Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Beyond the Parks Discuss Is Cirque Du Solei worth it in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by kat228 for the record...i'm not comparing cirque to a concert years ago...i'm comparing cirque to a concert today. I paid (a lot) more to go see jimmy ...
    Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Is Cirque Du Solei worth it

Quote Originally Posted by kat228 View Post
    for the record...i'm not comparing cirque to a concert years ago...i'm comparing cirque to a concert today. I paid (a lot) more to go see jimmy buffett than i did to go see cirque. And i don't think that has one bit to do with my age.
    whatever!!!!
    Park Hopper Dad!

w0449377 is offline A-Ticket holder

I would say that La Nouba is worth the money, its a great show!
    It is cheaper to see a show in Florida than it is in London (at the Royal Albert Hall).
    Kirsty

mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

I think it is totally worth it, but let me elaborate in a way that may help you enjoy the show a little more. My friend worked at La Nouba (and has since moved on to another position within the organization) and I can give you some tips and secrets about the show, but nothing that would spoil your fun.

First, the "cheap seats" are often better than the seats on the floor. The sight lines are much better for the aerial acts and you can see some of the floor mechanisms that will enhance acts like the trampoline wall climbers.

Pay attention to the clowns especially the master Balto. They are not the kind you will find at an American circuses, rather they carry the plot and heart of the show. They actually do some of the same feats as the regular acts. When I was backstage Balto seemed to be held in the highest regard among the performers and when one he had issue with a misplaced prop let me tell you everything and everybody stopped to help.

They smoke like chimneys. I'm not condoning it, but I think knowing that they all do this with limited lung capacity made it more amazing.

Finally, I was in the VIP section right next to the control boot during an all-stop. For those of you not theatrically inclined an all-stop means something has gone horribly awry. She said it was the only all-stop she's ever been a part of there, and it was due to a stage feature being stuck slightly open. You would never have known if you were in the audience. The booth exploded into a frenzy of the most organized, frantic, professional action I have ever seen backstage at a show. The professionalism was amazing and the situation was solved in a manner that, if you were in the audience, you would never have known something went wrong. You might be able to see the harnesses and nets the performers use, but make no mistake that their lives are on the line.
    Last edited by mercurywaxing; 08-29-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: correct name of clown

bmcintyre is offline A-Ticket holder

We have almost all the Cirque shows on tape, so we were anxious to see one live. We weren't disappointed. But I wouldn't see it again. I wish they would rotate shows during the year or bring in a new show. This one has been there forever.

mercurywaxing is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by bmcintyre View Post
    We have almost all the Cirque shows on tape, so we were anxious to see one live. We weren't disappointed. But I wouldn't see it again. I wish they would rotate shows during the year or bring in a new show. This one has been there forever.
    The idea is that since most people travel to Disney from distant places they don't need to redo the show often. When you take into account the amount of first time guests that Disney gets and repeat guests that have never seen La Nouba they won't have to change it out for years and years.

babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder

Those of you that have seen the show, are the seats comfortable?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

The wife and I went on our honeymoon b/c tickets were included in the package we were on. I honestly thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, but I probably wouldn't pay $70 to see it again.

Obviously, a lot of this depends on your income. It's a subject people seem to tiptoe around a lot here, but it's clear that to some people $70 isn't a lot of money, but to some people it is, and to those people I would say it isn't worth it.

In other words, if you have $70 to spend frivolously then go for it, but if spending the $70 is gonna hurt you, then to me it wouldn't be worth it.

If we can dream it, we can do it

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    The wife and I went on our honeymoon b/c tickets were included in the package we were on. I honestly thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, but I probably wouldn't pay $70 to see it again.

Obviously, a lot of this depends on your income. It's a subject people seem to tiptoe around a lot here, but it's clear that to some people $70 isn't a lot of money, but to some people it is, and to those people I would say it isn't worth it.

In other words, if you have $70 to spend frivolously then go for it, but if spending the $70 is gonna hurt you, then to me it wouldn't be worth it.
    My thinking is pretty much the same as yours on this. I have not seen the show yet, but I know I would love it... my parents have seen a few and one they said brought them to tears (even my huge, masculine, canadian, hockey-playing dad)...I think it was the one called "love" in las vegas. Anyways, I will see it one day, but as someone who REALLY doesn't have $70 to blow, I will wait till I go on my honeymoon when its a REALLY special occassion.
    On a similar note, when Lou and others have recommend going to your hotel and napping and swimming during the afternoon when you're at Disney to avoid the heat and the crowds.... to me, this sounds great, but its just not a luxery I can do. If i'm spending $75-ish on ONE day, I'm spending the ENTIRE day there. If I had an annual pass or if I were there for 2 weeks and had a 10 day hopper, then maybe... but that just will never be an option for me. It's all relative to how much you can afford. Same goes for food, I will get the meal plan and go to nice dinners on my honeymoon, but other than that... MAYBE once in a blue moon will I make dinner reservations because when I'm already spending a ton of money just for my park tickets, dinner is a HUGE expense to have to add on.

MorenaSangre is offline A-Ticket holder

Okay, I've seen La Nouba 5 times now. (local + theatre junkie).

Personally, I think it's totally worth it, and let me tell you why...

~ Like most things at Disney, it's a really unique experience. There is no other show like Cirque. It's not a circus, it's not a variety show, it's...Cirque. The ticket price is steep, but they're offering a really unique experience that you can't find elsewhere, and there is an amazing amount of talent on display.

~ The show is immersive. The first time DH and I went, our tickets were a gift, and we were very, very skeptical. We'd seen videos of Cirque performance on TV and...meh. The live show is amazing. It's not just the performers on stage or the music, or the singers...it's everything coming together in a very special way. A recording can't express that.

~The show is something almost anyone will enjoy. My 75 year old dad who likes to hunt and fish, thinks Shakespeare is a dirty word, channel surfs, and only reads Westerns loved the show and thought it was astounding.

Is it worth it? Depends. If you are looking to be entertained and transported to another world for 90 minutes, yes. If you are only interested in shopping, riding rides, and engaging in interactive experiences, no. If the $70 is going to rob you of a day in the parks? No. Honestly, though, I cannot think of a single person I know whom I would not take to see La Nouba.

And to answer 3 questions/comments above...

Seats...they're all right. Pretty typical flip-down style padded theater seats. They are rather small, if you're a larger person, you may not be as comfortable. I've been uncomfortable sitting beside a heavy-set person in the show before.

Gentleman on the silks...wow. That is what the Greeks were thinking of when they wrote about Adonis. Amazing.

Starlight Express...I don't think it's still showing. They did an American tour several years ago, and we were able to catch it in Orlando. Amazing show.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by MorenaSangre; 07-09-2010 at 07:54 PM.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

i sees these scary clownpeople and they give me bad dreams
    where animals?this a circus?
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123