Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Beyond the Parks Discuss Please Help!!! Need info! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi all. We are going to WDW soon and I am looking for some info and I am stuck I cannot find it anywhere. My husband really wants to go ...
    farmgirl is offline A-Ticket holder

Please Help!!! Need info!

Hi all. We are going to WDW soon and I am looking for some info and I am stuck I cannot find it anywhere. My husband really wants to go and view the Shuttle Launch when we are down in WDW this time. However the tickets for the vister complex viewing are not on sale yet and I would not get them shipped out this close to us leaving since we are from Canada and that seems to take awhile. I was wondering if anyone has any info on off site viewing locations??? My hubby read about one but not much was written about it. I believe it was called Titusville. Does anyone know if this is a good location and if so how far ahead to you need to be there. ANY info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Please Help!!! Need info!

I saw a shuttle launch from a the parking lot of Old Town, which is only a few miles east of Disney's main gate. It was really cool and we didn't need to drive anywhere special. If you want to get really close, Titusville is quite near the launch site.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

We saw the shuttle launch last March... we drove to Tittusville and it was a lot of fun. I would suggest going early though... we went early in the day and made a beach day out of it, and it was busy-ish in the early afternoon but definitely enough room to park our car, but by an hour before the launch it was PACKED... insano busy. The titusville beach gets closed because its SO close to the launch, but theres a long strip of beach leading from the town to the beach and you can park along it. Its not a huge beach or anything, but it was fun enough. And the launch was right there, so we could actually see the shuttle before it took off on the launch pad. I would suggest bringing binoculars (even though its as close as they'll let you get to the launch and you CAN see it with your bare eyes, its still a couple miles away. Once it launches you can for sure see it though!
    I definetly recommend it though, having all the people made it fun because everyone counted down together and it was almost a carnival-like atmoshphere. Be prepared for a VERY long drive back to Orlando though.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl View Post
    Hi all. We are going to WDW soon and I am looking for some info and I am stuck I cannot find it anywhere. My husband really wants to go and view the Shuttle Launch when we are down in WDW this time. However the tickets for the vister complex viewing are not on sale yet and I would not get them shipped out this close to us leaving since we are from Canada and that seems to take awhile. I was wondering if anyone has any info on off site viewing locations??? My hubby read about one but not much was written about it. I believe it was called Titusville. Does anyone know if this is a good location and if so how far ahead to you need to be there. ANY info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Red Helicopter is offline C-Ticket Holder

A couple of things to keep in mind:

Driving to the "Space Coast," as they call it, for a launch is a major time commitment. A lot of people go to see the launches, so the Beachline (the only major road from Orlando to Canaveral) is PACKED. One trip, it was pretty much a parking lot... we ended up running out of time, so we just put the car in park, got out of our car in the middle of the highway (nobody was moving anyway) and watched it from there. It was kind of fun, since everyone else did the same thing.

That drive, which is normally around an hour each way, can easily double or triple in drive time. Especially for a night launch.

The Wild Card: launches are routinely "scrubbed" (postponed) at any time, including within the hour of launch. I can't tell you how many times I've changed plans just so I can watch the launch, only to have them scrub. Not a big deal, unless you've just spent 2 hours on the toll road... and then have to drive back. Most scrubs are due to weather, but some are technical or safety related... making it unpredictable.

That being said, it is an awesome thing to watch. If you are willing to make the time commitment, and if the weather cooperates, it will all be worth it.

On the other hand, you can see the launch from Disney... I'm even further away on the west coast of Florida, and I can see it from my house. You can't hear it from Disney, and of course it's nothing like being near Canaveral... but then you don't have to drive and deal with the crowds.

Here's what it looks like from Tampa...

This was a sunset launch, so the smoke trail was particularly beautiful. I didn't snap this photo until after the booster rockets had separated... before the split, you can easily see the flame from the rockets.

Keep in mind that this photo was taken from a location about twice as far away from Canaveral as Disney is.

One last note... our favorite place to "casually" watch a launch (not drive to the east coast) is in Epcot, on the bridge just past the UK pavilion on the way to France. Watch across the lake, in the direction of the Mexico pavilion. If there's no clouds, you can't miss it!
    The Red Helicopter
    . . . Always hangin' out around Epcot!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Agree with Red Helicopter, not only is it a major commitment for the day, but if the launch is delayed, you will spend the whole day for nothing. Last June, there was suppossed to be a shuttle launch. We met a family in the park that had purchasedd tickets and spent a day away from the parks waiting for a launch that was delayed. They went back a few days later for the next try and the launch ws delayed for a month. This left them with tickets they could not use. We saw a launch a few years back form Epcot and saw the shuttle going up right behind Mission Space. Not as close as Titusville, but still cool to see.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Ya, if youre doing it from titusville I would for sure try to go earlier in the day. We had no problems driving there and there was only a scattering of RVs parked which had been staying overnight. And yes, the ride home was pretty crazy... we had to do lots of reminding ourselves of how cool it was to see it haha.
    That being said, here are some of my pictures so you can compare:

and this is the smoke left behind

So as you can see it is a LOT closer.... I thought it was worth it, but if you really are impatient with the drive and don't really care about hearing it or being able to see the shuttle from that close then you should probably just watch it from Disney

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Great pictures zippity. you too Jonathan. Now I'm even more jealous you live so close. Dave
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

farmgirl is offline A-Ticket holder

Thank you for all your help and great information everyone. Unfortunatly they pushed the launch date to Nov 16th and we leave WDW on the 15th. A little disappointed but at least we are not out any money. Once again thanks for all your replys. I sure did appreciate each and every one of them.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

We were in Cocoa beach on the day that the Discovery went up,which was the first launch of any shuttle,right after the Columbia disenergration on its re-entry about three years earlier.We were at jetty Park,which is adjacent to Port Canaveral at the spot where the cruise ships come in.We saw a trail of fire and smoke but that was still cool.We were too far away to actually see the shuttle or rocket boosters but I do have the streaming fire and smoke rising into space on video tape.Better than nothing I say.
    Park Hopper Dad!