash, if they get lost, you're out of luck.

Disney Gift Cards, according to the disneydirect.com website: "Disney Gift Cards can be used at any Disney Store location throughout the United States, through Disney catalog, or online at Disneydirect.com." and "Your recipient may use the Disney Store Gift Card as they would a credit card at Disneydirect.com, through the Disney catalog, or at any Disney Store location in the United States." [Note that "World of Disney" stores are NOT the same as "Disney Stores", so the gift cards are not good at the WoD stores in Downtown Disney or NYC.] They look like plastic credit cards and come in a variety of designs.

Lost or stolen Disney Gift Cards can be replaced with proof of purchase (and some restrictions).

One thing to be careful of: with the Disney Store chain now sold and soon to be "under new management", there may be changes ahead as to what is accepted where. For example, Disneydirect.com sells the Disney Gift Cards (good at stores, catalog, & online) but also now issues its own DisneyDirect.com Gift Certificate for online shopping only.

So as for which to give your SiL: it depends. How soon is she going to be buying her ticket? Is she going to buy a ticket that is available through Disney Stores (park hopper)? Does she have a Disney Store nearby? or is she going to buy her tickets as part of a reservations package or at WDW itself?

Personally, I'd go with the Disney Dollars unless I knew a lot more about her travel plans.

Hope this helps!
    She will be buying her ticket before we go next year to disney. We are driving down their next year. We will be staying on grounds at the ALL Star Movies. We plan on doing other places outside of dw. So we are only going to get a 4 day pass. Can she use the disney dollars for her ticket or does it not work like that. Thanks for all your help.

Lisa :mickey:

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    If you are wanting her to be able to use the "money" for her trip or for her ticket, I would get the Disney Dollars. They are good at the theme parks, resorts, restaurants, etc at WDW. They were usable at the Disney Store. I am assuming (and hoping) that they will still be good at the Disney Store. They can be used for park admission, to pay for accomodations, or anything else at WDW. The Disney Gift Cards, as I understand them, are good only for merchandise from the Disney Store or Disney Catalog. Maybe somebody else has more information.