Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss Pleasure Island? in the Vacation Planning forums; I was wondering if anyone knows if there's changes coming to Pleasure Island? I remeber in the mid nineties the place was always hoping even inthe middle of the week. ...
    Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Pleasure Island?

I was wondering if anyone knows if there's changes coming to Pleasure Island? I remeber in the mid nineties the place was always hoping even inthe middle of the week. Now it seems dead and even on the weekends it doesn't seem as happening as it once was. I was down this past September and went to Ragland Road, and enjoyed that more than any club on Pleasure Island.
    Anyway a friend of my was there in December and heard there were going to be changes to Pleasure Island, because there just not the numbers of people there like it used to?

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    There've already been several changes in the past couple years:
    * No more "Every night is New Year's Eve"
    * Demolition of the West End Stage
    * Closing of the Rock & Roll Beach Club
    * No more gated admission - anyone can walk through
    * Closing of the Jazz Club / Opening of Raglan Road

There's a new "T-Rex" restaurant set to open either later this year or early next year. There's a new restaurant going in to where R&R Beach Club was.

As for more changes, there are always rumors. If you want to believe someone like Jim Hill, the long term plan is to completely demolish every club. I find that decidely unlikely, of course.

OfficerJay is offline A-Ticket holder

The end of Pleasure Island

It has recently been announced that Pleasure Island will be closing on September 28th at 2AM. This closure will include all Disney Clubs (Motion, BET, CW, Adventurer's Club, and 8Trax. However, As I understand it, Ragland Road will remain open. Between now and then, I'd imagine the crowds might increase a bit, and then it is no more. Disney seems to be refurb'ing and redirecting the overall theme of that area.
    Jason

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Pleasure Island?

Pleasure Island saw its' day.it's over,it's done,it's gone let it rest in peace,please people.My wife and I did the PI back in the 90's and it wasn't that much fun,if you ask me.Back then I still drank alcoholic beverages and went to clubs,but I really wasn't impressed with the whole island thing at all.I am a parks kinda guy and a "do somethings on vacation that you can't do at home" kinda guy.Pleasure Island was nothing more than a big spread out place to drink,get drunk and try to pick up someone for ...you know what.So I say farewell PI,I won't miss you!!!!!!!!!
    P.S. I know that there are many more of yall out there that feel exactly as I do about PI.Are you brave enough to come out of the woodwork and comment as I did,or are ya a little bit ..................?
    Last edited by Park Hopper Dad; 04-13-2009 at 12:46 PM.
    Park Hopper Dad!

JLWilkes3RD is offline A-Ticket holder

I agree Park Hopper Dad. PI's time has come and gone. I'm 27 so I still enjoy attending the occansional bar or two. But having a scene like that in DW takes away from the mystique a little. If I want to get a little tipsy I'd nuch rather "Drink Around the World" or got to Jelly Rolls... no need to be around a bunch of 21 year olds taking Jello Shots...
    This concludes my rant
    "You can't run away from trouble. There ain't no place that far."- Uncle Remus "Song of the South"

Exactly JLWiles3RD.
    Although I don't drink anymore,(got myself into church and changed my ways),I feel the same as you just mentioned.Go somewhere else to drink and such.Leave the magical mystery(no not tour),to the kids and families and not to the drunks,let's party crowd.
    Park Hopper Dad!

ms_minnie is offline A-Ticket holder

I will miss the Comedy Warehouse. While I agree that most of the nightlife there didn't really fit in with the Disney atmosphere, it's really too bad that AC and CW had to get cut as well.

Disney Bride to the Wonderful Soarin' Puddy

Who remembers the dance club that was there in the original lineup called "the Cage?"
    If ya don't,it was a cool,80's music/dance music club,on the left side right after you pass Manniquins and turn left.It was black with backlights and neon,and surprisingly,cages.Which was fenced areas around the tables and dance area.I remember the caption,"there's a rage in the cage"
    Who else remembers that club?
    Park Hopper Dad!