Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Beyond the Parks Discuss Seaworld in the Vacation Planning forums; I think Seaworld is SO underrated, and such a great park! People pass it off as a zoo, or something of that like. It's WAY better than Animal Kingdom imo, ...
    Souldier is offline B-Ticket Holder

Seaworld

I think Seaworld is SO underrated, and such a great park! People pass it off as a zoo, or something of that like. It's WAY better than Animal Kingdom imo, and this is coming from a HUGE Disney World fan, who's been to the parks 40-50 times. My only gripe is the layout of the park is incredibly confusing, and very poorly designed. Also there isn't very many shady spots, (I've probobly sweated more than I ever have at a theme park here. I was DRENCHED. it was disgusting lol.). You might be saying, "BUT THERES ONLY LIKE 5 RIDES AND A BUNCH OF KIDDY RIDES!" but you have to realize, this isn't a ride oriented theme park. And, the quality of the rides makes up for the quanity. If anyone cares to read, I've reviewed each one.

Manta: The newest coaster at Seaworld, simulates a manta ray's flight. You get into a normal looking coaster car, that's hanging from the track. And once your strapped in, the car suddenly does a 180, and your laying on your stomach. It's a really weird and disorienting experience, and it really does feel like your're flying. Once you start up the lift hill, you realize there is NOTHING below you except people and concrete. If your afraid of heights, DONT GO ON. The ride has a very disorienting loop, in the begining and it's very hard to explain, but lots of fun. There are many times where you are very close to the ground and water, and it looks like you're gonna hit it! Overall, once the gimmick of you laying on your stomach wears off, its an ordinary coaster, but that's not to say it isn't fun. 8.0

Journey To Atlantis: This seems like a ripoff of Splash Mountain, from the outside, but once you get on it is very different. It is a combination of a Dark Ride, Flume, and Coster. There is a storyline, but it pretty much nobody understands that there is a story line. The plot is, you are trying to get to the mythical city of Atlantis! A kind man lends you his seahorse, which transforms into pixiedust and leads the way. This is where the dark ride element kicks in. you travel into a very colorful coral reef, full of robotic eels and fish. You see a beautiful animated mermaid beckoning you to Atlantis. You see Atlantis for a breif moment, and then you see the "mermaid" transform into a hideous Medusa looking Siren. Suddenly buildings are on "fire" and Atlantis is falling apart. The stupid seahorse doesn't help you escape either. You start climbing a hill and you see the Siren's head almost collide with your boat (think of the ending part of Dinosaur, at Animal Kingdom) . Then the Siren sends you down the falls. But its not over yet! your boat climbs up a second hill, and goes back into the ride building (for all you movie buffs out there, the theme of Beatlejuice strangly plays in this part..) you see the Siren one more time, and you plunge into a pitch black drop- with no water! This is the roller coaster element to the ride. It is very unique. If you get a chance to do this ride at night, DO IT. It is FANTASTIC at night, it is much more convincing, and a heck of a lot scarier because you can't see where you are going! Overall, don't expect any Disney level theming here, most of the effects don't work anymore, but it is a fun ride. 7.5

I will review Kracken and Wild Arctic tomorrow if anyone gets around to reading this.
    Halloween has come and gone..

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

ADRIEN

Formerly known as Dznyfreak42

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Seaworld

Good to know, it's funny because we were just talking about Sea World the other day and it's been so long since we had been to Sea World we couldn't remember if it had rides or not, all we could remember was Shark Encounter, is that still there? It came up because if you do the Discovery Cove/ swimming with the Dolphins experience they offer you a 1 week pass for free at either Sea World, Bush Gardens over in Tampa or Aquatica, which is a new water park. So I'm assuming they must be all owned by the same corp.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

SevenSeasLagoon is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
    I think Seaworld is SO underrated, and such a great park! People pass it off as a zoo, or something of that like. It's WAY better than Animal Kingdom imo, and this is coming from a HUGE Disney World fan, who's been to the parks 40-50 times. My only gripe is the layout of the park is incredibly confusing, and very poorly designed. Also there isn't very many shady spots, (I've probobly sweated more than I ever have at a theme park here. I was DRENCHED. it was disgusting lol.). You might be saying, "BUT THERES ONLY LIKE 5 RIDES AND A BUNCH OF KIDDY RIDES!" but you have to realize, this isn't a ride oriented theme park. And, the quality of the rides makes up for the quanity. If anyone cares to read, I've reviewed each one .

I agree with you! SW is a very nice park and I think WDW lovers would like it a lot! I too, think it is poorly designed and difficult to navigate. But we have enjoyed our visits there. However, I don't think it is better than AK!

Souldier is offline B-Ticket Holder

Yeah, now that I think about it, AK is a lot better. I think just the lack of a sea themed land is what's holding it back
    Halloween has come and gone..

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

ADRIEN

Formerly known as Dznyfreak42

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I liked seaworld... but definetly not as good as animal kingdom or any of the disney parks for that matter. Discovery Cove however is DEFINETLY great... the exclusiveness of it and it was just a great relaxing and fun experience. The only problem is the price. The fact that you get a weeks worth of seaworld or busch gardens or aquatica (OR, not and) makes it a little more worth it, but I couldnt do any of those parks more than one day on a trip. The unlimited food and snacks was great as well, and there were also alcoholic drinks included (a nice relaxing cooler by the pool is always nice). But anyways, seaworld I've done and I dont really have any desire to go again... although it was for sure worth it doing the once.

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

I think seaworld is a great park, some good rides, excellent shows and being able to feed and stroke the dolphins and rays is fun too.
    Enjoyed reading your write up of the rides, Manta was about half finished when I last visited in November so I'll look forward to riding it next year.

Ruddy

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

My 2 younger brothers are obsessed with sea life, so we have to make Sea World a stop everytime we are in the area (yes, even when we stay on Disney property). We are going next month and I am looking forward to riding Manta for the first time :-)
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

I do like Animal Kingdom but I think it could have been so so so much better. The whole Beastly Kingdom thing lets it down, we still have all these little reminders such as the stone dragon, the unicorn parking lot and the cave that used to shoot fire out of it, its almost like Disney is teasing us.

I read about what was proposed, the fantasia boat ride, the good and evil sides, a castle with a roller coaster inside and it just makes me a bit sad. With all of these things it could have been the best park in WDW but for me as it is with camp minnie mickey its probably my least favourite.

People keep saying it might still happen, but 11 years on from the park opening and Disney shutting down more rides than they are building at the moment I really cant see it ever happening which I think is a big shame and also a mistake.

Ruddy

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RuddyWDW View Post
    I do like Animal Kingdom but I think it could have been so so so much better. The whole Beastly Kingdom thing lets it down, we still have all these little reminders such as the stone dragon, the unicorn parking lot and the cave that used to shoot fire out of it, its almost like Disney is teasing us.

I read about what was proposed, the fantasia boat ride, the good and evil sides, a castle with a roller coaster inside and it just makes me a bit sad. With all of these things it could have been the best park in WDW but for me as it is with camp minnie mickey its probably my least favourite.

People keep saying it might still happen, but 11 years on from the park opening and Disney shutting down more rides than they are building at the moment I really cant see it ever happening which I think is a big shame and also a mistake.

I completely agree with you, I feel as though they could have done so much more! And I do remember when the park first opened seeing on television that they planned on opening 2 or 3 more sections to the park in upcoming years (this was back in 1998), and the only new area they opened since then was Asia. They also need a few more places with air conditioning in that place, I understand we're going for an African Safari type of idea, but it's Florida!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

I was reading an article by Jim Hill about beastly kingdom and AK its about 8 years old now but its very good.

Basically Eisner wouldn't give the Imagineers enough money to finish off the park, the boat ride (which closed because quite frankly it was pathetic) was never meant to be like that. The Imagineers set out for it to be similar to the jungle cruise but with more technology. The fire breathing dragon featured, as well as kraken rocking the boat and the unicorn at the end. Eisner told them there was not enough money to do this so in the end we got a crumby boat ride which inevitably closed soon after it opened.

Judging by the article it was bad business by Eisner that cost us Disney fans Beastly Kingdom in the end. He thought with the new park open more people would flock to WDW and all gates would see a boost. However the opposite happened with AK taking away guests from other parks. Now i'm not a super businessman but i'd think it would be quite obvious that if you have a new park people are going to want to go and see that instead of the older ones.

This in turn made the people funding Eisner and Disney panic and told them to get more people into the old parks quickly. So the money that would have been spent on Beastly Kingdom got put into MK, Epcot and DHS.

The other thing was that Disney had fired imagineers a few years prior to AK opening and they had been working on the Beastly Kingdom concept. These people who still had basic plans for beastly kingdom were promptly hired by Universal and hey presto the Lost Continent was made for IOA which included a dragon roller coaster inside a big castle!

There were other things in the article about AK basically saying it was a complete disaster for the first few years of operation and it had been basically neglected by Eisner as he tried to push more people into the other parks.

Like I said early I like Animal Kingdom but I struggle to find things to do there after about 2 O Clock. I think Rafiki's Conservation Station is a complete waste of a quite large space in the park, but it is cheap to run so will no doubt stay for years to come!

Sorry for rambling on I couldnt find the article so I thought i'd give you a not so brief explanation of what happened to it!

Ruddy

Bump

Has the new rollercoaster at Seaworld opened now?

Ruddy

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

new as in Manta Ruddy? Or is there another one?
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

Well, anyway, here is Manta info if that is what you were asking about Ruddy? there is a good youtube clip almost half way thru the article

SeaWorld ? Manta (The ?World? According to Jack)
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

When we went to Florida in July, we very much enjoyed Sea World. It's a very nice and immaculatley kept park with plenty to do.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Yes I meant the Manta thanks DD.

Ruddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast