Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss Balloon Ride at Downtown in the Vacation Planning forums; I think by now most of us have heard about the rumored balloon ride that is coming to Downtown Disney as part of the big Pleasure Island "refurb" etc. Something ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Post Balloon Ride at Downtown

I think by now most of us have heard about the rumored balloon ride that is coming to Downtown Disney as part of the big Pleasure Island "refurb" etc. Something interesting I saw today made me realize this maybe wasn't just an "out of nowhere" thought.

I'm reading through a book called "The Art of Walt Disney" by Christopher Finch, and in it there is a section on the art of the Disney Parks. In particular there is a "concept" map of what Disneyland was propsed to have looked like. The map was what was presented to investors.

So how do these things tie in? Well, in this concept map you can plainly see a very large and obvious tethered hot-air balloon ride coming out of the center hub of the park. Plain as day, no doubt about it... even Walt had an idea of a tethered balloon ride for his parks.

It's interesting of course, at least to me, because I know the majority of the conversations I've seen on the myriad of Disney forums I attend have been negative, saying it's so "unDisney" a thing to do.

Just very interesting how sometimes the past can indeed predict the future.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Very good point, Jenn!

Imagineers are fond of saying that no idea is ever thrown away at Disney. That something may not have been made at the time it was proposed doesn't mean that it won't ever see the light of day in some form or another at a later date.

Here's a link to a photo of that original concept map: http://www.visionsfantastic.com/dadd..._OrigMapLG.jpg
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    I never thought that and thanks for telling me. I'm going to have to check out that book from the library and/or buy it.

I can't see the pic Pat it says it's forbidden.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Well, that just won't do! Thanks for letting me know, Adam.

Try this: Visions Fantastic - 50 Years Exhibit
    It's a great look inside the 50 Years of Magic exhibit at Disneyland. Scroll down to the third picture to see the map, clicking on it will make it larger.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Yep that's exactly the map I'm speaking of!

I just love this idea now... knowing it's something that came from Walt's own brain way-back-when makes it seem special!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Ohhh...I seen it before. I got it from someplace as a wallpaper. They still are trying to keep Walt's ideas alive!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!