Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss Discovery Cove in the Vacation Planning forums; Have any of you ever done Discovery Cove? John and I did it on our honeymoon, and it was simply incredible! We got to swim with the dolphins, feed birds ...
    JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen

Discovery Cove

Have any of you ever done Discovery Cove?

John and I did it on our honeymoon, and it was simply incredible! We got to swim with the dolphins, feed birds (a flamingo tried to perch on my arm!), feed sting rays (that was so werid but cool!), go snorkeling, float down their lazy river... and it was all inclusive, so we didn't have to worry about anything but souvenirs. And the food was great.

It was certainly not cheap, but worth every penny.

Has anyone else been there?

KUNGALOOSH!!!

flutter is offline Moderator
    I haven't but it sounds like fun.
    When I went on the 7-day western carribean Disney cruise, I snorkled with sting rays and we fed them and then I swam with dolphins at another port I had alot of fun on the cruise I would love to do another one one of these days

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i have always wanted to do it! We went to disney for our honeymoon in Oct. and were thinking about doing it but never did. We are going back in may and were thinking about it. It was good to hear a good post about it. thanks
    shannon

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    I went about 5 years ago and it was so fun. My family is thinking of going again in March, and I would love to do it again.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

blue donkey is offline A-Ticket holder

Question discovery cove questions

I have never been, but am definitely leaning on going on my next trip. It sounds right up my alley.

Does anyone know if you stay on-site at Disney, if you rent a car from the hotel for the day? And if lunch is served at a specific time at Discovery Cove, or if just eat when you wanted too?

Thanks!
    Hidden Mickeys, beware!

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder
    2 giant thumbs up for discovery cove!!! it is expensive but when you break it down its totally worth it. we paid like 250 a person but you get so much:
    a "continental" breakfast- this actually had a lot, pastries juices teas coffee bagels and whatnot
    guarenteed 30 minutes in the dolphin thingy
    unlimited use of the pool, the stingray pool, the coral reef and the aviary
    a pretty big lunch with lots of choices
    all your snacks and drinks for the day
    use of a wetsuit and goggles- they give you a snorkel to keep for health reasons
    use of a locker
    7 day ticket to seaworld or busch gardens

i had a blast there, and i think it was absolutely worth it. i really want to go again actually, maybe i'll get to see the same dolphin! we were staying on disney property and using exclusively their transportation so we just got a cab to and from discovery cove and it really wasn't all that expensive for the 2 of us.

lisac123 is offline A-Ticket holder
    ive been twice but never swam with the dolphins cos im not a great fan of dolphins. in our group there was 10 of, 6 kids and 4 adults. with the new included food whenever u like, us (the 6 kids) went off for the whole day with only seeing the adults about twice. The only downside i found was that in the pool with the fish, i found it quite scary as i kept ****ing up salt water that kept making me almost sick which then caused me to think i would drown tho, so me and my mate we then spent couple of hours in the plain pool which was brill. the birds were great all of us had birds on our arms feeding them. great experiences. I would recommend it to any1. i do want to go again, and all though i didnt pay for it, my dad loved it and he wants 2 go again.
    --M-i-c-k-e-y--M-o-u-s-e--

Jun 1996 - WDW - IDrive - Hotel
    Oct 1998 - WDW - IDrive - Hotel
    Apr 2003 - WDW - IDrive - Hotel
    Aug 2007 - WDW - Kissimmee - Villa

Next Time...
    Apr 2009 - WDW - Kissimmee - Villa

lisac123 is offline A-Ticket holder
    the word thats ****ing was. s u c k ing
    --M-i-c-k-e-y--M-o-u-s-e--

Jun 1996 - WDW - IDrive - Hotel
    Oct 1998 - WDW - IDrive - Hotel
    Apr 2003 - WDW - IDrive - Hotel
    Aug 2007 - WDW - Kissimmee - Villa

Next Time...
    Apr 2009 - WDW - Kissimmee - Villa

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    my family went to discovery cove in sept of '06. all of us loved it!!! it was awesome to be able to take a ride on a dolphin--such an cool memory! feeding the birds in the aviary was very cool to--we have pics of birds perched on all of our heads...a little scary lol...and some where we had like 3-4 birds perched on our arms at once. if anyone ever has the chance to do this definitely go for it!!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

blue donkey is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
    2 giant thumbs up for discovery cove!!! it is expensive but when you break it down its totally worth it. we paid like 250 a person but you get so much:
    a "continental" breakfast- this actually had a lot, pastries juices teas coffee bagels and whatnot
    guarenteed 30 minutes in the dolphin thingy
    unlimited use of the pool, the stingray pool, the coral reef and the aviary
    a pretty big lunch with lots of choices
    all your snacks and drinks for the day
    use of a wetsuit and goggles- they give you a snorkel to keep for health reasons
    use of a locker
    7 day ticket to seaworld or busch gardens

i had a blast there, and i think it was absolutely worth it. i really want to go again actually, maybe i'll get to see the same dolphin! we were staying on disney property and using exclusively their transportation so we just got a cab to and from discovery cove and it really wasn't all that expensive for the 2 of us.
    wow, thanks for the info LockShockBarrel! I think we'll stay at Disney & catch a cab too.
    Hidden Mickeys, beware!

LaBretonne2002 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    We're thinking of doing it too when we go. My mom is not a strong swimmer but would like to do the dolphin swim. How deep is it and do you actually have to swim? I'd like to hear more about your time in the dolphin swim...

Also, lunch is included - what kind of foods do they have for the free lunch?

Thanks in advance for the information...

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder
    you really don't have to be a strong swimmer, just comfy in the water. you go between waist and chest deep (i'm short so it was chest deep for me) in the dolphin pool. you also can swim out to the middle and ride your dolphin back, but theres also another ride thingy you can do if you're not a good swimmer, a little girl in my group did that. they have life vests too and i saw several adults with them.

as for food, at breakfast there were all sorts of snacky things, fruit bagels pastries juice coffee. for lunch it was actual meals, salads sandwiches hot dogs hamburgers with lots of sides and dessert. you can have as much as you want to drink through the whole day and i guess there's snacks too but i didn't see what they were. i'm sure you could call if you have any food issues/allergies to make sure they'd have something for you too.

DolphinDiva84 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yes! I was there last month. It was an amazing experience. I am working with the park right now, so if anyone has any questions or needs help planning their trip, feel free to ask, I am happy to help!

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Discovery Cove

I went in March 2005 as an early 21st birthday present cos we weren't going to be there the following year for my 21st. It was so much fun although I did sink in the water when we stepped off the cliff to go do the swim bit with the dolphins cos I'm not the strongest swimmer and didn't realise how deep it was the minute you went away from where we were standing playing with the dolphin! It was still fun though loved it. It's like a little paradise away from the business of all the other parks.