Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Beyond the Parks Discuss Xanadu in the Vacation Planning forums; It's not affiliated with WDW... it's not even alive anymore. It's a small white dome (marshmellow) house that is... "The Home Of The Future.. echo echo echo...." anyone visiting WDW ...
    Tampa is offline No longer in service

Xanadu

It's not affiliated with WDW... it's not even alive anymore. It's a small white dome (marshmellow) house that is... "The Home Of The Future.. echo echo echo...." anyone visiting WDW from south Florida, passing through Kissimee are surely familiar with it. I'd be sure to take eye of it each WDW trip growing up. Now it's nothing more than a ghost. I recomended on this one website that WDW should buy it, restore it and place somewhere on property with a theme revolving around the architects theme. If done right, it would sell and probably blow up into a cartoon for them again... if approached right.

Anyone know it?

http://www.lostparks.com/xanadu.html

-Tampa

JLTraveling is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I used to love Xanadu!! It was cheesy and dated when I was a kid. But such fun! It would work well with Tomorrowland's "The Future That Never Was" theme.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Didn't disneyland have "The Home Of The Future."

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    dang... and i thought this was a thread about the movie, "Xanadu"... with Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly... and the best soundtrack ever....
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

Really JL? Where'd ya migrate to WDW from? I lived in Ft Lauderdale/ Broward since forever and when I recently moved to Tampa and back and when I was there I'd drive over to Orlando just to see it, I didn't have the nerve to enter it... all dirty and nasty but finally I went up close.

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosworms
    dang... and i thought this was a thread about the movie, "Xanadu"... with Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly... and the best soundtrack ever....
    I love that movie! My husband thinks I'm cheezy or . I also love... now don't everyone laugh... "Roller Boogie" .
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

JLTraveling is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I was raised in Lakeland...lived in Orlando for awhile. Just got back to the area a couple of months ago after 3 years in New Orleans. I only ever toured Xanadu a couple of times, but it was actually really cool, in a "future from the perspective of the 70s" sort of way. They previewed all sorts of weird technologies that were sort of a sideline "not as good as we have now" but must have seemed like futuristic marvels when the place was built...think laserdiscs instead of DVDs. I think it would be fun in retro-Tomorrowland.

viks is offline A-Ticket holder
    i went there when i was 9, i don't remember the actual point of it though? I remember being too scared to crawl into the bedroom (i got clastraphobic) and sitting at a strange breakfasty bar round thingy, and everything being white

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Yeah, Xanadu.

One of my few retained memories from 2003 was paying central Florida a visit, and stumbling upon the derilect home of the future. It sort of broke my heart. One of those fond memories of being a little guy, and now it's joined the ranks of so many other fly-by night Kissimmee area businesses.

Everytime I pass by that giant orange wholesaler on 192 and reading the sign proudly declaring SINCE 1991, I'm reminded of how with that particular neighborhood, that actually IS saying something.....
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

good point, Ape. The only established landmarks there that are emblazoned in my head are Xanadu, McDonalds and the Travel Lodge (I think) that's behind Mickey D's. Anything beyond that, doesn't matter, cept' the women. I wouldn't even remember the lodge if they didn't have a sleepy bear mascot statue out front.

I always enjoyed passing up Wet N' Wild, because when I'm in that area, I've got bigger and better things in store.

and now they've got purple street posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape
    Yeah, Xanadu.

One of my few retained memories from 2003 was paying central Florida a visit, and stumbling upon the derilect home of the future. It sort of broke my heart. One of those fond memories of being a little guy, and now it's joined the ranks of so many other fly-by night Kissimmee area businesses.

Everytime I pass by that giant orange wholesaler on 192 and reading the sign proudly declaring SINCE 1991, I'm reminded of how with that particular neighborhood, that actually IS saying something.....
    I stayed in that area in 94, i guess a lot must have changed. Is by any strange chance the thing there which is like 2 cranes (bad description) and they hoist you up to one and drop you and you swing between them? That used to fasniate me , espec at night

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Viks, it sounds as though you're describing Old Town, just down the road a piece from the ruins of Xanadu. OT is a tourist-trappy area (go figure) with a lot of souvenir stores, an arcade, a few rides I'm not sure I'd trust with my life (the crane/slingshot job you mentioned being one of them), and if I remember right, a walk-through haunted mansion with live actors popping out to say 'boo.'

All in all, not a bad place to spend the evening if you don't have the $$$ for Downtown Disney.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

they should like gold plate Xan just for being the oldest structure in their history eh?
    Last edited by Tampa; 06-17-2005 at 07:57 PM.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    There was a great site which I can remember reading a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it's still on the go now. I think it was called 'Roadside America', and it was basically an internet guide to really random tourist traps along roads throughout America. They had a long article about Xanadu and its history, and how that its owners had been trying to sell it for years and years etc. It even had a few interior pictures. I'll try and hunt it down now, if any of you are interested.

EDIT - Found the link. And it seems as if there was more than one...
    Last edited by 20K; 06-19-2005 at 10:20 AM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

thanks for the link, will check it out. also thanks for all the replies, you've jogged my memory a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast