Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss Disney w/o the parks? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey all! This is my first post here and I got a question for you all. I am a Disney fanatic and I can't help but to take Disney up ...
    tom.morrow is offline A-Ticket holder

Talking Disney w/o the parks?

Hey all! This is my first post here and I got a question for you all. I am a Disney fanatic and I can't help but to take Disney up on there hotel deal in early October. I am a college student so money is tight but I love the world so much that I was thinking of going to the world for 2 days without a park ticket. I would be going alone just to get away for a few days. So I ask you...
    Is it worth it?
    What would you do if you had 2 days without the parks with not alot of money?

Thanks all!

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Disney w/o the parks?

Welcome to the site!

I love exploring the resorts since it's free. Another free activitiy is watching the movies near the Beach and Yacht club beach at night. Mini golf is cheap, walking around Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk is a lot of fun. If you need to get away without going to the parks it's easy to still keep yourself busy without paying a lot of money!
    -Brent
    "It's the time of your life, so live it well" ~ a bug's life

I have a Disney book coming out in the first week of March. Stop by www.fromscreentotheme.com for more details!

mrklig is offline B-Ticket Holder

My wife and I almost did that this summer but friends of ours wanted to go to Traverse City (MI). There is so moch to do without even going to the parks. Golf, DTD, BW, visit hotel lobbies. I say DO IT!!!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Welcome to the boards. I would hop on the monorail and tour the resorts. You can start at DTD and take the bus to the TTC to save on parking.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Hi and , when you get time go over to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and well what else, introduce yourself. I would go but be forewarned that you may be tempted to get at least a one day ticket but if not, there is plenty to do. Ride the monorail all over, explore the resorts, take the ferrys and boats that are free on property. Have you decided where you are staying? Are you a golfer, I just saw somewhere they were offering specials on Tee times after a certain hour. You could go to DTD and go on the new balloon ride, I forgot how much it is but it's not much. You could also go to Fort Wilderness and see the animals or you could horseback ride over there also (for a fee). I know you can also see fireworks from areas outside of the parks, I think I have seen Illuminations from the Boardwalk area and you can see Wishes by sitting on the beach at the Polynesian. Go and relax and enjoy
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by tom.morrow View Post
    Hey all! This is my first post here and I got a question for you all. I am a Disney fanatic and I can't help but to take Disney up on there hotel deal in early October. I am a college student so money is tight but I love the world so much that I was thinking of going to the world for 2 days without a park ticket. I would be going alone just to get away for a few days. So I ask you...
    Is it worth it?
    What would you do if you had 2 days without the parks with not alot of money?

Thanks all!
    My family and I had this same issue one year when money was tight. We stayed on Hotel Plaza Boulevard to save some cash, and did not go to the parks. We revolved the trip around the Boardwalk, Downtown Disney, and sight seeing around the property. Treat it as a research project and gather as much information as you can about the parks, its cast members, and so on. I took an early morning walk each day we were there through Downtown Disney when it was deserted, yet the music was being piped in and the workers were bustling about getting ready for the day. It allowed me the opportunity to really observe the details of the architecture and just enjoy being there as opposed to running around from attraction to attraction to make sure we were getting our money's worth. I think you might be pleasantly surprised to find out how much fun doing "nothing" can be.
    Tim

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

I'd ride the monorail, check out resorts, and people watch. Going to Downtown Disney before the stores open might be a good idea if money is tight since I have a hard time NOT buying something when I stroll through the World of Disney. If possible, I'd treat myself to one, really good sit-down restaurant. I'd consider riding buses around property just to get the feel for WDW in general. There are so many beautiful landscaped areas that I take for granted when I'm just eager to get to a park.

If you think you will be satisfied doing things other than going to a park, then go for it. Otherwise, wait till you have some cash built up so you can have the trip that will be more full-filling. Anticipating a trip to Disney is part of the fun as well.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Red Helicopter is offline C-Ticket Holder

Awesome! Here's some things I would try to do:

Day 1-
    Downtown Disney. Lunch at Earl of Sandwich. Nom.
    Animal Kingdom Lodge. Watch the animals. Chill in the lobby.
    Wilderness Lodge. Chill by the fireplace. Soak in the music.

Evening 1-
    Boardwalk. Much better at night than during the day. Burger across the lake @ Beaches counter. Nom.

Day 2-
    Monorail resorts. Poly/GF/Contemporary. Kona for lunch.
    MK courtyard. Go through security, listen to the music, watch the train go by a few times.
    Monorail through Epcot. It's like flying through a park.

Evening 2-
    Back to Poly. Torch lighting ceremony
    MK fireworks. Poly beach. Get a dole whip from inside.
    The Red Helicopter
    . . . Always hangin' out around Epcot!