Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss New Year's Eve 2006 in the Ask The Experts forums; Hi All, We're going to be in WDW from December 29 - January 4 and we are very excited about celebrating New Year's Eve over in the Magic Kingdom. Because ...
    Chantal is offline A-Ticket holder

New Year's Eve 2006

Hi All,

We're going to be in WDW from December 29 - January 4 and we are very excited about celebrating New Year's Eve over in the Magic Kingdom. Because I think it will be extremely crowded by that time of the year, does anyone have tips and tricks on how to go about the parks during this period?

Anyone here who ever celebrated New Year's Eve in the parks? Love to hear your stories!

Also, what's the whether like in Orlando? I have no idea what kind of clothes to put in my suitcase, since I definately want to keep a lot of space free for all the souvenirs I'm hoping to get!

Thanks!

Chantal

AnnF is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I love going, went last year did MGM, this year we're doing Epcot.

Are you staying on porp? if so, do Magic Kingdom on 30th(last year they did the same show 30-31) then do a different park for 31st.

It's warm during the day, but it gets cool at night. The crowds weren't bad, we did have to show our resort ID to get on the monorail on Dec 31 and the boat from Epcot to MGM.

~Ann
    My Blog
    Join Disney Swaps
    1991-offsite; 1995-Ft.Wilderness; 1998-offsite; 2001-Grosvenor; 06/2001-offsite; 12/01-offsite; 12/02 offsite; 06/03 offsite;12/03 offsite; 12/05-ASMu; 8/06 Pop;*Upcoming 12/06 Pop;03/07 offsite*

Koda is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I go to new years every year at Disney. My family enjoys going to EPCOT. It is not as crowded as Magic Kingdom. If you want to go the Magic Kingdom you need to get there early. Usually the park reaches capcity in the afternoon. I've never seen that problem with Epcot. I guess it would depend how old the people are you are traveling with. My family has older kids so we have fun walking around the world and having different drinks. They also have dance areas set up every few countries with different styles of music, djs and lights. All that good stuff. Early in the night they also give a way new years eve hats and horns. And of course the new years eve fireworks are amazing.

As far as the weather goes.... you can never tell. Some years I can wear jeans and tank tops and other years im wearing my winter jacket. Check the weather before you leave and pack layers.

I also agree with above... go the Magic Kingdom on the 30th, it is exact same show as new years minus the crowds. That way you can celebrate new years two nights in a row.

Have fun!
    Koda

If we can dream it, we can do it! ~ Walt Disney

Thanks for the tips! I must say that Epcot is the park which we find least attractive. I did like Illuminations and we certainly enjoyed Future World and all the attractions, but World Showcase: we didn't find it very interesting. And we are staying off property in the Marriott Village so we don't have extra magic hours. But to avoid the crowds I guess it's a good thing to do what you suggested, going to the MK on the 30th and Epcot 31st.

I always wonder if the weather predictions I see here in Holland are very correct, and we don't have Fahrenheit but Celcius, so that's also a difference that's difficult for me. I guess layers should do it, I don't think I will be bringing my winter coat.

What kind of shows are there on new years eve? I tried to find it on the WDW website, but I can only find the opening hours in the calendar. Is it just the regular stuff? Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic?

AnnF is offline D-Ticket Holder
    MK:Wishes 8:30pm Fantasy in the Sky at midnight
    Epcot: Illuminations + 7:30pm @ 11:40pm
    MGM:Fantasmic 6:30, 8:30 & 10pmLights! Camera! Happy New Year! @ midnight

Just a note they can't have all 3 parks do fireworks at the same time. You may celebrate new years @ 11:55pm

~Ann
    My Blog
    Join Disney Swaps
    1991-offsite; 1995-Ft.Wilderness; 1998-offsite; 2001-Grosvenor; 06/2001-offsite; 12/01-offsite; 12/02 offsite; 06/03 offsite;12/03 offsite; 12/05-ASMu; 8/06 Pop;*Upcoming 12/06 Pop;03/07 offsite*

turtleclanscott is offline C-Ticket Holder
    You will love New Year's Eve at Epcot! Get to the Lagoon early and make yourselves comfortable. We made friends while waiting.

The fireworks include Illuminations followed by a special New Years Eve countdown with extra fireworks! They are amazing!

Be patient after the fireworks when trying to get out. The parks are at capacity that day, and almost everyone stays until midnight. So after the fireworks, there are 50,000 people trying to leave at once. Then on the roadways, all of the parks are clearing out at once.

Fortunately, we stayed at the Contemporary in 2001-2002. While leaving on the monorail, we could see the cars backed up out of the parking lots and on the streets.

Have a great time!
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Chantal, Can I go??

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Wanna come with me?

We don't have a car when we go! So I am very afraid that we have to catch the Mears transport to get back to the hotel! Don't think that's gonna work.... mmmm... I think it's possible to take a taxi right? I saw taxi's waiting outside the parking lots when were in WDW last year.

It would be great to get to talk to people while we are waiting for the fireworks to start. If the shows are really the same then perhaps it's better to be in Epcot the 31st rather than the Magic Kingdom. Although, MGM might be lots of fun also. Can't we celebrate new years eve 3 times?!!!
    When we were in MK Summer 2005 we also talked to some people during the parades, we never kept contact, I think it's a shame. Everybody in WDW and the American people we met were so nice!

I am so looking forward to our trip! We're heading for Disneyland Paris Christmas opening weekend this Sunday, to get in the mood already!

Can't wait to go back to WDW, although I am not particularly enthousiastic about our 9 our flight!

If anyone else has nice stories about new year's eve in WDW and you are willing to share them, please let me know. It's so much fun to read before we are going to experience it ourselves.
    Thanks!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    [quote=Chantal;351040]
    Although, MGM might be lots of fun also. Can't we celebrate new years eve 3 times?!!! [quote]

Actually if Pleasure Island still does the nightly New years eve Party you CAN celebrate it three times!! But you would have to celebrate two of them at PI.. hehehe
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

andyznuff is offline A-Ticket holder
    Visiting Disneyworld From Dec.22 till Jan. 1 . My girlfriend and I are going to MK on new year's eve so these posts on all the info are very helpful. Thank you everybody! Staying at POP Century [ stayed there many times before] and PortOrleans French Quarter[ first time!]
    Andy Raymond,
    Kearny, NJ
    Last edited by andyznuff; 11-08-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Nice to hear that more WDWT members are going to enjoy new year's eve in Walt Disney World!

moulds is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Me and my wife are going to be there during New Years 2008. And were pretty excited about it.
    Don't miss out on the fun....
    Join The WDW FANS CLUB!!!!
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/fo...9948#post259948

I can imagine!